Gransnet forums

Chat

The News

(10 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 01-Oct-19 13:50:44

How the BBC adores politics! Apparently nothing has happened in Britain for three years except the endless Brexit.
I used to have Radio 4 on much of the day then Radio 3 in the evenings but I’ve turned off all day for months past, bored and furious with all the Bs - Brexit, Boris, BBC.
I wonder if others find it all exciting or whether listening and viewing figures have plummeted?

jusnoneed Tue 01-Oct-19 13:56:15

I used to have the radio on all day too but got so fed up with all the political talk that I don't bother with it now. TV doesn't go on until around 7 - 7.30 in the evening either.

BlueSapphire Tue 01-Oct-19 14:49:26

I just ignore it on the radio, don't turn tv on for it either and don't even look at the politics pages in the newspaper. I am fed up with it all.

yggdrasil Tue 01-Oct-19 17:00:04

I don't find it exciting, I find it terrifying. I have to keep up with the news to find out how my life is going to change once we have lost all the advantages of the EU and are in the hands of Trump and the USA. Also to find out if anyone is actually doing anything to slow down the now inevitable climate change. Ignoring all this won't make it go away :-(

Anniebach Tue 01-Oct-19 17:05:43

I do keep rolling news on, SKY it’s Brexit or Hong Kong riots

BBC same

MiniMoon Tue 01-Oct-19 17:38:36

I try to avoid the news. It's depressing, what with Brexit, climate change and unrest around the world.
Where is the good news!

aggie Tue 01-Oct-19 17:44:42

I avoid the news now , it was making me so depressed . I don't ignore the climate change warnings , I recycle and reuse and only buy essentials . I don't drive , but our bus services are very poor so rely on lifts if someone is going where i want to go , but i do try to shop local , we have a small Farm shop and they get anything in for me if I give them warning

Jane10 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:16:12

I always used to watch the 6 o'clock news but now think there's no point any more. We never seem to move forward re brexit one way or another. I was a remainer but am uncomfortable about trying to overturn a democratic majority. Now it's stalemate all the time. One group snookers another and nothing is gained. Really fed up with the lot of them.

GabriellaG54 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:35:07

I bought 2 expensive radios a few months ago as I have never much listened to it and gave my last one away to a friend years ago.
Anyway, heartened by the remarks from lots of GNers regarding to their listening habits, I bought one for my bedroom and one for the sitting room.
I wasted my money as there's little of interest, musically or otherwise.

I now use just one for playing my choice of music from my phone.
Disappointed doesn't come close. sad

NotTooOld Tue 01-Oct-19 20:13:43

I'm afraid I am normally a bit of a news junkie but as Brexit drags on and on I am finding the whole thing depressing. If it is not Brexit it is Hong Kong, which is worse than Brexit as people are getting hurt, if it's not HK it's climate change and now, this evening, the newsreader announced that the Sussexes are taking the Mail on Sunday to court for publishing that letter from her father. Or was it to her father? Well, who cares anyway? The pair of them are getting on my nerves. (Sorry, I may have gone a little off-thread there). Let's have some good news for a change.