Gransnet forums

Chat

Acupuncture

(6 Posts)
gilbo21 Mon 02-Sep-19 17:49:50

Hi all, I’m new to this forum and wonder if anyone can advise me? I’ve been “unwell” for a while due to being prescribed the wrong blood pressure tablets. Long story short I have stopped them but they gave me terrible anxiety. I have never in 63 years suffered from this and it’s horrible. My dr has started me on fluoxetine , which is ok? So far but I’ve completely lost my appetite. I’ve started acupuncture ( mainly to help the anxiety) but has anyone heard if it helps to increase your appetite?
I’d love to hear what people think confused

Esspee Mon 02-Sep-19 17:59:18

Prozac can cause a loss of appetite but once the antidepressant kicks in you may well find you gain quite a few pounds. If you are already underweight and losing more you should speak to your doctor.
I'm afraid I know nothing about acupuncture.

EllanVannin Mon 02-Sep-19 18:10:50

I suppose it's worth a try as acupuncture is used for anxiety and anxiety-related problems as an alternative to medication.

gilbo21 Mon 02-Sep-19 18:12:09

Thank you. I’m not underweight and all my health checks are normal so know I’m ok, probably the tablets that have diminished my appetite. Hopefully they’ll kick in soon

BradfordLass72 Mon 02-Sep-19 21:16:28

Prozac/fluoxatine was prescribed for me during menopause and it was very helpful...although for me the problem was depression rather than anxiety.
It didn't result in weight gain.

My doctor did warn me at the time, that as oestrogen diminishes after menopause, many women have problems with anxiety and I may develop it.
My mother certainly did. So different from her usual self.

I do hope you feel better and more in control soon.

gilbo21 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:56:05

Thank you bradfordlass 72, hopefully they will work, I’m just suffering a bit with side effects at the moment !