Gransnet forums

Chat

A stranger did something really nice for me today

(101 Posts)
Chewbacca Fri 11-Oct-19 21:16:13

I've needed a new pair of boots for a while now but finances are a bit tight to say the least, so I nipped into M & S to see if they had any reasonably priced ones. Found a pair that I liked at the top end of my budget and took them to the pay point. The man who served me asked if I had the M & S discount code but I didn't even know about them and so just shook my head. He smiled at me and said "Well, you're in luck! I've got one here!" And he swiped the voucher and instantly knocked almost £10.00 off the price! I was so surprised and delighted, I could have hugged him but I thanked him profusely instead.

Tomorrow, I'm going to forward on "a kindness to a stranger". smile

Thebeeb Sun 13-Oct-19 10:09:38

Like to put the other side of this.
I volunteer in a hospital cafe and often offer to take trays etc to tables if customers can’t manage or find spots for wheelchairs etc.
People are so pleased and thankful that it lifts my spirits too.
It’s such a pay back to me too. Come out feeling rather good.
Apologies if this sounds smug.

JanT2004 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:21:05

I have 6 online codes to get 20% off at M&S on clothing, beauty and homeware. They last until close of play tomorrow. If anyone wants one please message me and you are welcome to one. They are single use (one per transaction).

Nonnie Sun 13-Oct-19 10:29:40

Thanks for this thread Chew and all those who have posted their experiences, I needed something positive today.

I am fortunate to live in a place where people smile and say hello or whatever as they pass. I have also been the recipient of small kindnesses and hope I find enough opportunities to do the same. We have lovely neighbours and I'm sure if we wanted any kind of help they would give it.

The last one was when a lovely small man came to collect something we had given away on freecycle and did some heavy lifting while he was here. He then sent of photo of the item we had given erected in his garden with a pleasant thank you.

Heather51 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:30:56

Our post is usually delivered around 10 in the morning. On my birthday (a Saturday) we had a second delivery of a card. When I mentioned to the postman the following week about the additional delivery he said that he had found the card at the bottom of his bag when he’d finished but came back to deliver it as he thought it would have been a shame to miss the day. So thoughtful of him.

Riggie Sun 13-Oct-19 10:38:20

This was a couple of years ago. Near Christmas I was in Hobbycraft queuing to pay. The person at the till paid and she was given a voucher for her next purchase. Said she wouldnt use it and passed it on to the person behind her who used it for her purchase. She was then given a voucher and passed it on to the person behind her and so on, it was still going on when I left, much to the amusement of the cashier!

Eglantine21 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:38:51

I was in the DIY store yesterday, puzzling (and getting a bit despairing) over which products I needed for a problem in my new house when a man came up to me and said, “I’m a professional decorator. Tell me what you want to do.”

I explained and then he took me to what I needed and left with a cheery “Hope it goes well.”

GrannyMosh Sun 13-Oct-19 10:47:55

I do wish there was a 'like' button!

MTDancer Sun 13-Oct-19 10:48:16

Years ago when things were very tight someone on a forum read between the lines that I was hard up. She asked for my address saying she wanted to send a card.
She sent a huge Christmas hamper full of goodies for me and the other half.
She said she wanted to teach her kids about kindness.
I send her a card every year, it made me cry.
Then, 20 years ago, we were on vacation in America and I bought my son a hockey top and was presented with a 75% off voucher for the next week. I asked the next customer in line if she would like it and she was delighted. We got chatting and have been friends ever since. She even travelled across state with her husband (whom we had never met) to witness us retaking our vows in a country church in the Appalachian mountains. Her husband thought she was crazy and said we might me axe murderers for all she knew. He, also, is now a firm friend
The world needs more random acts of kindness. Pay it forward people x

RosesAreRed21 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:03:56

No matter how much the saving doesnt a gesture like that just make your day.

pamdixon Sun 13-Oct-19 11:12:24

I remember years ago, in Oxford Street, in London seeing a lost looking woman. Turns out she was russian and had lost the group she was with and didn't know how to get on the tube. I took her down various escalators etc at Oxford Circus, and put her on her tube. In halting english she said 'I hope one day someone will be as nice to you as you have been to me'. I never forgot that!!!

georgia101 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:18:50

I too have had a guardian angel. My car got a puncture in a narrow road in rush hour. It was absolutely pouring with rain. I'd never changed a tyre before, but was going to try to do it as I had no choice. All of a sudden a lovely man appeared and offered to do it for me. I was so grateful. He got soaked to help a stranger. I wasn't a good looking young woman or a helpless old lady. Just middle aged. The sort of age that you don't think anyone notices you. I've never forgotten him in over 30 years, and hope he received help when he needed it most.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:20:27

It doesn’t cost a thing to be kind and makes everyone’s day I regularly give all my mags I’ve read on a weekly basis to a senior citizen who does go out much makes her day, give vouchers away to ppl rather than putting them in recycling

Lancslass1 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:21:56

Heartwarming to hear all these stories.
The lovely thing is that the person who is doing the kind deed gets as much pleasure from doing so as the one who receives it.
Another thing that makes my day is when a stranger pays me a compliment.
I quite often do that especially when there is a small well behaved child on a seat near to me on a bus or train.
The mother always seems pleased when I compliment her on her child’s behaviour.

Happiyogi Sun 13-Oct-19 11:31:39

Thanks for starting this thread Chewbacca. All these stories of kindness from strangers are like a comforting light in the dark.

As a teenager I was hitch hiking in Europe with a friend (I know, I know!) and arrived in a port city in the early evening. The youth hostel was full and couldn't help with a recommendation of anywhere else suitable. This was long before the invention of mobiles and the internet, so we thought we'd ask local people if there was a small hotel nearby. A young couple with a small child and a baby insisted that we stay with them! It felt like the woes of the world had lifted from us. They were so lovely, and gave us breakfast too in the morning. They wouldn't accept any payment but we did send them a postcard from our next destination. I've often remembered their kindness to strangers when we were in real need - and it is staggering to think that their children will now be in their fifties!

Madmaggie Sun 13-Oct-19 12:20:47

I got some of those discount sparks vouchers recently, I gave them to my daughter to pass round at work. A lady once handed one to me in M&S and I was glad of it, I've never forgotten so now I try to pass on the love too ☺ you never know how much it might mean to someone.

MegrannyW1 Sun 13-Oct-19 13:24:51

How lovely to hear nice, positive things for a change. It has made my day

newnanny Sun 13-Oct-19 13:44:04

My sister works in a service station at a Moto she gets a very fgood 79% discount card and a 40% off for family and friends which she has generously given to me. I use it, I lend it to my 2 sons who also use it to get the discount for themselves and their friends, I lend it to my foster child and his social worker and last time we were using it at a serve station on a journey home I was in a queue and about 8 teenagers who were there looking at prices saying they were starving and working out what they could afford. After I had bought our meals I went to one of teens and told them I had card that could get them 40% off and they were absolutely delighted. I think we should all try to offer help and kindness if we can.

newnanny Sun 13-Oct-19 13:46:28

I have also given my dd and her friends the free 6 cinema vouchers you get with a Club Lloyds bank account as we don't have the right cinema near to me and I don't want magazines. She is glad of them as cheap night out for her and friends.

Jennyluck Sun 13-Oct-19 14:40:08

I’d been in town shopping alone, and was having a really down day. I decided to pop into preta manger for coffee, to take on the bus with me.
Asked for my drink and the young woman serving said , have it me. So shocked I said pardon, she said it again.
She made my drink and I thanked her.
Really lifted my spirits that day.

Coyoacan Sun 13-Oct-19 14:53:51

Once when I was young, a lot of things had gone wrong and I was very seriously thinking of killing myself.

On my absolutely worst day, I wandered into a second-hand clothing shop and picked up a scarf to buy. The young man behind the counter gave it to me for free. With that action he changed my mind and I decided to get on with life.

LizH13 Sun 13-Oct-19 15:11:01

Oh Coyoacan that just proves that we never know how much a small good deed might have on another person. So glad that he changed your course. flowers

Sueki44 Sun 13-Oct-19 15:31:15

My husband and I always let the person behind us in the supermarket queue with only a few items go before us when we have a trolley full. It’s such a little thing, but it cheers everyone up....especially if it ends up being a couple of customers ! Not trying to be smug, but these days little actions make us remember how lucky we are.

schnackie Sun 13-Oct-19 15:35:58

This thread has been a joy to read so thank you all for sharing your stories. I also have an important UPDATE for some posters- Refurbishments of the toilets at Victoria Station are now complete! The are accessible, larger, and best of all - FREE.

Bijou Sun 13-Oct-19 15:57:29

I have to use a scooter when shopping and it is very painful for me to get on and off it to reach items

out of my reach. Often elderly people offer to help me whereas younger folk watch me struggle. One elderly lady accompanied by her son offered for him to go round the supermarket with me.
In Sainsburys one of the checkout ladies helps me sort out and packs my bags and puts the cold stuff in my cold bag.

newnanny Sun 13-Oct-19 15:58:43

I always give my vouchers for schools to people with school aged children. They always seem pleased too.