Gransnet forums

Chat

Scarves, what is it about them..?

(142 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 17:37:52

In the light of the many serious threads on GN at the moment, I thought I would post something light hearted and vacuus.

I decided to tidy out the hall cupboard today. In it was a huge curver box, overflowing with scarves of every colour, pattern, weight etc. I'm too embarrassed to say how many. blush
I even bought four in Rome last week, the fact that they were only 2 Euros each, may have influenced me. grin
They were a bargain, of surprisingly good quality, but I didn't really need them. Basically they seduced me with their vibrant colours! smile

Does anyone else share this obsession? I know Nan Kate does, as she has previously mentioned it!

Patsy70 Sat 18-Nov-23 16:30:03

I have a variety of scarves, in different colours, patterns and weights, for all seasons. I do occasionally take one or two to the charity shop, but generally keep them in the wardrobe on their ‘holy hangers’. Many of them have been bought as gifts from my daughter, sisters and friends, and even my OH, who has always chosen wisely. As well as being an additional accessory, I need something warm around my neck, particularly at this time of year.

Lona Sat 18-Nov-23 15:40:22

RosiesMaw, I'm still here, I read Mick's thread and soop's every day and as many of the others that I can squeeze in during the day.
I'm also on Mumsnet, and facebook etc, but if I started posting I'd never get anything done!
Lovely to see so many familiar names on here and I love my scarves but they must be silk! So warm and cosy but not bulky.

RosiesMaw Sat 18-Nov-23 12:11:54

What a joy to see some familiar names of much missed Grans 😢
I know some are still with us albeit under different user names but lona, nanaandgrampy, gillybob - haste ye back, you are missed!
Interesting to see that my contribution all those years ago is still exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title, not realising it’s history. I said then and still think that a scarf is like a lippy- a quick and (relatively) inexpensive “boost”
And you don’t need to move up a size unlike other clothing!
I am at least consistent!

Marydoll Sat 18-Nov-23 11:36:56

Making cheeky remarks, is how my mum used it, Baggs. It can mean belittling, but that's not how I use it.
It was used frequently in our staffroom in a humorous way.

Baggs Sat 18-Nov-23 11:09:19

Marydoll

? Jura, as my old mother would have said, Don't be so pass remarkable! grin

I will have you know, I'm svelte, chic, sophisticated and I have wardrobes of clothes, all of which fit! wink

Love this phrase your mum used to say, Mdoll, but please could you explain it to a "naturalised" Scot as I'm not sure I have it right 😁

silverlining48 Sat 18-Nov-23 10:37:24

I lost a scarf last week when having a short break away, and despite having quite a few others, am ridiculously sorry it’s gone. I emailed and phoned around but it’s nowhere.

A scarf adds to an outfit in my opinion and this particular one was my favourite. Boo hoo. 😢

FindingNemo15 Sat 18-Nov-23 10:31:56

I love scarfs too and have a drawer full. Does anyone else find they are often not the right colour/shade. OK and spoilt for choice when wearing a plain outfit, but not so when trying to team up with something patterned.

biglouis Sat 18-Nov-23 09:53:46

All the vintage scarves I buy to resell are square. Try charity/vintage shops, Ebay and similar sites for square ones.

maytime2 Sat 18-Nov-23 09:14:16

Nearly all scarves are now rectangular in shape and it is very difficult to buy a square one. I went through my collection of scarves back in the Summer to see how many squares I had. I needed square ones to cover my head after chemotherapy treatment. I did have a few but not nearly as many as the rectangular ones.
Another bug bear is the difficulty in getting plain, one coloured, scarves. The majority seem to be patterned.
I used to buy many of my scarves from Assessorize/Monsoon, but unfortunately there are no longer any shops at all in S.Wales. I know I could buy online, but it's not the same.

biglouis Fri 17-Nov-23 23:59:56

I deal in vintage accessories (as some of you may know) and although I have very few scarves myself I often buy up auction lots of good quality ones such as Hermes, Dior, and so on. My American customers love them and they sell very well especially at this time of year. The ones from the mid 20th century are most popular with their modernistic designs. I suspect many are bought as gifts.

Serendipity22 Thu 16-Nov-23 20:24:46

Hand up to owning a few scarves hahahaha.

They occupy a part of my wardrobe in their own compartment. I think they compliment an outfit and yes, I have purchased a few in foreign parts.

😃

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-Nov-23 15:53:57

I too love a scarf. I have them in all colours/patterns and can always find one to match what I’m wearing . The larger ones I wear draped around me instead of a jumper/cardi if I’m only slightly chilly as I hate being hot!

I’ve no idea how many they live in two open baskets in the bottom of my wardrobe folders up on top of each other then I rifle through for what I want but have about a dozen which are favourite which I wear all the time. Just going to have a black sequinned one dry cleaned ready for Christmas wearing. My latest was bought in a market in Turkey in July.

Still get them bought for Christmas and birthday presents DD2 bought me a gorgeous Ted Baker one last Christmas but one of my oldest favourite ones was £3 in Tesco sale.

Marydoll Thu 16-Nov-23 15:45:33

sarahkhan

Marydoll

In the light of the many serious threads on GN at the moment, I thought I would post something light hearted and vacuus.

I decided to tidy out the hall cupboard today. In it was a huge curver box, overflowing with scarves of every colour, pattern, weight etc. I'm too embarrassed to say how many. blush
I even bought four in Rome last week, the fact that they were only 2 Euros each, may have influenced me. grin
They were a bargain, of surprisingly good quality, but I didn't really need them. Basically they seduced me with their vibrant colours! smile

Does anyone else share this obsession? I know Nan Kate does, as she has previously mentioned it!

Oh, the appeal of ladies scarves – I totally get it! 😄 Your Rome finds sound like a steal, and who could resist vibrant colors, right? I've got a collection that's bordering on scarf-mania too. It's like each one tells a little story. Anyone else have a weakness for those irresistible, colorful wraps? Let's share our scarf tales! 🧣💖😊

I started this thread in 2019 and wondered why it had been reserected.
This quoted post is spam and I've reported it.

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 16-Nov-23 15:11:45

Love how a scarf you up, I like to go brighter as the weather turns colder! Even wear a floaty, floral with wellies, stops me looking like Farmer Gilesgrin

Oldbat1 Thu 16-Nov-23 14:44:28

Used to wear a scarf most days when i was working. I inherited mil scarf collection which dd chose their favourites. I took loads to Oxfam and kept my favourites.

FlexibleFriend Thu 16-Nov-23 14:15:45

No, I don't possess any scarves, I do have a warm circular thing that pulls on over my head for walking the dogs. No clue what it's called.

Witzend Thu 16-Nov-23 14:06:39

In the right colour, they just perk up whatever you’re wearing. Besides keeping your neck warm! Unless there’s a heatwave, or I’m wearing a polo neck, I always need something around mine.
Mine are all on hangers (at least 6 at a time) but I probably don’t have more than a couple of dozen, if that.

I had a lovely multicolour ‘ring’ scarf from Seasalt, but washed it, and it was destroyed completely. Still upset about that - they’ve never had another similar.

sarahkhan Thu 16-Nov-23 12:55:26

Marydoll

Oh, the appeal of ladies scarves – I totally get it! 😄 Your Rome finds sound like a steal, and who could resist vibrant colors, right? I've got a collection that's bordering on scarf-mania too. It's like each one tells a little story. Anyone else have a weakness for those irresistible, colorful wraps? Let's share our scarf tales! 🧣💖😊

Jaxie Fri 20-Sep-19 15:38:07

I love scarves but they make me too hot.

seacliff Thu 19-Sep-19 15:51:51

Thanks Marydoll.

Marydoll Thu 19-Sep-19 15:02:19

seacliff, I've checked it out and it gets differing reviews.
Some people give it five stars and others have a bad experience.
If in doubt, trust your instinct.

seacliff Thu 19-Sep-19 10:04:18

LightAmber- is that site safe to use?

I assume items come from China? Do you have to pay customs on them? Are there any specific sellers you recommend? Thanks.

Marydoll Thu 19-Sep-19 07:53:45

LightAmber, oh dear, you really shouldn't have posted that
link. grin.
I see what you mean about the low prices. However, I noticed they are in dollars, do they deliver to the UK and does that bump the price up?

LightAmber Thu 19-Sep-19 07:35:40

I get a lot of my scarves from Aliexpress.com - they're usually the same as the ones on eBay etc and cost far far less. Just need to wait 7/10 days or so for delivery by which time I've forgotten what I ordered and it’s like Christmas grin - I haven't paid more than £1 for any of my scarves and some were 25p! smile

GreenGran78 Wed 18-Sep-19 22:50:52

I have a drawer full of scarves, all given to me as gifts, and I rarely wear any of them. No matter how many 'how-to' videos I watch, I always feel uneasy and awkward in them, like a little girl wearing her Mum's clothes, or an overdressed Christmas tree.
I don't know why I'm this way, and would love to be able to wear scarves with panache, but they just never look right on me.
I really don't much like any close-fitting things around my neck, either. Polo necks are a definite No, and most of the necklaces I possess don't get worn. Even lightweight ones usually get taken off, after a while, because they irritate me.