Gransnet forums

Chat

grieving sister in law

(29 Posts)
sodapop Sun 29-Sep-19 09:08:07

I agree with Auntieflo keeping in touch with your sister in law is the best way to help her.
Phone calls,visits,out for a coffee etc will be a great support.

Auntieflo Sun 29-Sep-19 08:48:13

Travelsafar i think that the staying in touch is probably the most important. Just popping round and giving her a hug.
When my dear friend lost her daughter, at 21, I would get the urge to see her, and just go. She often asked if I was psychic, because she had been wanting to see me.
Just do as your heart prompts, she will appreciate you for loving her so much.

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Sep-19 08:26:27

I have not been in this situation so cannot really advise but I would say just let her know you are always there for her. Of course you are grieving too for your brother and I find this is not a happy time of year. If you live close maybe you could start a hobby together or go to classes. There are lots of things starting up now.

travelsafar Sun 29-Sep-19 08:17:53

How can i help my dearest SIL. My youngest brother died on her birthday last year just before Christmas. I think things are really starting to hit home. She has been keeping herself busy doing stuff in the house, then there was the birth of a new grandchild and she had booked a holiday with others for next month but due to TC collapse that is now not happening. MY dear brother's birthday is coming up soon plus the 1st anniversary of his death and her 1st birthday without him. Combined with the darker evenings and the winter months looming i think she is starting to feel really down. I stay in touch and go see her as much as i can and she is going on holiday with myself and my sister next year. I just feel so much for her and want to help her but not sure what to do. Any advise please. sad