Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's warm and welcoming kitchen for the sharing of...

(1001 Posts)
soop Fri 30-Aug-19 14:03:34

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and
Jolly good company...

Welcome...

brew cupcake wine flowers smile (hugs) a plenty

annsixty Sat 12-Oct-19 10:25:01

I am here to close the door and turn the light off.
I will leave it to our host to open the new kitchen.

annodomini Sat 12-Oct-19 10:08:29

I saw that programme, Lins. The loss of glaciers in Alaska (and elsewhere) is shocking. There were such contrasts in Alaska too - some native Alaskans in support of the extension of the oil industry because it will bring jobs; others worried that the caribou herds, on which they depend for their meat supply, will move away to another area. I love Simon Reeves' work.

Lins1066 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:34:13

Morning all.
Did you see the Simon Reeves' programme on the Americas last Sunday grey? He flew to a glacier in Alaska and his pilot told him that it had melted significantly in the last 10 years. Very worrying.

Liaise Sat 12-Oct-19 09:31:49

Soop I had the same supermarket lavatory light problem as you a few years ago. There were only three of us there, one of whom was a teenage girl who smirked at me as she went out. The lights suddenly went out as I entered the cubicle and all I could see was a tiny red light. Why is there no emergency light?
I reported it to the security men nearby and they said it often happens!

Greyduster Sat 12-Oct-19 09:18:09

PS. We went to Austria in August 1986 and walked on the glacier at Gross Glockner. I remember it as being a most wonderful experience. I came across some recent pictures of it yesterday on the internet. It has almost disappeared. Where we walked there is no ice at all. Just rock and water. It shocked me. Food for thought.

Greyduster Sat 12-Oct-19 09:06:57

Hello the kitchen! Thought I would poke my nose in before we lose this kitchen and I have to set the sat nav for another! A lovely smiley little chap, young Otis, Maw. We had one of those donut things for GS - he loved it.
Soop I hope you and MacS are now properly settled after your travels to the hospital and your adventure in the loo which sounded quite surreal!?
Ann I am another who loves calves liver. Glad you are enjoying some nice outings.
Corner we beat you to it with the plumber I’m afraid, but I do hope yours comes soon. Ours called yesterday afternoon, out of the blue, on his way home from another job, to mend the leak under the sink and service the boiler. Problem was, I couldn’t find the cheque book to pay him, so we had to raid the piggy bank GS keeps here (fortunately, he’s loaded?)!!! I later found the cheque book in a handbag I only ever use once in a blue moon - and we now owe GS sixty quid!
I was going to make some sloe gin today, but one of my kilner jars has been used for pickling and the seal reeks of onion vinegar. I ordered some from the internet and they were returned to the sender as apparently the Post Office “damaged” them in transit!! I can’t get my head round this. How can you damage two thick rubber seals, presumably packed in a Jiffy bag, unless you let a dog chew it? As it appears they were the last of the sender’s stock, I now have to find some more. I have rung around a few places that are supposed to stock them and they no longer stock them, though they do stock the jars. Curiouser and curiouser, as they say. John Lewis may be my last hope. Either that or we will have pickled onion flavoured sloe gin?!
Thinking of all who are poorly or weighed down with trouble today. I have just seen a picture of the weather in Japan. We should fall on our knees, people!

cornergran Sat 12-Oct-19 08:03:16

Otis is adorable maw. I don’t think we’ll have any more new arrivals, but I can hope smile.

If I don’t come back please assume I’ve drowned in the rain. Food shop needed as apparently there is ‘nothing to eat’. Not quite accurate you understand but I sort of know what Mr C means.

Please everyone send positive plumber vibes for this afternoon. It’s been going on far too long although I know worse things happen it’s getting me down now.

The good morning thread tells me kitty has ceiling problems. Hope it can be sorted. Didn’t look fun.

TOYA. Be good everyone.

Namsnanny Sat 12-Oct-19 00:56:42

Yes MawB …somehow, knowing they're our 'last chance' so to speak, makes our time spent with them more....bitter sweet(?)
Enjoy every second smile

Nannytopsy Sat 12-Oct-19 00:32:42

Maw what a sweetheart! Thinking of all of you with upcoming scans etc - very best wishes. Just had a lovely evening with our two and their other halves. Littlies in bed here, mum and dad gone home for a loooong sleep! Tomorrow we have two more sets of visitors but most of the food is prepared. Cat/granddog issues but otherwise a lovely evening.
TOYA

MawB Sat 12-Oct-19 00:23:29

smile Butt away namsnanny ! He is at that lovely giggly babbly stage and a right little chatterbox.
What joy our babies’ babies do bring us!

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 23:55:01

Sorry if I'm butting in MawB ...but I couldn't resist saying what a sweet little one you have there!

MawB Fri 11-Oct-19 23:45:19

That was indeed Otis - dare I risk another (don’t anybody tell)

MawB Fri 11-Oct-19 23:43:41

Oh my goodness Soop what are you like? (humming “ ? oh dear, what can the matter be..dum de dum got locked in the lavatory?“ )
Glad there were no repercussions, though, seriously.
Carillion I wrote you a great long post about when Paw’s “urgent” heart surgery (a large aortic aneurism close to his heart and beginning to tear);was postponed by a week and then they tried to say there wasn’t a bed, to say how I sympathise, but that disappeared into thin air.
Commiserations anyway.
Calves liver is one of m favourite things - vegans look away now!
DD and Otis went home today and I have felt totally “zorsted “ if you know what I mean! Slumped on the sofa cuddled up to Hattie putting off going outside in the Biblical floods!

Synonymous Fri 11-Oct-19 23:20:40

Hello everyone, back home and just re-surfacing from the exhaustion of it all. Himself was like a dog with two tails when he was fitted with his new leg but he has had to stop wearing it for a while until the stump heals after all the rubbing and soreness from the old leg. It seems like one step forward and two back but hopefully the healing won't take too long and then I know there will be no stopping him.
So much going on but insufficient energy to post much just now although I have read up to date. Will just say TOYA and on the counter top I have left some frangipane tart which my lovely neighbour made and brought round. smile

annsixty Fri 11-Oct-19 22:49:29

Liver not lived, b....y autocorrect.

annsixty Fri 11-Oct-19 22:48:02

I am just in after a lovely evening out with a friend.
There is no holding me now.
I have to post to say I think that is Otis, not Flynn.
Vegetarians look away now, I had calves lived tonight, it was delicious.
soop I wish it was more positive news about Mcsporran but I am sure the medics are on top of it all.
To everyone else, too many to mention I send very positive vibes for you all.
Off to bed after a very good week for me.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Oct-19 22:07:08

corner with luck it will all be sorted tomorrow and you will have a working shower again. It is only when it breaks down we wonder what we are going to do.

soop that must have been a nightmare- luckily you are sensible but it could easily have gone haywire as it almost did.

I cooked myself a lovely supper, had some wine and I am about to join Tara in bed. I am hopeful we have less rain tomorrow.

Flynn looks adorable- would his mum like a few days rest? I promise he will be well looked after but I know what Tara's reaction would be so maybe it is not such a good idea.
TOYA

cornergran Fri 11-Oct-19 17:22:04

Blimey soop, that must have been scary. You could phone the supermarket and report it if you think that's a good plan. Could save someone else a really difficult experience. I imagine it was one of those sensor lights that is movement activated and not working as it should. Good for you for escaping. Forget the duster and have a bit of a rest, you deserve it.

It's been pouring all day here. Flood warnings and the fields are beginning to be under water. The sat nav diverted me from my main road route this morning as it was flooded, thank goodness it knew where I was going, I certainly didn't! Oh dear, it's too early in the year for all that to happen.

No plumber today as he's been rushing around sorting out leaks and broken heating. Fair enough. He will be here after 1pm tomorrow, assures me he won't go home until its sorted, maybe he wants to move in? He has the replacement item and so all should be well. Now why am I nervous about being so definite?

TOYA and take care everyone

Bellanonna Fri 11-Oct-19 17:11:47

Oh soop, what a nightmare!

soop Fri 11-Oct-19 17:04:28

Log-off time in my day. I send my good wishes to all of you. Empty the washing machine. Prepare MacSporran's pud. Maybe flick a duster. Not a lot of excess energy to spare right now.

TOYA Until tomorrow. smile moon

soop Fri 11-Oct-19 15:00:02

dragonfly Us lot are hoping to hear from you before too long. flowers

soop Fri 11-Oct-19 14:58:55

Feelingmyage We also enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Being warm, safe and cosy is a top priority. As for the home-baked ginger biscuits and tray bake...wow! Yes please. grin

GrannyGravy I'm really pleased to hear that your Edinburgh trip went wonderfully well. You have managed to experience much that the City has to offer. It is our top favourite location.

N&G Our Sam was always a fine figure of a canine. Perhaps I should lose a good few pounds...thing is...I need to get motivated. Far too fatigued at the moment.

Charleyg I always think that someone "pretending" to be someone who was, in life, extraordinary, such as Freddie or Elvis or Sinatra never quite rings my bell. Also, you must have been on edge waiting in that lonely location for a minicab. I would have hated it. No wonder you were relieved to return home.

I had a sort of scary incident yesterday. We were in a large supermarket and I used the ladies. The cubicle was long and narrow. On sitting down, the light went out and the cubicle was plunged in total darkness. I felt my way along the wall after I'd weed and in doing so, triggered a flush of the tap. Saw a red light and aimed for it. When I reached it, it flashed green and I believe it triggered a deodoriser. I had to fumble for the door handle. Then, having located it, I couldn't unlock the door. I spent some time in a mini panic. I thought...when will MacSporran realise that I'm locked in the loo? Eventually I managed to escape. On reflection, I should have reported the incident. Had a very elderly lady been in my position, she would have been utterly terrified. shock

soop Fri 11-Oct-19 14:38:40

Maw The photograph is absolutely delightful. I love that smile. I also like the design and colourful attributes of Flynn's cosy "container". Worth having enlarged and framed, methinks.

MawB Fri 11-Oct-19 11:01:14

Sorry soop not “Sopp” ! blush

MawB Fri 11-Oct-19 10:43:13

Hello Kitcheners - too much news to comment on you all, but glad to hear Sopp and Mcsporran are back safely, likewise charleygirl
Have waved littlest fellow and his mummy off to drive back to London so I will be on pins until I know they are back safely.
Hattie tolerated the “puppy” well and was mildly interested but as he is not yet old enough (6months) to be dropping fish fingers off the high chair she contented herself watching from the safety of her sofa.
I have so wanted to post a pic of him but have held up to now off so please don’t anybody tell her I have done so.
Hope everybody is well and not flooded/blown to smithereens.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion