Gransnet forums

Chat

This is not a thread about a thread but...

(111 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 09-Sep-19 11:39:01

... on another thread a poster says she is genuinely afraid of the turmoil we are in re Brexit.

Is it me?

The only think I'm scared of at the moment is the fact that I've got to have a clean and polish at the dentist tomorrow. And other slight bodily disorders. Brexit just never enters into my busy little worry-world. I just feel I am watching with interest from the sidelines.

I have put this under Chat deliberately. Not politics.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:06:19

All this thread seems to show is that all the people saying they have better things to do, etc., have some concern about something or why spend a morning having a go at people who express concern or even fear? Why take a whole thread trying to prove you are not one of "those" people?

janeainsworth Tue 10-Sep-19 15:05:53

gonegirl what do you hope will be the outcome of your tactical voting?
My hope is that enough people in my constituency will do the same as I do, and that we have a LibDem or. Green MP instead of the present Tory incumbent. What I don’t want to happen is that the anti-Tory vote is split, allowing the Tory to get back in.

I’m also hoping that enough people in other constituencies do the same thing and that neither the Conservatives nor Labour have a working majority and that the voice of the Centre is once again loud enough to be heard.

What good would any of that do? A single action obviously won’t change anything. But people are influenced by what they see others doing, thinking and writing and if enough people act, opinions will change, a tipping point will be reached and change will be effected.

Urmstongran Tue 10-Sep-19 15:00:54

I didn’t say FB was ‘nasty’. I know one can join and set preferences etc. but I just never fancied it.

A choice I made years ago and I’ve never regretted it.

And as you say Labaik it helps fuelthe worriers amongst us. I’d rather swerve it!

Labaik Tue 10-Sep-19 14:44:40

I think if Urmstongran saw some of the stuff on the pro Brexit facebook pages she might actually start worrying. As it is I, too, stick with friends, family and groups that are pro EU, which doesn't mean that I don't dip into the anti EU pages to get a 'balance'.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 13:55:30

I don't see any nastiness on Facebook - as Nonnie says, I limit my account to close friends and family. I don't have a Twitter account.

Urmston - as one of GN's most vocal supporter of Brexit I would have been very surprised if you had said you were worried by it.

Nonnie Tue 10-Sep-19 13:48:47

Urmston Facebook is what you make it, you choose your friends and your privacy settings which means I don't see the nastiness. Twitter is very different, anyone can see what you write and can say what they like

Urmstongran Tue 10-Sep-19 13:43:31

I’m not a worrier by nature. What will happen, will happen. I will deal with ‘whatever’ then.

I think this febrile situation isn’t helped by FB apparently - (though I’ve never used it - one source of ‘worry’ less).

Ditto Twitter.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 13:41:15

I'm sure you not the only one who believes that Callistemon

I agree Miss smile flowers

Callistemon Tue 10-Sep-19 13:37:49

Is it just me who thinks that Brexit is the least of our worries and will pale into insignificance over the next ten years?

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 13:18:37

It seems we have a different take on things, maybe we can agree to disagree? thanks

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 13:14:20

Absolutely - there's nastiness on both sides, but I don't think I've seen any Leavers worrying about leaving (and consequently "being beside yourself with worry, using the fact that your worry means you're better than those who aren't wringing their hands". They seem to be relishing the idea of a no deal and 'getting the job done'.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 13:13:36

She hasn't stayed away though, SirChenjin.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 13:11:22

And as for 'getting worked up'.. well, read the brexit threads to see that almost every day.
"Brexshitters"
"Remoaners" and all manner of other nasty things people say about others.

Labaik Tue 10-Sep-19 13:10:56

Being on this forum changes nothing and just makes me feel quite sad. However, right from before the referendum this forum has provided me with information that I would have struggled to find elsewhere and I am most grateful to the people that provide it. On the downside a short time on here often makes me feel the way that I do when I have abuse shouted at me when I'm wearing pro EU clothing or on a rally; a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that doesn't go away. Why should those who worry about how Brexit might affect other people be accused of thinking they're better than those who don't? I very much doubt that any person who admits to worrying about the current situation hasn't been proactive.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 13:10:37

Which 'people'?

And that GP seems very sensible - I know I've certainly stayed away from more robust online forums when my depression has been bad. If that user feels that her mental health is suffering as a result then she's doing the right thing by staying away.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 13:07:00

People do.

One member here said her doctor had advised her to stay off because of her health!

We see the same thing with family issues; people who worry themselves sick, and others who tell them its because they somehow love their families more than anyone else.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 13:04:47

Really Gone? I don't.

Who is "wringing their hands" and "getting worked up"*Miss*?

Labaik Tue 10-Sep-19 13:02:46

Why do people think that No Deal on Oct 31 will bring this debacle to an end? It would just be the beginning...

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 13:00:47

Being proactive is good; writing letters, marching, signing petitions.

Arguing on a website, getting worked up to the point of being offensive to others, being beside yourself with worry, using the fact that your worry means you're better than those who aren't wringing their hands - well, that solves nothing at all.

Nonnie Tue 10-Sep-19 12:58:37

How can you stop worrying if you are bothered by all the shenanigans? I can't choose whether to worry or not. I've written to my MP 3 times, had one reply, I tweet and Fb and will continue to do so. Occassionally (twice) I find someone with the opposite view who wants to engage in the discussion but mostly I just get insults on Twitter or mindless soundbites. It is hard sometimes to believe that people voted based on a reasoned assessment.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 12:54:22

I very much doubt he wants a No Deal.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 12:53:45

Leaving the EU was the choice made.

This can't drag on forever. If there can be no deal other avenues have to be explored.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 12:52:31

Idiotic followers as in the Cabinet

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 12:44:26

He is just trying to get a job done that the people voted should be done

Nonsense. A no deal was never an option - no-one in their right mind has ever wanted that (apart from this idiot and his idiotic followers).

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 12:43:17

I haven't done any of those things Elegran. What good would any of that do? I just want this awful job completed now so we can concentrate on the future.