Gransnet forums

Chat

Winter duvet.

(52 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:44:25

Had the best nights sleep for ages under my winter duvet. Took the summer one to be washed and changed spare bed ready for my visitors.
Asked a friend how often we should wash duvets and she was surprised to hear they are washable!

narrowboatnan Tue 17-Sep-19 17:52:53

Me again! On the subject of wool duvets, Baavet (a quirky turn on Duvet) have a bargain basement. www.baavet.co.uk/baavet-wool-bargains/ksmeddbs

narrowboatnan Tue 17-Sep-19 17:47:12

Paperbackwriter we are just about to treat ourselves to a wool duvet and have been looking online to see what's out there. We could just go to Dunelm and buy one, but want to do our bit to support the British Wool Industry so will probably look at getting one from Devon Duvets (www.devonduvets.com) or The Wool Room (www.thewoolroom.com) They are not cheap, but we are hoping that 'you get what you pay for'

Shropshirelass Tue 17-Sep-19 08:18:40

I used to put mine in the bath and tread on them before struggling to get them downstairs to throw over the maypole line. I now take them to the dry cleaners, too big and heavy to wash.

Paperbackwriter Sun 15-Sep-19 22:22:56

HellsBelles - where did you get your wool duvet? I've never heard of one of those but it sounds an interesting option. I've got goose down in mine but am interested in other ideas!

Solonge Sun 15-Sep-19 21:10:25

We treated ourselves to a silk filled Duvet....15 tog...light as a feather but warm as toast......

dragonfly46 Sun 15-Sep-19 19:57:54

We have a super king size bed with 2 single 4 tog duvets all the year round. We also have the window open every night. Like Sarah I adjust my nightmare. When it is hot we have a sheet and a cotton waffle blanket.

Witzend Sun 15-Sep-19 19:51:31

BTW, anyone with an old duvet to get rid of, your local animal rescue might well like it.
We took a few old ones to the nearest Dogs' Trust some years ago - having checked first that they'd want them - they did.

Witzend Sun 15-Sep-19 19:48:36

We have an all seasons down one, so a light and a medium that button together. Only use both in really cold weather, lovely and warm and light.
They each go to the local laundry/dry cleaners once a year to be washed. Much too big to go in the machine at home.
I bought it at least 10 years ago in n a John Lewis sale - still fine.

NotANana Sun 15-Sep-19 19:36:52

I have just changed my 1.5 tog one for a 10.5 tog one - the heavier one is a new polyester one and I was worried it would feel a bit "sticky" and hot, but so far, so good! It is supposed to be breathable though.
(And the OH suggested making the change, so bonus points for me because it is usually the other way `around and I start muttering about changing it before he feels the need to!)

FC61 Sun 15-Sep-19 18:42:22

My DH and I have had separate duvets continental style for years. I sleep on my right and he said I used to roll backwards and forwards at night taking extra duvet from him each time ! So he has a double and I have a single. So we meet under his and then I get back to mine for serious sleeping. In the winter we put fleeces on first under the duvet to stop cold air pockets on the back or neck so we don’t get aches . Fleeces get washed every few days. I love hearing how everybody lives! I had no idea you could sanitise feathers Gabriella ? In the UK ? Wow.

debgaga Sun 15-Sep-19 18:16:47

When I was younger and poorer, I used to wash my duvet in the bath. Choosing a lovely sunny day in which to drip dry it . Didn’t have any problems and still use this method now ! It’s heavy when wet, so you may need help if you have to carry downstairs, but I seem to manage. Necessity is the mother of invention.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 15-Sep-19 16:03:03

I don't change duvets just change my night wear. Keeping four tog all year and wearing thin cotton PJ's but changing to thick winceyette when nights get cold .I can always put a blanket, cellular preferred, on top if exceptionally cold .

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:22:55

I sold my California queen sized feather and down duvet as it was far too hot and bought the duo from M&S.
This summer I've only used a sheet and often not needed that.

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:19:52

Buy an old eiderdown on ebay. Remove the feathers into pillowcases and have them cleaned and sanitised. Stitch channels into a cambric cover then fill with the down. grin

Mollygo Sun 15-Sep-19 13:34:12

Wow you must all love somewhere warm. We have a (washable) quilted throw which we use when it’s hot, otherwise we keep our duck-feather and down one on all year. The throw was out for 6 nights, on the last one I put my furry dressing gown over the top!

Jan66 Sun 15-Sep-19 12:16:32

I've not changed ours over from the Summer 'cool comfort' one yet. Fortunate to have a machine that can wash the duvets so it will get washed before it gets put away. The Winter one (climate control type) is all clean and ready for when its needed (yeah I sound so organised but I'm not - lol). It is a good idea that there is a facility for washing & drying them near some Tesco stores, and a shame that some are being thrown away to landfill.

Camelotclub Sun 15-Sep-19 11:41:11

The best duvets are the original eider down ones. You don't want to know the prices! one for me if I win the lottery.

Camelotclub Sun 15-Sep-19 11:40:04

Jaxie
Mine says not to do either! Gently sponge any stains away. Must admit I'd quite like to clean it but am scared it would be ruined.

Camelotclub Sun 15-Sep-19 11:39:12

Never dry clean duvets. The toxins from the chemicals hang around in the filling and can hurt your breathing. (No reputable dry cleaners would dry clean one anyway.)

Jaxie Sun 15-Sep-19 11:31:27

Can a silk filled duvet be washed or dry cleaned?

TillyWhiz Sun 15-Sep-19 11:30:06

I have the M&S duo duvet, so 4.5 for summer, then 9 now for autumn, making 13.5 for the chill to come. They will fit separately in my John Lewis larger drum washing machine. Add cotton and flannelette sheets and pillowcases, various fleeces, ditto bedsocks, hotwater bottle and I'm ready for whatever weather is thrown at us!

geekesse Sun 15-Sep-19 11:14:42

I did some contract work a few years ago and used the unexpected bonus to buy a 9 tog Hungarian pure goose down duvet. It is very light - putting the duvet cover on doubles the weight - and it is lovely and warm in winter and cool in summer. The best £300 I ever spent!

Esspee Sun 15-Sep-19 11:12:01

My 4.5 tog Super King fits into my washing machine with a bit of a push. It does us summer and winter even though we live in the West of Scotland.
It gets washed a few times a year when it is warm and sunny and dried on the wash line.
The Super King duvet was created by me from two single duvets as I was unable to find a 4.5 Super King at a reasonable price. My hand stitching may not be perfect but nobody ever sees it.

grannydubh Sun 15-Sep-19 11:02:58

13.5 duvet all year round. Well it is the North of Scotland.

inishowen Sun 15-Sep-19 10:57:05

Mine is a super king so wont fit in the washing machine. £14 to get it cleaned.