Gransnet forums

Chat

The things that arrive in the post!!

(24 Posts)
Willow500 Fri 06-Sep-19 11:57:33

Parcel Force arrived an hour ago with a huge box containing a bass drum, snare and various fittings! Not for the first time our son had ordered vintage drums to be delivered to us which we've reluctantly happily sent on to him in NZ at a huge cost. This time it will probably cost circa £200 to send them - probably more than he's actually paid for the kit. There's still another tom to come yet too hmm

What strange things have others received in the post?

MiniMoon Fri 06-Sep-19 13:56:13

May I ask, why can't your son's drums be delivered directly to New Zealand? And does he reimburse you the postage when you send them on?
The only things that are delivered here that surprise me, are things that DH had ordered and omitted to tell me about.

Sussexborn Fri 06-Sep-19 14:05:07

We have DS’s didgeridoo in our loft. Bought whilst he was travelling. His own loft has been converted into a very swish bedroom with en-suite. I don’t think his partner would appreciate us returning it.

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:07:41

I agree with MiniMoon I actually would stop now.

glammanana Fri 06-Sep-19 14:27:54

As much as I love bothmy sons to bits they would be paying for the items to be sent straight to them,its not that I can't afford to pay the postage it is a case of not being taken for granted.

glammanana Fri 06-Sep-19 14:29:09

Willow If it is a case of the seller only posting within the UK then I apologise.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 06-Sep-19 14:35:34

My son has orders sent here (he lives in a shared house though I suppose that’s why) but I just text him saying so-and-so has arrived I’ll leave it in your room! He can get it next time he visits.

Willow500 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:32:25

Unfortunately the items he's bought are for his vintage kit (he's has a drum school and plays professionally) but they're from the UK and the sellers won't deliver outside this country. I think in this case we will have to come to some arrangement about him paying for the carriage - he's coming for Christmas but I don't think they'll get these in their luggage for the return journey grin To be fair he has offered to pay previously but we've waived it - he's always appreciated it (and it is his birthday at the end of this month) smile

BlueBelle Fri 06-Sep-19 20:21:41

To be honest if he’s coming at Christmas I would let him sort out taking it back and if it won’t fit he can post it to his own address
That’s really asking too much my son is in NZ and postage is hugely expensive and takes a long time too they don’t get deliveries every day like we do but he would put the money in my bank without even discussing it
Mind you if you are a bit flush then that’s nice for you to do

Willow500 Sat 07-Sep-19 07:28:26

Postage over there is ridiculous isn't it? I sent a small box containing my GS's birthday gifts the other day and the cheapest online quote was £27. It is the other side of the world though so understandable. Amazon now deliver some items overseas but of course the toys he wanted weren't on the list grin

BradfordLass72 Sat 07-Sep-19 07:40:23

In yet another amazing coincidence I have, just an hour ago received something in the mail which made me laugh and shocked at the same time. I am a lady of tender sensibilties.

I ordered some orthotic, gel insoles, a possible remedy for plantar facciitis, and eagerly opened the packet to find - 5 sets of nipple covers!

They are flower-shaped, self stick and shimmering gold.

My son nearly choked with laugher and told me to keep my private life to myself.

Willow500 Sat 07-Sep-19 07:43:46

ROFL Bradford lass - that's hilarious! Are you planning on trying them out?!! grin

DanniRae Sat 07-Sep-19 07:45:47

grin grin BL72

lemongrove Sat 07-Sep-19 09:31:16

?apologies BradfordLass I must have given your address by mistake.....they were supposed to send those to The Argy Bargy Bar, any chance you can redirect the parcel?

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:28:35

A very nice mahogany chair was once delivered to my MiL. She hadn't ordered it. It was just left in her porch all neatly packaged and obviously from a large store in town. She phoned them to say that this had been delivered in error to the wrong recipient and that's the last she ever heard of it. We still had it when we moved house. We'd thought we'd better hang on to it just in case. Its been 20 years now so I suspect that John Lewis may have forgotten about it!

lemongrove Sat 07-Sep-19 10:35:52

That has reminded me Jane10 that about 12 years ago, a parcel arrived from Lakeland ( I do order from there from time to time).It contained a very nice tablecloth, a large one,
No doubt expensive.I rang them and they said they would pick it up.They didn’t.I rang once more and they apologised and said they would def collect it.They didn’t.
We moved house six months later.I still use the tablecloth.?

lemongrove Sat 07-Sep-19 10:39:35

Even if we hadn’t moved house, they still wouldn’t have collected it.
DH ordered a picture he liked online, it arrived and was dreadful, he rang to say he didn’t like it and the seller refunded him.....but said ‘keep the picture’ !
We gave it to a charity shop.

bikergran Sat 07-Sep-19 21:42:38

I ordered a breathing apparatus for my dad its supposed to strengthen your lungs.

Its shape is a sort or u shape at one end, then there is a straight bit about the size of a normal cumberland sausage.
The sausage bit is made of hard plastic, the u shaped bit is soft rubber.

It came in one of those grey plastic envelopes.

Just hope the post man didn't have a good feel of it! blush

lemongrove Sat 07-Sep-19 21:45:09

?

SpringyChicken Sat 07-Sep-19 21:55:22

I came home to a parcel left on the doorstep - something else our son had ordered but omitted to tell us. I grumbled to myself, the courier might have left it on the ledge beside the door. Then I tried to pick it up - could barely push it let alone lift it. I had to open the box in situ - and carry the gym weights indoors one by one.

Chewbacca Sat 07-Sep-19 21:57:13

I came home from work one day to find a card from Royal Mail saying that they'd tried to deliver a parcel but had taken it back to the sorting office. When I collected it, it was 12 individually boxed knickers. Some full briefs, some bikini briefs and some thongs; all in black and all different sizes. I had no idea who sent them or who they were meant for but I never fancied going round knocking on my neighbours asking if they were expecting a job lot of knickers! To this day, I never did find out where they'd come from or they were meant for. And the pity of it was that only the thongs were in my size and I definitely didn't want those!

BradfordLass72 Sun 08-Sep-19 03:11:02

Re: nipple covers

Funny thing is, in my early 40's I attended belly dancing classes as a means of keeping fit. It was great fun and I got quite proficient at it, including the old swinging tassels trick - both going one way and each a different way.
It's actually quite easy when you know how.

The tassels were sewn to the outside of my sparkly bra but I'm just wondering if I could use them stuck on with these things, to re-learn how to shimmy and twirl.

Might give my elserly male neighbours a thrill - or more likely a heart atack!

Too much information? grin

DanniRae Sun 08-Sep-19 07:27:09

Ha Ha BL72 - you make me laugh! grin

Willow500 Sun 08-Sep-19 08:28:45

BL72 grin

I've just remembered many years ago just after we'd got married and were in our first house we came home one day to find a shopping bag hanging on the back door handle. It contained sausages, fish fingers and a cherry pie. We had absolutely no idea where it had come from and were very suspicious about the contents so threw them in the bin. A few days later my MIL asked if we could give her the shopping bag back!! It seemed my 14 year old sister in law had brought it round and finding no one in just left it in the back yard. We were only 17 at the time so very naive blush