Gransnet forums

Chat

Daftest 'forgetful' moment

(65 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Sep-19 08:31:16

You know how leeks can get soil between the layers?

I chopped and washed mine, sauteed them in a little butter with a couple of twists of black pepper - this to make leek sauce.

The phone rang and I spent 5 mins talking to a friend.

When I came back to the leek pan I saw all this dirt amongst the leeks. sad
With a huge sigh I washed it all off and started again - only to remember - but too late - it wasn't soil, it was black pepper.

What's your daftest 'forgetful moment'?

annietelephant Sun 22-Sep-19 12:36:00

Mine was also a person out of context moment... walking round the Supermarket with my husband I saw a man whose face I knew really, really well, actually quite intimately. I knew he had a small mole just under his right ear.. the colour of his eyes etc, so I must have been quite close up BUT I just couldn’t think who he was. He smiled and we walked on. Much, much later ( and to my relief) I realised he was our dentist...and he usually wore a mask!! ?

Bathsheba Sat 21-Sep-19 14:02:34

anno ???

Millie22 Sat 21-Sep-19 09:56:32

Those difficult times when you meet someone you know but in a different place are so awkward. I was trying to chat away and desperately thinking .... who are you when the person said to me 'you've no idea who I am I can tell'. She was right.

Fetish tyre ....so funny.

annodomini Sat 21-Sep-19 09:30:48

Standing in front of a class of stroppy 14-year-olds, I told a trouble maker that I would 'have it off with him after class'. Cue howls of derision from the mob. Of course I meant to say 'have it out'. blush

Ninarosa Sat 21-Sep-19 09:20:33

My friend and I had a weekend in London recently. Called in Harvey Nicks for coffee and buns.
Was recounting this to husband and said " my friend had the best muffin of her life in London ".
Was given a very dark look, still not sure why as he wouldn't say.

harrigran Sat 21-Sep-19 08:29:29

I gave my Morrison's card to the man on the till in Sainsbury's, he said he could bar me for that, he would actually be doing me a favour as ours is the pits all automated.

Blinko Sat 21-Sep-19 06:53:34

And have presented my Boots card in Superdrug; Co op card in Asda.

Blinko Sat 21-Sep-19 06:52:38

Some years ago I took the car to work then walked home..... I had to return to work on the bus to collect the car. Doh!

tanith Fri 20-Sep-19 20:50:24

I presented my Matalan card in Primark the other day. I'm sure the many people in the queue were thinking poor old lady ?

LondonGranny Fri 20-Sep-19 20:21:17

harrigran
I did that on the bus with the local lollipop man...it made his day!

Nellbell5 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:38:12

My mad moments are happening more and more frequent. The other day I couldn't fathom out why the cutlery and salt n pepper pots had disappeared from the dining table. Turns out I'd taken them upstairs and put them on the bed. I've even put an empty milk carton behind the bathroom door! Must have had a 1960's throwback moment that time

willa45 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:07:28

Years ago, while still working, I often took a lunch break to run an errand or two. On this particular day, I went to my car and realized that I hadn't locked it. Grumbling over my absent mindedness, I got in, sat down and about to put the key in the ignition, when an unfamiliar pair of gloves on the console caught my eye followed by a sustained, low, menacing growl behind me. Looking through the rear view, I spotted the tiniest mite of a Chihuahua, baring all its teeth at me from the back seat. In that single, horrifying instant, I knew I was in the wrong car! I hopped out as quickly as I could and slammed the door shut with Chihuaha now barking at me hysterically against the glass.
Thankfully, I found my own (identical make, model and color) car three spaces down, in the same row of the company parking lot!

midgey Fri 20-Sep-19 18:57:32

We were living with my MiL, she lived on a busy commuter rat run. There was a knock on the door, a man holding out a baby...Is this yours? Oh no mines in the kitchen! He had crawled around the side entrance and across the road!?

harrigran Fri 20-Sep-19 18:54:13

I was about to walk past a man in the supermarket and he stopped me, " I am sorry I didn't recognise you with your clothes on " I said. He was a member of our badminton club and I usually only saw him in shorts and sports shirt. Turned a few old biddie's heads that evening.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 20-Sep-19 18:45:20

I've done the person-out-of-context one. Someone I know fairly well and whom I often see working at the gym was in a shop and we were chatting about this and that while we were waiting. "Where is it you work, Jane?" I asked, and wondered why she was giving me such a funny look... blush

Willow500 Fri 20-Sep-19 17:45:25

I left the hatch back open on my brand new Tigra years ago and drove it into the garage - that was a very big bang and a very big repair bill! I'd only had it a day!!

My dad parked his car to go to the post office again years ago - he came out to find it had gone! Panicked he went to a phone box and rang the police to say it had been stolen. While he was waiting for them to come out he suddenly remembered he'd parked it in another street so sneaked off and went home grin

Just yesterday my husband was trying to tell me the cat was on the bed but couldn't get out which side - it came out as she's on the passenger side grin

Ladyf Fri 20-Sep-19 16:19:40

Thoroughly enjoyed the posts here. Have been laughing out loud.

coast35 Fri 20-Sep-19 15:51:02

I once went to an important meeting with the big bosses. I happened to glance down to find that I had a black shoe and a navy shoe on!

Merryweather Fri 20-Sep-19 15:40:54

This week I have so far-

Dropped my girls to school wearing my slippers. Twice.
Put the car keys in the fridge.
Dropped all my tablets all over the floor and bed. There’s 23 of them!
Put my knickers on not only backwards but inside out!

There’s no hope. I’m expecting the arrival of a straight jacket anytime.

PageTurner Fri 20-Sep-19 15:39:32

I think this is an indication that we all have too much on our minds and do a lot of ordinary day to day tasks without even thinking about it.
I spend an inordinate amount of time each day looking for my outdoor shoes, keys and reading glasses?

MamaCaz Fri 20-Sep-19 15:20:01

Oh yes, and I'm another who left my first-born behind in a shop, Woolworths in Worcester, in my case.

MamaCaz Fri 20-Sep-19 15:17:39

I made my dad a cup of tea when he was staying the weekend with us.
You should have seen his face when he took a sip - I'd forgotten to turn the kettle on, so the tea was cold!

Notsooldat75 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:25:07

I went into a local shop and wondered why it was so dark, groped my way around the shelves, thinking maybe there was a power cut.
Got to the checkout and realised I had my sunglasses on.

Jane10 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:00:37

I thought I'd gone suddenly blind in the shower one day - what a relief to discover I was still wearing my glasses now coated with soapy suds!

Tris68 Fri 20-Sep-19 13:14:56

Fetish tyre ???