Gransnet forums

Chat

foul tasting water?

(7 Posts)
infoman Sat 14-Sep-19 07:38:15

I have noticed that when I have stayed in any hotel that if they have a plastic kettle in the bedrooms the tea and coffee tastes disgusting.
So if your replacing your kettle at home try a stainless steel one instead.The taste is more to do with plastic having a lower melting point.

MawB Sat 14-Sep-19 07:47:21

confused

I find it hard to believe any kettle would be made of a material which cannot withstand boiling water.
Now chocolate teapots ....that’s another thing! ??

Anja Sat 14-Sep-19 07:51:28

Tea and coffee taste disgusting in hotels because of the UHT milk they provide. But this is my opinion only as an infowoman

LullyDully Sat 14-Sep-19 07:56:08

Also water tastes different in different areas. Not keen on London water. The water in Birmingham is from Wales and tastes good.

This affects the taste of the tea in my mind.

infoman Sun 15-Sep-19 05:48:06

Don't use the UHT milk from the Hotel if I can help it.
.I always take a pint of fresh glass bottled milk from home for the first couple of days and kept in a small flask.

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Sep-19 06:41:06

Very occasionally I can taste whatever chemical it is they add to water to keep it clean (chlorine?) but I just fill a big jug, cover it with a tea-towel and the taste seems to dissipate. The water tastes lovely and sweet after a while.

I always take a sipper bottle of water to bed and drink that before I sleep, when I wake (in the night and at 6am) and I let that stand with its top off too. Otherwise I get the slightly bleachy taste.

All this is leading up to the speculation that maybe hotels have to add something extra to their water storage tanks?
Is this why it makes beverages taste grim?

BlueBelle Sun 15-Sep-19 06:45:50

Never stayed in a hotel, now there’s a revelation
I hate the taste of chlorine but never notice it in tea or coffee