Gransnet forums

Chat

Deer in Garden

(4 Posts)
sunseeker Sat 05-Oct-19 09:04:56

Living in a rural area I often see deer in the field behind my house. Late yesterday afternoon there was a deer in my garden - that part of the garden is very sheltered and I have no idea how it got in (the hedge between the garden and the field is very wide and around 6ft tall). I decided to leave it alone (I didn't even close the blinds in the conservatory in case the movement startled it) and the last time I looked out it appeared to be settling down for the night under the hedge. It was wonderful to see such a lovely creature so close but I found myself worrying about it all night and hoping it would find it's way back to the field

I can't see it from the windows now but I haven't ventured out to check the couple of "hidden" spots in the garden.

Now if it is still there - what do I do? Should I leave it or call someone to help get it back to the field, and if so, who do I call!

Oopsminty Sat 05-Oct-19 09:13:52

Gosh! How exciting. Just had a quick google and this website is very good.

Apparently they can jump 8ft so he/she can probably jump back.

helpwildlife.co.uk/sick-or-injured-wildlife/deer/

Observe and only seek help if the deer is distressed or is still there after several hours

Let us know what happens!

Daisymae Sat 05-Oct-19 09:20:41

If it's still there then try the RSPCA.

sunseeker Sat 05-Oct-19 09:52:03

Just checked the whole garden - and it's gone! Still have no idea how it got in. I don't think it jumped the hedge because it didn't look like a full grown deer and as well as being around 6ft high the hedge is around 3/4 ft wide.

I am just glad it found it's way back out of the garden and am thankful for the opportunity to see such a beautiful creature at such a close proximity.