Gransnet forums

Chat

What a difference a term makes

(12 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Wed 18-Sep-19 11:03:57

My grand-daughter, now 25, has to carry ID with her at all times because she looks about 14.

TwiceAsNice Tue 17-Sep-19 17:25:07

Yggdrasil how lovely and coincidental my 10 year old granddaughter has just cut and donated her hair to the same charity and now has the short bob she had when much younger which we all think suits her much better

gillybob Tue 17-Sep-19 15:51:13

My eldest DGD (13) is about the size if the average 9 year old . It seems her growing confidence is making up for what she lacks in height .

Lovely story yggdrasil thank you for sharing that . My DGD’s both have very long hair but they’re hanging on to it for the time being .

ninathenana Tue 17-Sep-19 15:46:12

smile lovely stories.
My friend who is about 5' 2"" has a 13 y.o. GD taller than her. They have a wonderful relationship and she tells my friend things she wouldn't tell her mother.
I only have GSx2 the oldest will start Secondary school Sept. 2020. We're hoping he will come out of his shell by then.

BBbevan Tue 17-Sep-19 14:58:53

That is just beautiful yggdrasil You must be so proud of the young woman she has become. My DD had her hair cut recently. It was long and curly. Her reason was that she was fed up with people commenting on it and touching it. Don't blame her really.

yggdrasil Tue 17-Sep-19 14:01:36

My granddaughter, age 13, has never had her hair cut since she was 2 years old. It went all the way down her back, her mother put it in braids every morning for school. Two weeks ago, she decided to donate it to the Little Princess Trust who provide wigs to children with cancer to help them cope when they lose their hair.
She raised £665. More than that, she has been transformed from a child to a young woman with that new hairstyle.smile

BBbevan Tue 17-Sep-19 13:55:10

I well remember your postgillybob when trying to get your DG1 into a nearer secondary school. Glad all has worked out well and that she has really found her feet. My DG is exactly the same age and has discovered ' shopping' I went with her and was utterly exhausted by the end

EllanVannin Tue 17-Sep-19 13:49:25

Yes Gillybob, from the age of 11 is when the fun starts and they shoot up like trees. They think they're adults too and change their range of fashion.

On turning 12 I was quietly horrified that it was crop-tops last summer ( maybe it's because I wear a vest all year round ) and couldn't envisage any part of my body being bare against the elements, but at 12 ??

To me it's so scary. When your GGD at 13 is nearly the same height as yourself is so overwhelming. She stood by the side of me the other week and it was frightening, especially when she was wearing a pair of her mother's jeans.
One thing for sure, she won't want to be wearing any of my clothes hahahahaha. Size 6 shoes too !!

gillybob Tue 17-Sep-19 11:42:13

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Amagran . Her “little” sister being in the school has brought out a new found confidence that she didn’t have before .

I think your right about young girls seeming to grow up overnight Willow . Just in July she seemed to be her usual self and now in September she’s a young woman who’s so full of herself and life that she’s at risk of bursting ! grin

Amagran Tue 17-Sep-19 11:37:29

What a lovely story gillybob! It sounds as though having DGD2 at the same school now has unlocked DGD1's self-confidence.
I wish some of my DGD's noisy self-confident, out-going nature would rub off on her older brother!

Willow500 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:35:14

grin Don't they say the funniest things?!! Girls seem to develop into young women overnight too. My eldest GD has always been the little mother to her younger sister (now nearly 18 shock and we found it quite funny when the eldest was that age and told us she'd been giving her sister advice now she's growing up!

gillybob Tue 17-Sep-19 11:25:36

Just wanted to share a funny story with you about my eldest DGD . She’s 13 and has just gone into year 9 . She was the quietest little mouse you could ever meet , very small for her age too. Her little sister joined her in year 7 just a few weeks ago. She is now officially the BIG sister (even though she’s significantly the smaller of the two) .

Well this morning I was doing the school run as usual and DGD 2 asked if could just drop her at home a bit sooner so she could walk with her new friends. Well enter us into the estate .... DGD1 announces (sarcastically) “oh look the little people are all waiting ....how cute” DGD2 then gets out of car and elder swaps seats at which point a group of boys (all about 11) stand and stare at them (probably thinking what on earth are they doing.) At this point eldest DGD waves, blows some very over the top kisses and shouts “hey guys I bet seeing me has made your day has it?” shock so completely out of character ! Where has my shy, innocent baby girl gone ?

I had to ring my DDiL when I got to work to tell her. We both had a good laugh. What a difference one term has made . I wish I had an ounce of her new found confidence .