Gransnet forums

Chat

We can only stand by and watch it all happening!!!

(8 Posts)
jude2006 Mon 02-Sep-19 15:46:44

Hello all, really fed up. It certainly looks as though Boris Johnson is about to call a general election and once again all the folks living in the Buckingham constituency of John Bercow will be unable to vote.
How on earth can this be democratic, the number of people this involves are many thousands, all eliminated from voting.

gallusquine Mon 02-Sep-19 15:57:43

So as I understand it none of the Political Parties put up a candidate in the constituency of the current Speaker ?

kittylester Mon 02-Sep-19 15:59:15

They might this time as he hasn't behaved as a Speaker normally would.

lemongrove Mon 02-Sep-19 16:08:22

Exactly kitty.....impartial he is not!
Labour voted for him to be Speaker because they knew the Conservatives couldn't stand him ( he is a sort of nominal Conservative.)?

Yes, it must be annoying to not have a vote jude

jude2006 Mon 02-Sep-19 16:21:50

Very annoying, and I bet I am speaking for just about all the constituents in this area.
He is so keen to shout Out of Order to anything he doesn't like and has acted inappropriately on a number of occasions.
I just wish we could voice our opinions by being able to vote!

janeainsworth Mon 02-Sep-19 16:49:05

But when you think about it, it’s not essentially any different from being a staunch supporter of one party, in a constituency where another party has an immovable majority. Many people are effectively disenfranchised this way under FPTP.

But....anything could happen this time. There will be many who would vote Labour if the party had any leader but Jeremy Corbyn and many former Tory supporters who won’t be able to bring themselves to vote for Boris.

My hope is that the LibDems and the Greens get enough seats to hold the balance of power.

Anja Mon 02-Sep-19 16:55:36

Good man Bercow.

Nonnie Mon 02-Sep-19 17:14:02

This is the same as all those EU people, entitled to vote in the UK EU elections who were denied a vote. Not because of a rule but because of public sector incompetence.

Imo the idea of a GE is that it means DC can drag us out of the EU in the meantime. It goes alongside the threat to remove the whip from Conservative MPs who don't do as they are told.