Gransnet forums

Chat

Nazi memorabilia

(71 Posts)
ClareAB Sat 14-Sep-19 16:13:29

My husband inherited a Nazi knife many years ago from his step-father who kept it as a souvenir after he fought in WW2.

I have always hated having it in the house. To me it's an evil object. DH has agreed to sell it and put it in auction. Unfathomably it seems it's worth around £500.

We are having a heated debate. I believe very strongly that the money should go to a good cause. I don't want the money. To me it's blood money and should be used to do good.

My husband disagrees and feels strongly that the money should be his to do with as he wishes. Technically he's right, but morally and ethically I think he's totally wrong. We're comfortably off, so money isn't an issue.

I'd appreciate peoples views TIA

Bugbabe2019 Sun 15-Sep-19 09:48:13

It’s just a knife! The k ice isn’t evil!
Let your husband use the money for what he wants
Sorry you are being a bit silly

suziewoozie Sun 15-Sep-19 10:04:56

That’s a good point lemon - imo for it to be a Nazi knife it would need to be embossed with a swastika. If it is, I’d find it hard to make money from it and would have to donate it to a relevant good cause like Help for Heroes.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Sep-19 10:31:26

I'm another who expects it would only be bought by a neo-Nazi.

I would rather gift it to a museum. If you are comfortable and don't need the money, maybe your husband could put together a few lines about the origins etc. to gift with it. I hope they would take it with a story.

Discuss the prospective purchaser with your husband and see if that changes his mind.

4allweknow Sun 15-Sep-19 10:33:50

Your husband's DF may not have fully appreciated the stigma and horror of the Nazi era. It did take some time for the full effect of the holocaust to be understood. Just couldn't bring myself to profit from that by selling the knife. I'm with you. Think the knife would suddenly disappear in the nearest recycling facility if it was up to me.

CleoPanda Sun 15-Sep-19 10:41:38

My thoughts- It belongs to your husband and he should decide what he wants to do with it. You could show him this thread but if he still wants to sell it, it’s his personal choice.
There are people all round the work who collect weapons of all sorts and most are collectors rather than people who wish to use them.
Do you have any local museums who may accept as a donation? Your husband may feel good donating an historical implement? Does he have a favourite cause, local organisation or charity? Once sold, he could make a donation that would mean something good coming from something bad. The recipients don’t need to know about the sale.

Doings Sun 15-Sep-19 10:41:40

What MawB said. The Imperial War Museum and forget about the thing.

And I don't think you are being silly in having a fret over this. In your position I'd be thinking - that's the Nazi golf clubs, (if that's what he'd spend the money on). It would just be in my head ...

Nannarose Sun 15-Sep-19 10:47:54

I have been very interested in this discussion, and I do hope that it has helped ClareAB.
I take the points made that it was probably a German Army knife, used for mundane purposes ; and that some people are simply collectors. I still wonder if its sale is illegal.

I do see that it is not Clare's own call, but in a loving marriage, the opinion of one's spouse is very important. I also imagine that being left such a curiosity by a step-father may have indicated a loving & trusting relationship between them. Calling it an 'evil object' may feel disrespectful. So it seems to me that finding a way both to acknowledge both of these views is important. The current legal situation may be one way of doing this, with the help of an understanding Police Officer (and they are, in my experience)

So, my personal view remains that it would be best handed in at a police station. The police are very sensitive to this situation - I personally would talk to the local PCSO about where & when best to hand it in.

I hope, ClareAB, if you feel able, that you could let us know if these thoughtful replies have helped you at all. Whatever happens, you have done your best.

Candelle Sun 15-Sep-19 11:01:22

There are millions of artefacts bobbing around from WW11 but collectable items would have a swastika on them.

If your husband's knife is one of these, the only likely purchasers would be neo-nazis. Following through, your husband would indeed by fuelling hate (these people don't love all man-kind unilaterally) by selling.

Perhaps a museum would be interested (but there are probably many of these knives already in museums, who knows. It is worth checking).

In my eyes there would be blood on the knife, if not physically, morally.

An afterthought... would it be worth contacting the British Legion and asking their stance on this?

polnan Sun 15-Sep-19 11:01:33

it`s a knife, Nazi or otherwise, should be given to a museum, out of harms way of all of these knife crimes

sarahellenwhitney Sun 15-Sep-19 11:04:34

Lemongrove.
Mundane as in ???????

Hazeld Sun 15-Sep-19 11:05:06

It's his knife. Let him do with it what he wants.

Parsley3 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:24:08

One less knife, Nazi or not, would be a good thing imo. Drop it off a bridge into some deep water.

EthelJ Sun 15-Sep-19 11:30:24

I would have given it to a military museum. Who has he sold it to? I think there are laws about possession and sales of knives. Is he sure it won't be used unlawfully?

ClareAB Sun 15-Sep-19 11:35:52

Thank you very much for all your replies. I have showed them to my husband and we both like the idea of donating the money to a veteran cause.

The truth is I dislike any instrument that is used in war. I cannot understand why people revere guns, knives, spitfires, tanks, warships etc. I look at them and think of all the people they've killed and just feel sad that they are glorified.

There are so many other things we can rejoice in. War is not one of those things

grandtanteJE65 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:37:00

I wouldn't want it in the house either, but obviously your husband sees things differently and nothing you have said over the years has had an effect, has it?

Now, at least, he is willing to sell it. I agree with others who say that is not the best option, but I think you are fighting a loosing battle here. Let your husband sell it and do what he wants with the money.

If you can afford to , donate a similar amount to a charity of your choice, either in one go, or in smaller instalments.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Sep-19 11:54:23

Thanks for coming back to us ClareAB. Although I think if it were me I'd rather not see any money from it (for the neo-Nazi connections) I'm glad you have found a solution that respects both your feelings about it, and his.
So glad you have resolved the dilemma.

paddyann Sun 15-Sep-19 12:10:33

oopsminty ,my late uncle was a prisoner of war in Germany .He too loved the country and the people.We didn't think there was any problem with that or him.He lost a leg parachuting into Germany and the guards wete brilliant with him .He always said they treated him very well.Fitted him with an artificial limb and spent hours ..and longer teaching him how to use it and live with it.
The war was a very long time ago ,we cant from this distance believe that ALL germans were sympathetic to the Nazi cause ,your dad probably did understand the horror but could see past that and appreciate the people .

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Sep-19 12:26:21

I have a Russian Army belt buckle. It's brass with the logo impressed and also have a KGB enamelled metal badge.
I had the buckle put on a tan leather belt and have had plenty of posisitive remarks on it.
I collect buckles and regularly swap them around.
Knives ?are a different kettle of fish but there are, no doubt, people who'd, rightly or wrongly, have something negative to say about any artefact from most wars.

ReadyMeals Sun 15-Sep-19 12:39:19

Mind you, it has to be remembered that the knife bore no malice to anyone, neither did the OP's husband nor his father, and probably not even the German soldier who was originally its owner. I personally can't see why they shouldn't enjoy the money. They've done nothing wrong.

Fennel Sun 15-Sep-19 12:55:56

Clare -
Many servicemen brought things back from Germany etc as trophies of the war, and our victory.
My Dad brought a very valuable (at the time) pair of binoculars, and some top quality bath towels. Even though he had been in the RN he returned home via Germany and Allies were able to pass through prosperous areas and take what they fancied. The spoils of war?
A knife is a bit different, I wouldn't want to keep it. I would want to destroy it, but I can see your husband's point.

Lazigirl Sun 15-Sep-19 13:20:59

I wonder how Jewish folk, of whom I am not one, whose relatives were murdered by the nazi's feel about this type of memorabilia being sold? I think auctions for such things are banned in some European countries, but perhaps banning would just increase their value? It could be argued they are of historical interest but whilst people are still alive who were affected by the atrocities it doesn't feel right to me.

GillT57 Sun 15-Sep-19 13:46:43

I agree with lemon, unless there is a specific nazi engraving on the knife, it is likely to be a standard issue knife, the same as I assume British forces were issued with. Not all knives are used for terrible purposes as lemon said, many a tin of bully beef was opened with an army knife. It is also worth remembering that not all Germans were supporters of the Nazi cause, and many suffered terribly, and their young men were likely terrified too. Don't jump on me, it is just my opinion! As to what happens to it, maybe ask the British Legion?

Lazigirl Sun 15-Sep-19 14:12:10

The OP stated "Nazi knife".

Riverwalk Sun 15-Sep-19 14:15:23

An interesting moral conundrum.

Like it or not nazi memorabilia is very popular and up there with the Titanic, and in the US, the Civil War; who among us wouldn't read genuine Hitler Diaries?

I think such items are just money-makers and do the rounds, rather than only appealing to neo-nazis.

In a previous house we found a WW2 German field radio type of object in the attic - having established it wasn't an Enigma machine(!) my now ex later sold it on Ebay. It was bought by a collector of WW2 and nazi items for whom it was nothing but a potential source of profit.

Peonyrose Sun 15-Sep-19 14:17:40

I would not want to benefit from the proceeds. But soldiers follow orders whatever side they are on.