Gransnet forums

Chat

Could we knock Politics on the head this weekend?

(27 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:38:12

If lots of us start a new thread then perhaps we could have a political free weekend.

Less stress is good for us.

M0nica Sat 07-Sep-19 18:45:33

Some times one just need to withdraw and recuperate. Lets face it soldiers in a war are withdrawn every so often for R&R - rest and recuperation.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 07-Sep-19 17:44:40

I did it too and got some useful thoughts and answers to a problem I've been thinking about for a while!

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Sep-19 16:23:44

I’m off to look for your thread MOnica

I’m at a bit of a loss to understand that wanting a break from something means one doesn’t care.

M0nica Sat 07-Sep-19 16:02:31

I have done as I said and posted a new thread. Now the rest of you do it. I am sure you can think of something, even if it is only the weather.

M0nica Sat 07-Sep-19 15:43:30

The best way forward is for each of us to start a thread on a totally non-political subject then there will be so many threads on a wider and more diverse range of subjects the political threads will hardly be noticed.

Just off to do that.

NonnaW Sat 07-Sep-19 15:39:27

I don’t read the political threads but it’s amazing how many innocuous posts suddenly seem to have brexit introduced into them. I’m with the OP on this one. A politics free weekend sounds bliss.

rockgran Sat 07-Sep-19 12:01:25

I read that as "can we knock Policiticans on the head..." and was about to agree!grin

Septimia Sat 07-Sep-19 11:58:25

As I said in a much earlier thread, whatever happens, we ordinary folk will carry on carrying on and caring for each other as usual - as long as we don't let politics divide us!

The political system has gone mad, but there's no reason why we should, too.

Nonnie Sat 07-Sep-19 11:06:23

Why read a thread that doesn't interest you? Does anyone read all the threads, I don't? In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of people contribute the threads they haven't read because it often looks as if they haven't seen what's gone on before.

How can you stop thinking about something which concerns you? Imo only those who don't understand the consequences of Brexit would not be concerned.

Luckygirl Sat 07-Sep-19 11:00:57

It is indeed a mess - but nothing we can do - I let it wash by me and do not worry. What will be will be.

I long ago decided not to exercise my brain over things I have no power to change. I have quite enough to worry about nearer home!

mcem Sat 07-Sep-19 10:52:50

It's easy to skip any thread that upsets or bores you.
Just accept that the world won't stop turning and brexit/politics won't be resolved by ignoring the issues. By all means opt out but please don't direct those of us who are genuinely involved to join you.
Head in sand? Riding unicorns? Cloud cuckoo land?
Your choice of course but my choice will be Sunday papers, Andrew Marr and probably further discussions on GN.
(Makes me think about the attitudes that see women as airheads who don't understand politics and who think it's rude to discuss such topics in polite company.)
Blooming sure that if my DGD wants to discuss the current shambles at any time, I'll actively encourage her!

NanaandGrampy Sat 07-Sep-19 10:32:32

I don’t think skipping politics for a weekend is sticking your hear in the sand Jura , it’s been done to death and the. Moon man seems to have little he/she can do to influence at this moment .

I don’t think the OP was ‘imposing’ any direction on the forum * ilovecheese* just making a suggestion - and just as you suggested she skip political threads you could skip any non political ones ?

I’m all for a weekend without it - I’m sure Brexit eat al will all still be there on Monday ?

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:30:24

There is absolutely nothing to know just now! However, keep torturing yourself if you want to.

lemongrove Sat 07-Sep-19 10:29:46

We can skip if wanted but there are too many threads now essentially all saying the same thing.
Not necessary.

jura2 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:29:46

Pamela, don't worry about me- having a wonderful time in Tuscany - moving from Hôtel to an apartment today and a couple of hours to kill. Not even Brexit will spoil this for us- does not stop us thinking and keeping abreast of developments- and thank goodness OH feels just the same as I do. But thanks for caring.

jura2 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:26:47

just skip glamma - your right. Quite beyond me why anyone would not want to know about their country and their future - but it is your prerogtive to put your head in the sand. Enjoy.

glammanana Sat 07-Sep-19 10:24:39

Anything relating to politics is banned from my house at present I am just so bored with the whole scenario,I pass on the posts relating to anything political on the forum.
Why there are so many posts relating to the same topic is beyond me its quite boring really.

Ilovecheese Sat 07-Sep-19 10:05:28

It is perfectly possible for anyone that wants a politics free weekend to have one. Just dont read the politics threads. But dont try to impose your view on to others.

Sara65 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:03:04

I agree Pamela, however you look at it, it’s a mess, with little sign of being resolved.

I’ve banned my husband from talking to me about it, because quite frankly, I’m sick to death of it all. Loathe Boris, loathe Corbyn, spent a lot of time at work yesterday listening to a colleague raging against Mogg, so yes please, let’s have a politics free weekend.

Ilovecheese Sat 07-Sep-19 09:58:30

But no one has to read the politics threads if they don't want to. We do have choice whether to take an interest or not.

No one can police this forum to decide what subjects can be discussed on any day, just ignore the ones you dont want to join in.

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:52:53

Pointless to worry. There's nothing realistic that we can do right now. The situation shifts continually. Constant rumination on the topic is just like pressing bruises. Go out everyone and have a lovely weekend.

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:45:06

I have to go to work now so I won’t be thinking about it for at least 5 hours.

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:43:27

So Jura just what are you going to do this weekend to sort it all out?

If you are just going to sit and worry what are you achieving apart from being unhapppy?

AllTheLs Sat 07-Sep-19 09:43:15

I agree with you Pamela. I was awake until the early hours last night stewing about it all. I resolved to try to ignore it for a few days at least (and now here I am not ignoring it!!)

jura2 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:40:25

NO chance, on the edge of this diabolical crisis- I'm afraid. Just skip political threads if you want to bury your head in the sand.