Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember when..............

(122 Posts)
NanKate Fri 30-Aug-19 22:13:49

You could run down a flight of stairs and not worry about falling ?

Other topics please.

Spangler Mon 07-Sep-20 00:43:30

I can remember when cigarettes cost less than ten pence for twenty. One shilling and eleven pence halfpenny to be exact. That's how much they cost when I quit smoking.

I remember bus conductors, and the Inspector, I remember the telephone call box going from four pennies with button A & B to a sixpenny coin slot.

I remember Doctor Who police boxes, and I remember when every cyclist had lights on their bike at night.

I remember Locarno Ballrooms, and the B films at the cinema. I remember high street stores, long forgotten names like Singer, Burtons, Allders & Owen Owen and so many more.

I remember garages selling fuel by the gallon and I can remember garages before self service.

I remember when the only fast food was fish & chips, well maybe pie & mash too, but you wouldn't know pie & mash unless you are a Londoner.

I remember a time before betting shops, and when the pubs closed at ten thirty, except Sundays when they closed at ten.

I remember when the only thing allowed in a maths exam was your logarithm book. I remember when teachers wore black gowns and schools inflicted corporal punishment.

And I can remember all that without ever knowing that one day something called Wikipedia would be there for reference.

DanniRae Sat 07-Sep-19 07:32:25

Going to bed after being out to a club all Saturday night and staying there till Monday morning.
My mum used to get so cross because I didn't get up for my dinner grin

Evie64 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:06:30

Going straight into work at RCA Records in London from a party. Outrageous. Now I'm happy if I can walk up the stairs to the loo without making old lady noises! Oh, youth is wasted upon the young innit? grin

fizzers Thu 05-Sep-19 09:53:55

Come in at 4am and get up for work a few hours later...

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:07:39

Pick up something from the floor without groaning and wondering what else I can do while I'm down there.

Witzend Thu 05-Sep-19 09:05:54

...I could kneel on the floor without my knees complaining loudly afterwards.

...I didn't have to watch out for chin hairs (need my glasses on to see them). And didn't have to make sure I always have tweezers with me, in case I've missed one and only discover it when off out somewhere.

NanKate Wed 04-Sep-19 16:54:02

What fun Agran.

When we used to say things were 'swinging' or 'grotty'.

DanniRae Wed 04-Sep-19 08:19:45

So pleased for you Granwiththelongname but not keen on your Gransnet name!

I hope you enjoy your grandchild as much as we are enjoying ours - he arrived in May! grin

Grandma2213 Tue 03-Sep-19 23:52:32

Congratulations Agranbytheendofthesummer sunshine

Agranbytheendofthesummer Tue 03-Sep-19 19:23:56

I am now a gran!

See anything without my glasses ?

FranT Mon 02-Sep-19 18:13:54

All of the above except I'm a night owl, & I ditched the hair dye every 4 weeks letting the grey loose, (like it actually), still wish the night sweats would bugger off, as they're definitely not the menopause at almost 72, oh, & can I have my lovely husband back, I miss the old fart and his ability to make me laugh even when I was mad at him!

Evie64 Mon 02-Sep-19 03:20:59

This thread made me laugh so much, it's so true! Recently had my first pedicure ever. Wasn't looking forward to someone touching my feet, but just can't cut the toenails anymore without hammer and chisel. Pedicure was amazing, cut and painted toenails, sandpapered and buffed feet and finished with a foot massage. Excellent, and cheaper than the blimmin chiropodist.

Grandma2213 Mon 02-Sep-19 00:52:51

When I could listen to talking on radio and TV without being totally distracted and incensed by the plonky plink piano sounds or strange drone in the background. I have some hearing loss now so maybe it is even worse than I am actually experiencing!

Merryweather Mon 02-Sep-19 00:22:28

I can honestly say all of the above with the exception of a weak bladder and periods. At 39 I don't have much going for me!

I wear high heals - in my wheelchair ?

Chewbacca Sun 01-Sep-19 22:19:44

Thinking that you needed the loo but being able to hang on for half an hour or so. But these days, as soon as the thought "I think I need the loo" enters my head, it's almost too late!

Barmeyoldbat Sun 01-Sep-19 20:31:16

Dance around without needing to go to the loo.
Remember where you put stuff, keys glasses etc.

NanKate Sun 01-Sep-19 20:11:51

TV programmes weren’t scattered with the F word or worse ?

Mauriherb Sun 01-Sep-19 19:40:54

When I could get into ,and out of , a sports car

jocork Sun 01-Sep-19 19:04:39

I could wear heels at all! Even a low heel!
Paint my own toenails without exhausting myself for the day.

MamaCaz Sun 01-Sep-19 19:01:00

... when it didn't matter if life was shit, because time was on my side and I was confident that the best was yet to come!

travelsafar Sun 01-Sep-19 18:17:45

Aww love all these posts they are so apt for many of us smile

sue421 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:09:38

Be able to get out without checking accessibility of restaurants, cafes and not feeling am in the way!

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 18:04:53

My happy memory is of a time when I'd never heard the unutterably ugly word "brexit"

Conni7 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:34:21

All these things, plus when I didn't need the subtitles on television.

catladyuk Sun 01-Sep-19 16:41:30

Get through a whole day without something or other aching!