Gransnet forums

Chat

Gossip

(254 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:26:13

Today in Guildford, I was reminded if a thread a while back re persons who are fat/overweight.
I was beyond shocked to see 4 simply huge men and similar women, at different times, none of whom were together and all of whom were truly enormous.
I would find it unbelievable if all 5 were to fall back on the 'I'm diabetic' excuse.
The idea that people can let themselves get into that state and keep eating (as 2 of them were) is very sad indeed and then they moan that they can't fit into bus or airline seats and can't work because of A, B, C or D.
Are there no answers to obesity because there were also some seriously overweight men whose man boobs and bellies hung pendulously over their trousers.

On another note.
I had an appointment at Virgin Money in Guildford.
On arrival I was immediately greeted by a beautifully turned out advisor who offered me tea, coffee, biscuits...?? and showed me to the several sumptuous velvet armchairs and settees piled high with velvet cushions.
The 60" tv was showing the BBC afternoon news and weather and my drink was placed on a coaster on a glass table.
A man with a hi-viz vest was lounging on a swivel chair opposite, dunking biscuits in his tea and reading a newspaper.
At one end of the room was a fully kitted out kitchen with a white modern dining table and chairs and a 'rest room' with M&F loos situated on an adjacent corridor.
The ceiling lights were enormous with plush red, gold and black drum shades inset with circular mirrors which reflected the floor areas.

I completed my business seated on a red velvet banquette with a top spec Mac pc suspended from the ceiling which could be pulled down and angled to suit the advisor.
When I left, she invited me to drop in any time I'm in town to take refreshment and read, watch tv chill out.
This begs the question where does the money to support this, come from?
I don't even bank with them, mind you, the furniture was utterly luxurious. ?

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 18:47:56

Food for thought.

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 18:46:47

I loved what James Cordon said and found it very funny. I also read the replies to it as well and it gave good for thought. I am glad Seacliffyou were able to see the humour in it. I wish you well and hope you feel better.flowers

seacliff Sun 15-Sep-19 18:16:43

Thanks Jane, it was very good to see the link, thankyou for posting it. I had no idea he had done that. Yes it made me cry to hear someone so in the public eye, expressing some of what I feel, in such a public, but humorous way. Our GP surgery is ay crisis point, so many doctors have left or are off long term sick. Thanks again.

janeainsworth Sun 15-Sep-19 17:44:35

Seacliff I hope you mean that James Corden made you cry because you felt he had sympathy with you and others who eat for emotional reasons. I had no wish to upset you or anyone else by posting the link. It seemed to me that he was expressing great empathy for those who struggle with their weight.
Robert Lustig and others have written about how eating, particularly sugary and processed foods, can become addictive.
You sound very unhappy & I wonder if your GP could refer you to someone who could help?
flowers

Day6 Sun 15-Sep-19 16:19:25

Seacliff - your post has just brought tears to my eyes.

I am so sorry you are stuck in this loop of self-hatred, food-addiction and depression.

e were in Cambridge, not long ago, and I was quite horrified to see so many young people in doorways, on drugs - crushed by their addictions. One young girl, sitting sluped with her poor dog sitting patiently beside her, was covered in scars and scabs on her arms. She was painfully thin. She was shooting up, with a needle full of something, and totally oblivious to any one around her. What a life. Look what she'd been reduced to.

At first I was horrified, then realised she was someone's daughter. She was so young to have given up on herself, to be addicted to substances which harmed her.

(Like you, Seacliff?). She didn't want to be slumped in a doorway. She desperately needed help - she may have rejected help - who knows? All I know was, she was an addict - and there are many substances, including food we can become addicted to.

We should not be too quick to judge. It's the circle of depression that follows an act of self-harm which keeps addicts down. They stop loving themselves, and the substance is taken again, hoping the momentary high will block out the pain.

Food is an addictive substance to over-users, and there should be some compassion for those who are hooked on it. Would you tell a person with mental illness to sort themselves out, or pull themselves together? How do you encourage a person with no self-esteem? How do you make a person who hates themselves love themselves again?

Getting back on the right road is often very difficult and needs lots of intervention and understanding - not contempt.

Day6 Sun 15-Sep-19 16:05:31

I am late to this thread and appreciate the conversation may have moved on, but can I just say thank you to BradfordLass for this very pertinent sentence, on the first page.

I blame those who have made this an unbearable world for those who, for many reasons have become and remain fat

Not all who gain weight are gluttons who sit around eating junk food. I have some weight to lose but given four prescription meds I take every single day can cause weight gain, I tend to be fighting a losing battle. I am aware of the importance of exercise and good nutrition - always have been and before illness use to be slim and extremely active.

Our fairly recent (media) obsession with the body beautiful has a lot to answer for.

seacliff Sun 15-Sep-19 16:00:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 15-Sep-19 15:51:44

You keep coming back GG54 after saying you are leaving. You just can't seem to stop the sniping.

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 15:15:47

Yes I have watched it, did you see the replies about it? I am overweight, weight carried on bum and hips and I can take a joke and make a joke about it, only because I don't give a flying fig about what people think. If you are so caught up in my weight that's your problem,go and get a life. I feel good about myself and the way I dress, or as one GP pointed out, she did not think I was overweight as I was stylish and knew what to wear.

However that is me, other people cannot take the teasing, bullying and name calling. It has a effect on them, and people drawing attention to obese people in public does not help.
Also no matter what is said obese people get abuse and harassment far more than their skinny counterparts.

I even know one woman and I witnessed this at a football match, where a opposition supporter shouted out 'You fat cow you should only be allowed out after dark, sorry to say some people laughed. She did not though. If it was me I would have extended the middle finger and had a very apt reply, but she was upset.

janeainsworth Sun 15-Sep-19 14:39:07

Some if you might like this twitter.com/latelateshow/status/1172571955314094080?s=21

James Corden’s response to fat-shaming.

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 13:35:30

Jane you are right but obese people are subject to more jokes, more verbal abuse and more shaming than others.

Gonegirl Sun 15-Sep-19 11:31:21

Oh FFS!!!!

This is incredible. She's gone. (Gabriella. from this thread)

Jaxie Sun 15-Sep-19 11:25:25

Gabriella, Try not to let your ego dominate your responses to people who hold conflicting opinions to your own. Do you think overweight people enjoy their condition? Some of us are blessed with attractive exteriors; some cannot help their appearance, for many reasons. But they need acceptance and love, as we all do.

Jane10 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:17:33

Shame is subjective. Very thin people can be very embarrassed and uncomfortable about their size. They can be absolutely sick of being told to eat more pies.
I know several very thin people who are just as touchy as fat people about their body shape.

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 10:35:17

Yes but it is not as wide spread, they just stated she looked to thin. There is not the shaming attached to thin people as there is to people who are obese.
This is in reply to janeainsworth

janeainsworth Sun 15-Sep-19 10:26:36

Rafichagran Body-shaming isn’t confined to overweight or obese people.
There have been numerous threads on Gransnet criticising the Duchess if Cambridge for being too thin, and that’s just one example.
I’m 5’8” tall & a size 12 and I get frequent comments, not said in a complimentary way, about my weight.
Just saying.

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 09:16:32

Publishing obesity for health reasons is ok, being unkind is quite another. Also there are many health issues associated with being painfully thin/ skeletal and anorexic. Do we single these people out, look at them and say look how many skinny people there are? Do we shame then , No and quite right too.
Fat shaming, and needing to mention how many obese people there are on the streets is unnecessary.

maddyone Sun 15-Sep-19 09:01:45

Jane10, absolutely agree. I made exactly the same point up thread. My daughter is a GP and echoes your father’s point of view. Doctors are very worried about the number of people who are extremely overweight, she has regularly said to me that if this trend continues, there will be little money available in the health service to treat other conditions, because the huge number of people who already have Diabetes Type 2, and will need treatment for all the additional conditions caused by this disease, eg heart and blood vessel damage, nerve damage, kidney damage, eye sight damage, slow healing, and a whole lot of other conditions. Diabetes Type 2 is not just about receiving medicine and that’s it, it brings with a whole list of other conditions, all to be treated by the health service. And Diabetes Type 2 is a self inflicted disease, unlike Diabetes Type 1. That is the opinion of doctors.

Boosgran Sun 15-Sep-19 08:59:55

Completely agree jane10.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Sep-19 08:58:48

Mentioning obesity isn't the problem. It's a major public health issue, after all. Being disrespectful of people isn't kind, though, along with victim blaming. Being smug and self-congratulatory about being lean is uncalled for. Some of us are just thin by nature. Since when is it OK to criticise fat people eating in public? Are they supposed to stop eating entirely?

Jane10 Sun 15-Sep-19 08:18:16

I see. So we're not allowed to mention obesity? Just in case it hurts someone's feelings? Wonder if Public Health know this? Better tell all these doctors not to bother about it.
My Dad (a GP) used to talk about these people 'digging their own graves with a knife and fork.' Of course nowadays no cutlery is required.

Namsnanny Sun 15-Sep-19 02:13:35

GG that's at least the 2nd time you've said your off, after grandstanding of course!

Callistemon Sat 14-Sep-19 23:36:22

I just looked up Nikki Hanson and am none the wiser
grin

Boosgran Sat 14-Sep-19 22:35:59

???

Boosgran Sat 14-Sep-19 22:35:11

Boosgran not boosnan btw get it right MawB