Gransnet forums

Chat

Gutted! awful steak

(34 Posts)
fizzers Sun 01-Sep-19 15:54:25

thought I would have something differentf this lunchtime , had grilled steak, new potatoes, peas , carrots and a mushroom sauce.

The bloody steak was awful, like chewing rubber, wouldn't mind I was really looking forward to it.

Still, the cats enjoyed it.....

BradfordLass72 Mon 02-Sep-19 09:20:25

You gave steak to the cats?!! Blimey!

Never heard of a nice beef and vegetable stew?

EllanVannin Mon 02-Sep-19 09:18:45

I've always heard good results from both Aldi and Lidl, but why is it that I feel I can't go into those shops ? I can't explain what it is either. I've looked around, that's all, but never bought anything.

Pittcity Mon 02-Sep-19 09:06:43

Another vote for Aldi and Lidl meat here.

harrigran Mon 02-Sep-19 08:27:12

Sainsbury's and M&S steak leave a lot to be desired but I have never been disappointed with steaks from Aldi.

Iam64 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:22:17

I usually buy any meat from our excellent butcher. Occasionally pick up steak from M and S, its always been good.

glammanana Mon 02-Sep-19 08:17:47

I always have a couple of Ribeye in from Aldi and have found them delicious always serve them medium with a pepper sauce and saute potatoes for a quick and easy meal.

BlueSapphire Sun 01-Sep-19 22:22:52

Always buy Sainsbury's steak, the Picana cut. It's delicious. Apparently it's a Brazilian style cut, very lean, and just melts in the mouth. I cook it medium rare; never had a bad one.

Littleannie Sun 01-Sep-19 20:36:51

We had chicken from M & S last Sunday. Totally inedible, I think even a cat would have struggled to chew it.

phoenix Sun 01-Sep-19 20:30:53

SueDonim sort of same post, sorry!

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 20:28:37

Poor lamb. sad

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 20:28:19

Lamb in my case!

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 20:28:02

Depends on the cow I suppose.

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 20:27:29

Piece of lamb I cooked at lunchtime wasn't great. Was from Waitrose. Had it before and it's been lovely. You can never tell with a piece of meat.

phoenix Sun 01-Sep-19 20:27:14

BlueBelle confused by your comment "never eaten steak, don't like it" how do you know you don't like something if you've never eaten it? confused

ginny Sun 01-Sep-19 20:25:20

We love rump steak wit roasted vegetables. The steak comes from our local co-op and we have never had a bad one.

phoenix Sun 01-Sep-19 20:23:48

Most Saturdays we have steak, salad and either new potatoes or jackets ( yes, I know boring, but Saturday supper must be reasonably healthy, quick to prepare and minimal washing up!)

The steak always comes from Lidl, usually ribeye, always absolutely yum!

annsixty Sun 01-Sep-19 19:39:44

I have also complained to Sainsbury’s about steak, nothing else incidentally, I got my money back but a meal is ruined.
Also had disappointing steak from both Aldi and M&S but mostly ok.

fizzers Sun 01-Sep-19 19:27:35

Nortsat45 have had to complain to Sainsburys before about their food, I think their quality is going downhill

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:35:30

rose. I feel a bit squeamish about it tbh, but I know that isn’t rational.

rosecarmel Sun 01-Sep-19 18:28:30

I've purchased locally sourced grass fed that was nothing to brag about, but as a rule is good-

Have you seen the stem cell meat being grown in labs?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:15:30

I buy mine from a farmer - free range, grass fed and organic. I can so recommend meat from a similar source it is delicious. In fact tonight we had beef stroganoff made with beef fillet tail end. It was so tasty and tender.

I know it is expensive, but you are putting something into your body that is as good as possible and the animal has had a good a life as is possible. I cut down on the amount of meat we eat by alternating it with fish and vegetarian.

SueDonim Sun 01-Sep-19 17:52:02

How do you know you don't like steak, BlueBelle, if you've never eaten it?

I think an awful steak is so disappointing, more so than other meals. I guess it's relatively expensive and used to be totally out of reach for most people's budgets so it feels such a waste. Lucky cats, though!

DanniRae Sun 01-Sep-19 17:41:49

I get mine from M&S - now I fancy a steak for dinner. I'll have to go and get some.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 01-Sep-19 17:32:22

Tried most places for teak, including local butchers, but have always gone back to Waitrose. I only buy it now and again and when on offer.

Nortsat46 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:31:12

fizzers we had a couple of awful steaks from Sainsbury's 'best' range on one occasion. I wrote to customer service protesting the quality and they refunded my money and gave us a £10 voucher as a goodwill gesture.

I would share your outrage with Sainburys ...