Gransnet forums

Chat

Foyles War

(17 Posts)
Nannyxthree Mon 23-Sep-19 21:22:06

Beckett - I keep old theatre programes for the same reason.

Beckett Mon 23-Sep-19 07:55:57

Watched a couple more episodes of Foyles War last night and spotted young David Tennant and Danny Dyer! May watch the rest of the series and play "spot them before they were famous!"

BradfordLass72 Mon 23-Sep-19 00:35:54

I can only partially see UK series on DVD and was told of a poular, apparently funny, series called: 'The moaning of life : the worldly wisdom of Karl Pilkington'.

I have neve in my life seen such a load of old rubbish. A moronic presenter, not even mildly comical but seemed more in need of prompt psychitric care.

If this is what UK TV has come to, gawn help us all.

There were two very good series: 'Judge John Deed' and later 'Silk' - both apparently canned at the hight of their popularity.

With this in mind, I was having a similar conversation with one of the marketing gurus from our major TV company, moaning about why good, popular progrs are canned.

She said, 'Oh, it's nothing whatsoever to do with ratings and popularity these days, it's how much can be sold by the advertisers who buy mid-programme time.'

This applies only to commercial stations of course. I don't see what the BBC gain.

It seems far more can be sold to simple people, than to smarter ones (as you might guess I suppose) so the stupid shows which appeal to the 'braindead' as she put it, are the ones which continue.

The world of television is very cynical and for them, as in everything, profit is the bottom line.

Chestnut Sun 22-Sep-19 23:48:51

Fiachna, you can like whatever you wish. I like Michael Kitchen but there are a few actors I don't like and won't choose to watch something they're in. Just realised he was in 'Out of Africa' with RRedford and MStreep, looking rather young and handsome.

Fiachna50 Sun 22-Sep-19 22:55:21

I must be unusual. Don't like Michael Kitchener and didnt take to Foyle's War. Yet really liked Hold The Sunset. Maybe I shouldn't post on these TV threads, or do I just have unusual tastes. I watched a couple of episodes of Foyle's War, just couldn't get into it.

Deedaa Sun 22-Sep-19 21:57:20

The really annoying thing about the cancelling of Home Fires was that if you complained about it you got the usual condescending answer about cancelling it to make room for lots more exciting programmes. Well I'm still waiting for the more exciting ones!

sodapop Sun 22-Sep-19 20:48:11

And of course they are not important to the viewing figures are they janipat

janipat Sun 22-Sep-19 19:21:29

Of course it was the second series Chestnut thank you. In my brain I merged them both into one, well 12 episodes is not many. Yes it was the plane crashing into the house, and wasn't there a lady ( can't remember the character's name ) who was giving birth upstairs in the bedroom. I've heard that although it was very popular with good audience figures, it was felt it appealed to older people only. sigh

Calendargirl Sun 22-Sep-19 16:59:34

Yes, Home Fires was good, lovely haunting theme tune.

When you think of the tripe that is re-commissioned, i.e. Hold the Sunset, (I know it was BBC), you wonder what those in charge think.

sodapop Sun 22-Sep-19 16:47:52

It's strange isn't it, everyone I know enjoyed Home Fires and it was clearly popular with Gransnetters so why in the world was it discontinued. Other programmes continue ad nauseam its really annoying.

Chestnut Sun 22-Sep-19 13:47:27

Left the first series on a knife edge.

I have both on DVD and I think it was the second final series was left on a knife edge if I remember. A plane crashed into the house and we had no idea if the occupants survived. Home Fires was a much loved series and very wrong to stop there especially on such a knife edge.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-Sep-19 13:05:41

When I popped into our living room yesterday afternoon Mr.Gravy was watching a Foyles War.

janipat Sun 22-Sep-19 12:59:04

They really cheated the audience for Home Fires! Left the first series on a knife edge. I read they'd made the first couple of episodes of series 2 when it was decided to pull it. Not a thought given to the cast or audience.
I loved Foyle's War and agree Michael Kitchen was perfect for the role.

Beckett Sun 22-Sep-19 12:58:49

I had visited a friend on Friday night and she had insisted on watching the John Wick film so felt in need of a programme which told a story without all the graphic violence!

Chestnut Sun 22-Sep-19 12:45:44

Radio Times recently conducted a poll of the series you miss most and would like to see again. Foyle's War was Number 1 !!
Curiously Downton Abbey was only Number 8 and beaten by Count Arthur Strong at No 4 which I've never seen! I noticed Home Fires at No 5 which I would most certainly like to see again. I'm rather fond of WW2 drama and this portrayed how the war affected women.

sodapop Sun 22-Sep-19 12:24:23

Loved Foyles War Beckett I wish they had continued the series. Michael Kitchen was ideally cast.

Beckett Sun 22-Sep-19 11:21:01

Last night I decided to re-watch a couple of episodes of Foyles War (I have the boxed sets). There was an actor who I recognised but couldn't quite place - spent some time trying to think of his name, then realised it was a very young James McAvoy!