Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't keep away.

(78 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:05:52

A small pop-up shop has appeared in a village near me. It sells beautiful items...homeware, silk dressing gowns (£79) all sorts.
I passed it after having coffee with a friend and went inside 'just to look'.
I ended up buying a huge dark pink faux dahlia and a length of pale plum-coloured grosgrain ribbon to tie up the white cotton voile drapes in my bedroom which puddle on the floor.
I wascsoemrelybtempted by some gorgeous pale pink plates but managed to walk out having only splurged £22 blush
The shop has an online presence so no doubt I'll be buying some special C gifts there over the coming weeks.
What type of shops intrigue you and do you end up making a random purchase?
The name of the shop is Curated Living, www.curatedliving.co.uk

Maggiemaybe Fri 13-Sep-19 23:38:22

I'm very pleased with them, Gabriella. They're upcycled from old jewellery, in silver and tin. I very nearly succumbed to some more beautiful geegaws when I went to collect them, but resisted (for now). The emporium is always busy - it's lovely to see businesses like this taking off.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:59:57

That sounds a wonderful place Maggiemaybe and Lowry scenes painted on earrings...what a talking point. ?

Magrithea Thu 12-Sep-19 17:32:54

I'd keep away GabriellaG!! having looked at the website and seen the prices this could be an expensive addiction!!!!

GeorgyGirl Thu 12-Sep-19 16:00:34

I can't walk past a bookshop.

Tangerine Wed 11-Sep-19 21:27:14

It's fatal if I go in a book shop.

Scrappydo Wed 11-Sep-19 21:26:21

Car boot sales. Have got some real bargains lately.

Evie64 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:47:13

I find The Range hard to resist. I always end up buying more than I planned to in there. They are on-line too.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Sep-19 20:37:20

I just love all shops. Just got back today from the Netherlands and I cycled and shopped.

NotAGran55 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:26:10

onehundredstars.co.uk/

Here is the website direct for One Hundred Stars ⭐️

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:45:33

I'm rather keen on T K Maxx. They have fabulous bags and toiletries. A couple of months ago I got the best pair of gardening gloves ever. Wish I'd bought two pairs as it's often a case of 'when it's gone, it's gone.' Very rarely come out of there empty handed.

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:29:18

Homesense ? Never heard of it. but Googled the name and.... ???
It looks a nightmare and definitely not a pleasurable place to shop.
Even Primark looks upmarket compared to the interior of Homesense.

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:51:14

The trunk looks good after it's makeover grandetanteJE65
It's amazing what a little tlc can do and it's a handy place to put extra blankets, pillows and sheets.

toscalily Wed 11-Sep-19 16:49:58

Can't resist a really good Deli, all the lovely cold cuts, cheese & preserves. Can spend ages in a garden centre wishing I could buy far more plants than I can afford (or have room for) and charity shops for a good rummage.

Eva2 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:48:14

I love cloth bunting. Have a draw full which l intend to use next summer to celebrate the arrival of my first granddaughter.

GabriellaG54 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:46:40

GrannyGravy13
There is another very similar shop in Godalming which has branches in other areas. It's called Biggie Best. Throws, cashmere jumpers and wraps, table linen, lamps, some curated furniture, dishes and...well, you might like to look at their website.

I've bought napkins, velvet cushions (with feather filling) and a cream linen lampshade from there and can vouch for the quality.
I might add that I don't know the owners or anyone who works there so no vested interest. ?

Diane227 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:45:20

Waterstones bookshop. Especially at Christmas. Theres something for everyone and I usually buy more than I can comfortably carry , as presents.

Neilspurgeon0 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:34:10

We have an ‘upcyclers paradise’ near us, an emporium called Robins Nest. They have all manner of the sort of stuff you would love to find in a charity shop but regrettably no longer seem to see. My grand daughter (11) and could spend all day there, they even have a garden centre style cafe so it is a great C gift place, and frankly not overly expensive either

Summerstorm Wed 11-Sep-19 16:27:25

Middle isles in Lidl and Aldi and any craft, material, wool shop

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:11:05

We have some really good charity shops here.

Recent buys included an old wooden railway trunk, that only needed a little wood stain and paint on the metal rims to look good again, and is just what I needed in our bedroom, a dolls' chest of drawers, a smart leather jacket and a box shaped bag that will make a dolls' steamer trunk.

Apart from that, I can't keep away from Euro shop and Tedi in Flensburg and now Woolworth's are opening there too!

Mealybug Wed 11-Sep-19 14:57:51

I'm another one loves to buy wool and the lady on facebook who sells it doesn't help by tempting me with new colours and mixes. I've got more than I need still in its wrappers lol. Better get my needles out again.

2mason16 Wed 11-Sep-19 14:28:57

Fabric shops! Our local sells by weight. I've just finished making lined patio size curtains in a lovely Laura Ashley type print - such a bargain - £25 altogether!!

Camelotclub Wed 11-Sep-19 13:40:56

Aldi.

yellowcanary Wed 11-Sep-19 13:35:06

Charity shops for me too - often get things still with their original labels on. Went into the Welsh Ambulance shop last week - got a dress for £1 with the label on, when I checked online - roughly £70 smile smile

H1954 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:04:51

Haberdashery and fabric shops...........every time!!!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:36:09

B&M. Homesense dunelm for interiors n Primark yes primark TK mAXx for clothes