Gransnet forums

Chat

What to get the carer?

(17 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 03-Sep-19 22:49:21

In the end I have bought her a very nice scarf - not a posh silky one, but one that I think might suit her. An attractive mix of colours, and quite large - almost a shawl. I suspect she will be off back to Scotland soon and it will be chilly there.

I have just come back from a rehearsal and she has done her back in moving my OH. We are waiting for a gantry hoist - and we wait, and we wait - just as we have done for every tiny thing we have needed. Life is one long fight. Sigh.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Sep-19 22:36:57

Not clothes if she’s anything like me I don’t like people choosing my clothes they rarely get it right if she has no settled home, flowers wouldn’t work either
I wonder if a voucher for a nearby theatre would be a treat or
for a massage or an hour or two at a spa kind of voucher I know I d like that
Failing that I d settle for a voucher for a departmental store so she could use it on anything not just clothes

farview Tue 03-Sep-19 22:10:50

...a nice book...or book voucher?

MissAdventure Tue 03-Sep-19 20:23:25

How about a nice pen?

I'm assuming she needs to write up notes when working.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 03-Sep-19 20:11:35

M&S do some lovely warm wraps, I have two, they are £35 but not sure how much you want to spend. One size will fit all.

GabriellaG54 Tue 03-Sep-19 19:55:03

Good Lord. A swathe of ads for blouses has appears on my phone. confused

GabriellaG54 Tue 03-Sep-19 19:53:17

gould would

GabriellaG54 Tue 03-Sep-19 19:52:37

I gould get her a baggy blouse. You could get it online quite cheaply. A colour you've seen her wear.
Loose clothing doesn't have to be an exact size. Try to see the size label in a cardigan she might leave lying around on a chair...?

angelic Tue 03-Sep-19 18:15:30

not on the high street, has nice different things and reasonably priced

B9exchange Tue 03-Sep-19 17:54:29

I don't know how much you want to spend, but a washbag with really nice shower gel, body lotion etc in it? Or if you had more in mind, what about one of the experience gifts, they don't all have to involve food? smile

mumofmadboys Tue 03-Sep-19 17:46:39

Could you get a voucher- M and S , Next, or whatever and then she can buy what she wants?

Luckygirl Tue 03-Sep-19 17:44:32

Thanks for the ideas - taste in scarves/clothes hard to get a grip on. She has the biggest boobs I have ever seen; and tends to wear sloppy stuff; but is clearly not remotely fashion conscious.

Looked at Penhaligans - a bit out of my budget league!! All our money is taken up with paying carers!

tiredoldwoman Tue 03-Sep-19 17:41:21

Maybe perfume or nice soaps along with a lovely card thanking her for her excellent help and care ? Although a £20 note inside the card would save you the worry of deciding on a present and getting it on time ?

Lessismore Tue 03-Sep-19 17:38:31

What is her taste in clothes? A scarf? a bracelet?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Sep-19 17:33:31

Penhaligans do nice stuff.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Sep-19 17:32:50

Nice soap?

Luckygirl Tue 03-Sep-19 17:30:43

Live-in carer leaving on Saturday and she has worked hard so I would like to get her a gift. But what?

It has to be small and lightweight as she lives out of a suitcase and has no settled home - so I do not want to load her up with stuff. She is late 40s, single, no particular interests that I know of.

I need to be able to get it online and delivered by Friday as no shops here.

She is overweight so would not thank me for chocolates.

I am not keen on giving money as things are tight here and I do not want to be stingy - would not even know what an appropriate amount might be.

So.......any ideas?