Gransnet forums

Chat

things from the past you dont see now

(155 Posts)
paddyann Sun 06-Oct-19 01:39:45

Today I found an ANKH in a drawer ..remember them ? This one was made of Siamese silver which was really fashionable when I was in my mid teens .I think it was a gift from a boyfriend ...I haven't come across it for decades . I dont think I've seen Siamese silver since 1972. It just appeared out of nowhere.Do you have anything that isn't seen nowadays ?

Scribbles Fri 11-Oct-19 19:06:17

When did you last see a Telex machine in an office?

pensionpat Fri 11-Oct-19 18:54:55

We had a kitchen cabinet with a drop-down door to give a surface to work on. But not to roll pastry as I found when the whole think tipped over me.

Auntieflo Fri 11-Oct-19 17:16:27

DanniRae as well as the tea caddy, we also had a wall mounted can opener.
When we were at infant school, we had little camp beds to nap on in the afternoon. The radio was put on and we had a sleep. Can't imagine that theses days.

annodomini Fri 11-Oct-19 15:25:50

chestnut. You've reminded me of the school wireless. If there was a broadcast our teacher wanted us to hear, she (they were all women) had to send two strong boys to fetch it. It really was immense! The day of George VI's funeral, we trooped into the school hall and listened to the service on the wireless. And also in the hall, we bounced or swayed around to Music and Movement for Infants and, later, Music and Movement for Juniors.

Alexa Fri 11-Oct-19 14:41:39

Newnanny, I love the way you write about all that!

newnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 11:48:44

I used to love the traffic light lollipops. I think they cost 2 old pennies each. I also used to love lemonade powder. One summer the palm of my hand was permanently yellow because I put it in there and then licked it so much. My Mum used to scrub at it with a flannel, but it would not come off.

newnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 11:41:46

My Mum used to make my sisters and I wear liberty bodices to school. through the old mangle

She wrung all of her washing through the old mangle. My sister told me she saw an old mangle in a museum last year. Her young grandchildren were most impressed when she could explain how it worked.

When my children were babies they all wore long white flannelette nighties, dd and ds's, that went right down to their feet for first three months with a hand knitted matinee coat on top now they all ware babygros or baby clothing from birth. So easy to change a nappy with the nighties.

You don't see many hard bodied coach prams anymore either. I still have the Marmet one I was put in as a baby which my Mum gave to me and now it sits in the loft. I was hoping my dd would put dgc in it but no she wanted the all in one pram, pushchair and car seat thing that goes forward and backwards and up and down.

No one uses coppers anymore. My Mum boiled her whites in the copper and used a knob of blue to get them extra white.

How times change. I can remember my Dad on his knees cleaning out the fire form the night before every morning before he went to work and setting it with paper and sticks so my Mum could light it and put our school clothing on the fireguard to warm whilst she made our scrambled eggs or porridge breakfast before we went to school in the winter. Now it is all central heating.

newnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 11:26:58

@EllanVannan I still make a suet pud with golden syrup or jam occasionally and serve with custard. Grandchildren like it.

KatyK Fri 11-Oct-19 10:14:42

Anyone remember covering school exercise books with wallpaper?

DanniRae Thu 10-Oct-19 19:52:26

Not only did I have tea caddy on the wall I had a tin opener too. This was in the 70s

Alexa Thu 10-Oct-19 12:18:58

I love this thread. Thank you Paddyann and all. I do remember Music and Movement..

Chestnut Thu 10-Oct-19 12:10:22

Remember the radio programmes in school?
Singing Together
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30210485
Music and Movement (From 'Historic UK')
All over the country in school halls, children could be found leaping and stretching to the commands on the radio. ‘Now children we are going to sway like trees in the wind’ would be the instruction on the radio and all the children, boys and girls, would begin to sway with their arms in the air. There was no ‘gym kit’ in primary schools so the children just removed their outer clothes and did P.E. in their vests, knickers or underpants and bare feet or pumps (usually purchased from Woolworths).

Amagran Thu 10-Oct-19 11:26:39

I remember the accumulators for the wireless too, BlueSapphire and FarNorth. We used to take ours to the post office for charging.

FarNorth Thu 10-Oct-19 11:15:48

I won one of those wall-fixing tea caddies, at a fairground bingo stall in the summer holidays. My mum used it for many years.
My brother and I always roamed around, unsupervised, in a way that is unlikely to happen now.
Out favourite activities, on holiday, were swimming and playing the assorted games and machines in the fairground.

FarNorth Thu 10-Oct-19 11:06:02

Machines which X-rayed your feet in shoe shops

I always wanted to use one of these but was told No because I didn't need it, unlike my cousin who had a bad leg because of polio.

FarNorth Thu 10-Oct-19 11:01:56

My parents bought a grocers shop.
It had equipment to charge up the very large radio batteries which were made of glass and filled with acid.
Us kids were told that these were very dangerous.
Luckily, after a little while, the ironmonger along the road agreed to take over doing this.

BlueSapphire Thu 10-Oct-19 09:47:22

Frost on the inside of the bedroom windows.

My aunty used to take the accumulator from her massive wireless to the electrical shop to be charged up.

Powder shampoo in sachets.

Gibbs Dentifrice. Oh how we longer for mother to buy proper posh toothpaste in a tube.

Zambuk ointment.

Auntieflo Thu 10-Oct-19 09:39:13

I am so sorry BradfordLass72. I meant you. not YorkshireLass.
I had written my reply, but if I go back to check on something, after previewing, I lose my post.

If you see what I mean.

Auntieflo Thu 10-Oct-19 09:36:32

blueberryl1. We used to have one of those tea caddy dispensers, in the 1960's. It was browny/orange, with a cream lid. Then we changed to tea bags at some time and I suppose I threw it away.
YorkshireLass. I was given some of the original Sunlight soap, after a visit to their factory at Port Sunlight? It was so different from the stuff I had delivered from Amazon, which was a lot softer and didn't last as long. Thanks.

rubysong Thu 10-Oct-19 09:35:47

Creme shampoo. I've never found anything better and DM was convinced it kept nits at bay.

BradfordLass72 Thu 10-Oct-19 05:32:38

There's a craft website here which shows you how to make something similar to the Japanese waterflowers

babbledabbledo.com/paper-flower-for-kids-magical-water-blossoms/

BradfordLass72 Thu 10-Oct-19 05:13:20

Auntieflo Sunlight Soap still sold in our supermarkets. Currently on 'special' for $3.49 - 4 bars.

Dolly Blue is also still available.

Grandy2 Thu 10-Oct-19 00:06:34

Oh Bkueberry1. I'd forgotten about those tea dispensers. But now you've reminded me, we had one when I was a child. Had a blue lid and shute etc and the part that held the tea was clear plastic. That is a blast from the past

Tweedle24 Wed 09-Oct-19 20:15:02

blueberryl I remember my mother having a tea caddy/ dispenser attached to the side of a free-standing kitchen cabinet. The cabinet had sliding glass doors on the top shelves and the front dropped down to form a work surface.

ABefore that I remember ration cards for sweets. I had to take the book to the shop (NAAFI as we lived in quarters on an army base).

Chestnut Wed 09-Oct-19 18:33:05

Talking of Granny's house, in the 1950s my friend's granny had a TV (we didn't) so we went there to watch her tiny b/w screen:
Champion the Wonder Horse.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i_pEYGe1o
Fury.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnnh2oFqy4
Horses seemed to be popular!