Gransnet forums

Chat

Raging! Disgusting people

(76 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 06-Sep-19 11:45:52

My DiL and DD run a serviced apartment business. They work very hard and the apartments have just been refurbished to a high standard. Most occupants are nice people and they have lots of return business.
Yesterday a family checked out and SiL discovered that this group had comprehensively trashed the place. New furniture ruined and even filth up the walls. What animals!! It will take days to clean and refurnished as well as being unlettable in the meantime. I'm just ranting really. How can people think that's somehow OK or that they can get away with it?! They will be charged for the destruction of this property but would then put nasty reviews on websites. Luckily DD photographed all the ruined rooms so could happily post them. Maybe insurance might help as it's not exactly normal wear and tear.
Some people!!! angry

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Sep-19 11:04:48

I don’t understand the mentality of some ppl, it does make you wonder how they actually live in their own homes, just what goes through their minds to be so disrespectful

Tigertooth Sat 07-Sep-19 10:46:06

My friend rented her place through the council whilst she tried life in a new city before committing to sell.
The council put s family in there - a seriously beautiful huge house / they took the doors off, broke the sinks and even pulled the kitchen flooring up - but then they continued to live in it.
Dog mess all over the garden. I just
don't understand why they wouldn’t want to live somewhere nice.

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:33:44

jura they dont. They have 50 apartments in that block. People come and go for varying lengths of time. Its not a long term letting place.

DS64till Sat 07-Sep-19 10:32:01

Isn’t it criminal damage If it’s deliberate . It’s not on . If they leave a bad review I would counteract it with the photos of the damage etc

Annaram1 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:24:18

My little Cyprus flat has been let out several times through an agent who did absolutely nothing, except collect his 15%. I asked for checks to be done on all prospective tenants but they never did. I was lucky in that the flat was never trashed although most tenants stole anything they could, even the kettle. It cost a lot to restock everywhere. In the end I got the wonderful Irish complex manager to check out the tenants (not the agent) and that was the end of all the theft. He also did spot checks occasionally. I am lucky now as his daughter is now my tenant and I am charging her minimal rent as I know she will not steal anything when she leaves.

jura2 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:23:55

Jane, do they do an inspection prior guests leaving, or not?

Magrithea Sat 07-Sep-19 10:20:43

Surely if they have proof of the damage any bad reviews can be rebutted and the website should take them down. It's unacceptable to trash a place you're renting, long or short term!

icanhandthemback Sat 07-Sep-19 10:18:32

The rules about renting are getting ever tighter for Landlords, including the amount of deposit you can take. My experience with tenants is mainly good but if you get a bad one, it can wipe out any rent you have ever received.
Strangely enough, the worst tenants have been the adult children of friends so we try to avoid that these days. One of these rented a first floor flat from us which had been completely refurbished including new doors, carpets and wallpaper. Without our knowledge she moved in a boyfriend who punched a hole in every door. She got 3 cats from a rescue who seemed to avoid the litter tray whenever possible and damaged the wallpaper in every room. It was awful. She only lived there for 4 months, moving out suddenly when the relationship broke down. Her parents, a GP and Social Worker, unfazed by her antics.

dizzygran Sat 07-Sep-19 10:15:58

We re rent a house to a couple and are very pleased. We visit regularly to check smoke alarms. It's worth going through an agent as they also hav a duty to check the property.

polnan Sat 07-Sep-19 10:05:40

many news items regarding bad or poor landlords, my dil and dh have bungalows for rent.. and the work they are put to when tenants leave! unbelievable..

more news items needed on the good landlords and poor ie disgusting tenants

Coco51 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:56:31

Perhaps they should charge a deposit which was non-returnable if they cause damage or warn people that criminal damage such as this will be reported to the police. Name and shame on social media even. Is there a network of letting agents who could be alerted?

MissAdventure Sat 07-Sep-19 09:51:46

I wouldn't be too sure of that.
The flat above me was rented through an agency, and the tenants were foul.

I complained regularly to the agency about their parties, drugs and drink fuelled antics.

Nothing was done, so it was some small consolation when I heard the agency boss vomiting after having to empty out 5 buckets of poo that they'd kindly left behind.

Rosina Sat 07-Sep-19 09:49:31

My son had his flat completely ruined by a couple who didn't pay rent after the first three months. It took for ever to get them to leave, and the flat was indescribable. The kitchen was completely ruined- cupboad doors off, tops burned, cooker broken. It cost thousands to return it to a decent, lettable state, and he relies on that income to support his mortgage on his family home. As a consequence of no rent and the damage he was struggling for a couple of years to recover financially. The government now wants to give tenants bomb proof agreements, which will cause so many problems for landlords unlucky enough to get a bad tenant, and I heard that Jeremy Corbyn is planning to make private landlords offer 'Right to Buy' to their tenants.

Coconut Sat 07-Sep-19 09:44:36

I’ve had previous experience of bad tenants ie. ripping off expensive Italian kitchen tiles and replacing them with cheap white ones ?. You only have to watch some of the tv progs on tenants/landlords to see that some people live worse than wild animals and have zero respect for anything. We now rent out our property thro an agent so have regular checks made, all tenants vetted etc and altho you pay, you do have peace of mind.

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 08:34:41

The apartments do have hundreds of positive reviews - which they deserve!

BradfordLass72 Sat 07-Sep-19 07:48:12

By jingoes, I'd risk a negatie review to get what they owed for repairs and cleaning and I'd take them to court if they didn't pay.

Positive reviews always outweigh the bad ones and it only takesa few loyal friends to write a few honest ones and any sensible person looking for an apartment will be able to see it's a reliable outfit.

Davidhs Sat 07-Sep-19 07:15:43

You just can’t tell in advance what a tenant is going to be like in advance. We had a well dressed young man who introduced himself as a Jehovas Witness, ideal we thought but don’t try and preach to us.
6 months on we kicked him out for growing cannabis in the bathroom, unbelievable, his final leaving words were “please don't tell the church”.

One was a tragedy, a girl around 20 took a flat after parting with her boyfriend, she was diabetic, her mother pleaded with her not to live alone. Mother phoned her every morning, one day the phone wasn’t answered, she had had a hypo, didn’t regain consciousness, so sad.

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 06:58:27

Don't worry. The photos would only be used if the tenants had posted a bad review on websites.

harrigran Sat 07-Sep-19 00:01:30

We have flats in our street and most of them see a change of tenancy about every six months.
We see trashed furniture being carried out and carpets are thrown out and renewed. We spoke to a lady who was letting her flat and she told us that a woman paid the deposit and first months rent and then not another penny. She had to go to court to get her evicted, the tenant trashed the place before she left. A professional woman in work and she just didn't feel the need to pay her rent.
Another flat and the tenants did a moonlight flit after borrowing my neighbours toolbox, they had used the tools to dismantle all the furniture and took it when they left and they hadn't paid the rent for about 6 months. Cost the landlord more to put right and refurnish than the few months rent they paid.
Some people are just out and out pigs with no respect for other people's property.

justwokeup Fri 06-Sep-19 23:33:42

I hope the insurance will cover the damage and loss of revenue for them. I expect they were prepared for bad tenants but definitely not that bad. I personally wouldn't post pictures of the damage as it may come across as unprofessional.
A friend rented out her family home - with regret - to a young couple as she was downsizing and not sure what to do with the house. She rushed round there, cursing having rented it to them, when the couple said they'd had a fire. She found the house was immaculate and newly decorated when she arrived and the fire had been caused by an electrical fault in the washing machine she had left them. blush You never can tell, can you?

annodomini Fri 06-Sep-19 23:01:59

When my DGD was a student, she had a holiday job with her landlord, cleaning up the appalling mess other students had left in their rented houses and flats - sometimes doing a bit of redecorating too. She kept her own house-mates on their toes and is now houseproud in her own home.

Evie64 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:21:43

PS: When my daughter and her husband separated about 14 years ago, they rented their house in Surrey out until it sold. Their tenants stopped paying the rent after 5 months and because the Estate Agent didn't get their signatures on a vital piece of paper my daughter had to go through the courts to get them evicted. They trashed the house before they left and left used needles all over the blood splattered living room carpet! Horrendous for her poor love. By the time she had paid for all the legal fees, unpaid mortgage and overdraft fees she was hardly left with anything. She has had to rent since then, but has always been a very good tenant and kept the pace clean and tidy and always paid her rent on time. You can never tell who you are letting into your property.

Evie64 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:14:17

We live in Exeter, a University town. We looked at properties to buy and rent out to students for our pension. I was so horrified by the state of those that had been rented out already, we quickly changed our minds. Unbelievable filth and mess. How these kids are dragged up is beyond me!

Jane10 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:05:14

It's a serviced apartment block/hotel. Lets can be for as short as one night but are usually a bit longer.

jura2 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:00:24

Just wondering, are these very short lets, days, weeks, months?
Surely you insist on substantial deposit and have inspection before departure, no?

Used to be a Director at a Timeshare resort- with many units, most Saturday to Saturday, and a few Sunday to Sunday. We had many bad experiences of damage or theft- but due to weekly nature with 10am check-out- it would have been much much more expensive to hire enough staff to do check-out, than pay for repairs or replacements. 99% of exchangees were honest and decent.