Gransnet forums

Chat

AIBU re DDS

(24 Posts)
Moocow Fri 04-Oct-19 20:43:27

LOL

Hetty58 Fri 04-Oct-19 19:06:58

It's just plain laziness! Once you've typed the whole words once it's acceptable to abbreviate thereafter, though.

Oopsminty Fri 04-Oct-19 19:05:59

Took me ages to work out. I was never on Mumsnet so was clueless.

Not a huge fan myself but it's NOMB really.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 04-Oct-19 19:02:43

No. BlueBelle, it's not my DTH as it's not that comfortable, (particularly if I go to sleep in it by mistake, when it digs in to all sorts of places) whereas I do actually like my family!

sodapop Fri 04-Oct-19 18:28:27

I agree Yggdrasil Totally puts me off reading the post when its full of the silly abbreviations. As someone else said at times the dear/darling is inappropriate.
Can't see things changing any time soon though.

TerriBull Fri 04-Oct-19 18:19:16

I never use the prefix "d", it's unnecessary to me. There are some really strange acronyms over on MN for example, I kept seeing posts referring to my "LO" I spent quite a while trying to figure out what a "LO" was and wondering if I'd ever had one confused Loathsome Offal, maybe ? Eventually I rumbled it, "Little One" apparently! Twee hmm Baby, toddler, child surely!

MiniMoon Fri 04-Oct-19 18:06:25

Well, with predictive text, it's often easier to type the whole word rather than the initials.
If it helps, I shall stop using the initials, and write out the words. It really is no trouble.

BlueBelle Fri 04-Oct-19 17:56:44

Lazy stuff why not go the whole hog
Tlk 2morrow if not l8er 2 nite

BlueBelle Fri 04-Oct-19 17:54:57

Don’t you mean your DTH on whenIwas

Wheniwasyourage Fri 04-Oct-19 17:52:53

Well, I like them! In fact, as the DGC acquire mobile phones, I have them listed as DGC1 (name), DGC2 (name) etc, so all the numbers are together and easy to find. The context usually tells you if a Sister-in-law or a son-in-law is meant.

I shall now go and hide behind the sofa with my tin hat on.

Greta Fri 04-Oct-19 17:03:32

Yggdrasil, no you are not the only one who find these initials annoying and confusing.

Try this: ”AIBU to think that my DBH, my DSD and her DW should visit their DM, DGM, WGM and my MiL more often IYCWIM?

You would just give up!

Gonegirl Fri 04-Oct-19 16:42:08

Yeah. Any of those. I suppose. confused

Auntieflo Fri 04-Oct-19 16:25:47

Darned, Dratted, Subscript?

MissAdventure Fri 04-Oct-19 16:22:04

Darling daughters?

Gonegirl Fri 04-Oct-19 16:06:08

DDs?

Gonegirl Fri 04-Oct-19 16:05:09

So, what, if anything does, the "DDS" in the thread title mean"?

BlueBelle Fri 04-Oct-19 16:03:59

I ve said many times I hate it I think it’s lazy (especially when people moan about youngsters and text speak)
I put up with it because the majority on here feel they have to follow Mumsnet and use it but it’s a bind for me and I m constantly having to translate in my brain and when you get a long text full of DD s and DSIL s which can be sister or Son in law or even ‘stupid’ in some cases?
What if you have a dear sister in law AND a dear son in law,in the same story ohh the mind boggles
It’s all ‘trendy’ nonsense
yggd may I suggest you do what I do and always write it in full

MissAdventure Fri 04-Oct-19 16:01:29

I give up if they're too complicated.

janeainsworth Fri 04-Oct-19 16:01:01

But the D can be interpreted in several ways.
Darling
Dear
Dratted
Damned
Dreadful
That’s the fun, working out the meaning from the context.

The only one which I find confusing is SiL.
It’s not always obvious whether it means sister-in-law or son-in-law.

Dottynan Fri 04-Oct-19 15:54:22

I agree. I spend more time trying to work out what the initials stand for than reading the text. Still cannot work out MIV

crazyH Fri 04-Oct-19 15:53:08

Yes, the 'D' is totally unnecessary and in some cases inappropriate.

KatyK Fri 04-Oct-19 15:43:18

I'm used to it now but I found it very odd when I first joined Gransnet.

Tweedle24 Fri 04-Oct-19 15:18:48

No, yggdrasil , you are not.

yggdrasil Fri 04-Oct-19 15:13:13

This has been raised before. I am aware there is a list somewhere to explain it. But I have given up on reading posts that refer to loads of family members by these initials, I just can't make out who is who most of the time.
It doesn't take that long to type a whole word. And prefixing everyone with D when the rest of the post is about someone who is clearly not 'dear' to the writer is even more confusing.
I can't believe I'm the only one fed up with it :-)