Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice needed please.

(61 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 13-Oct-19 14:06:18

Had x rays end of June, a GP thought problem with femur, knee badly twisted. Had x rays, radiologist said ‘you have a lump, expect you will need a scan’.

Phoned surgery for results, arthritis in knee, hip and base of spine’, I asked ‘and the lump ? ‘, ‘ what lump ? There is no lump you have been referred to the physiotherapy dept,

Waited , then phoned physiotherapy dept, I hadn’t been referred to them, they phoned surgery, error, and I had been referred to a consultant.

Had appointment with consultant, am dependant on MIND staff to take me, had to cancel appointment because it was World Mental Health Day so staff too busy,

Physiotherapy dept sent a community physiotherapist to see me. She gave me lots of exercises to do, I did say I would like to speak to the consultant first because the surgery did seem
more confused than me, and I want to know exactly what the problem is,

No, do the exercises and try walking without the trolley, (I use a two tier trolley to get around the house ), I am very fearful
of falling . I have an emergency alarm button but because I haven’t anyone to be my key holder if I press the alarm button
they will send an ambulance or if not available a police car ,

I have agoraphobia and the thought of being carted off to a hospital A & E , 20 miles away, sitting there alone for hours terrifies me,

I have been waiting since Spring for a hand rail to be fitted down garden path so I can walk outside.

I now want to ignore the physiotherapist, the exercises are so
painful, I will cope with the pain if I knew exactly what the x Ray results were.

Not having a key holder adds to my worries.

Am I being stupid ?

annep1 Wed 16-Oct-19 15:46:27

That's great Anniebach. Hope it all goes well, and I agree about physio. Don't do anything you don't want to do.

maddyone Wed 16-Oct-19 11:28:05

Well that’s very positive Annie, result! Hope it all goes well for you. It just goes to show what simply chasing things up does. Sadly we all have to shout these days, otherwise we can get overlooked.
Re the exercises, if they hurt, my advice would still be not to do them, but consult again with the therapist. If the therapist insists, do them very gently and work up to the full number over time.
Good luck.

EllanVannin Wed 16-Oct-19 11:18:04

I can't believe that you've waited this long for a rail to be fitted. I remember way back when you mentioned that the Council will be fitting one. I bet it had been forgotten ( rolls eyes )

At least it'll help once it's fitted. I remember the neighbour next door to me requesting one when she lived there and it was so quick I thought it had been done overnight.
I'm so pleased for you. x

Anniebach Wed 16-Oct-19 10:59:07

Thank you all.

Update -

Phone appointments office re seeing the consultant, thank heaven I did, because I had to cancel the first appointment,I had explained fully why , they had crossed me off the waiting list ! I now have an appointment in November.

Had a telephone appointment this morning with a GP and asked for more details of the x rays than ‘it’s arthritis,no lump’
So I now know muscle wastage has caused knee bones to mass together.

Seems the GP I saw end of June had requested I be seen
urgently, the same month as I had the x rays , July.
the physiotherapist is to give me exercises for muscle wastage.

Phoned Care and Repair this morning , said I had waited far too long for the hand rail ,which had been requested back in the Spring, it will be fitted next Tuesday

All this is because you all replied to me asking you for advice ,
You are the best friends anyone could wish for.

Thank you x

welbeck Wed 16-Oct-19 00:28:54

where I live there is an organisation called Advocacy In Name of Local Authority.
is there anything like that where you live.
they support vulnerable people in their dealings with health services, councils etc.
I would say all your difficulties put you in the vulnerable category for those purposes.
good luck.

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Oct-19 23:54:14

Anniebach

I have twice been referred for physio and did the exercises given - it made me worse.

It's not going to harm you to ignore the physiotherapist until you get a proper diagnosis, so why not wait, it is YOUR body after all....you have to live in it and more pain and anxiety is something you simply do not need.

It may not be the same in Wales but where I live, the physios are young and sprightly and seem to have no conception whatsoever, of what it is like to cope with arthritis.

"Do this ten times, morning and night" they say glibly, when doing it just once is hell.

If, eventually, exercises are they way to get you a little more mobile, do ONLY what you are comfortable with and work up only very gradually - if you can.

No one is in charge of your body but you.
flowers

travelsafar Tue 15-Oct-19 08:04:15

If you are being supported by MIND how ever little that is maybe ask them to sort out getting a keysafe fitted so that will put your mind at rest if emergency services need to gain access to you.

annep1 Tue 15-Oct-19 05:46:59

And cc your letter to your M.P.

pinkquartz Mon 14-Oct-19 23:49:32

Anniebach

I didn't find your post negative at all!
You are telling us your situation that's all.

Gabrielle54 clearly lives life on a different plane and has no need of council help ever. Do not take on board her criticism.

It might help that you had a form asking about their repair service form Care and Repair. I think that comes out form a computer and it is a good time to tell them how useless they have been.
I once needed a wheelchair ramp......it was built with a step at the top to go into the front door.
How stupid! Mistakes happen by people but it can be very trying when ill and stressed to sort everything out.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 23:30:59

Laurely, great post!

Anniebach Mon 14-Oct-19 21:44:11

I will be ok, thank you all, it helps so much to be able to unload when you have no family near .

So sorry I have sounded negative

tidyskatemum Mon 14-Oct-19 21:38:57

This is so typical of "our wonderful NHS" Like the nursery rhyme, when it's good it's very very good but when it's bad it's horrid. So sorry you have drawn the short straw and being treated in such a cavalier fashion. Time for you or your nearest and dearest to start kicking and screaming!

Laurely Mon 14-Oct-19 21:27:52

Annie: You have explained everything concisely, so that everyone reading this thread can see how the services that should be making your life less difficult are not working together. And since you post on GN, you are also reasonably comfortable with email/computers/IT. Your posts are readable and easy to follow. You have told us, and we can see how difficult your life is - but we are none of us able to do anything to help, except sympathise.

Now compose a long email including everything you have told us. Base it on your original post, add dates/names/places if you have them, then send it to all the organisations/people/services who are not working together for your good. By my count, that is the GP surgery/Medical practice; Radiography dept; Physio dept; Consultant; MIND; the Council. Don't do it one by one: send one, long email to all these simultaneously, and go as high up the management structure as you can. If you don't tell them, they will not be able to see the bigger picture of what it is like to be you. Gingergirl said it: voice your requirements. You are entitled to accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment, and to aids such as a handrail. All the people you have seen are being paid to look after you; they should do it properly, and probably they would if they thought their salaries wouldn't be paid until they got it right. GRRRR!

Then come back and tell us when you have done it, and what the reaction is.

Anniebach Mon 14-Oct-19 21:07:29

Thank you Alexa Care and Repair must surely fit the rail soon as they have asked for my opinions on their work !

Annepl I will continue doing the ankle twirling but no more, have no wish to have sciatica again as I did when first given the exercise instructions , ouch.

grapefruitpip Mon 14-Oct-19 20:43:51

Oh, so sorry, I must have missed that. Ah well, I tried to help. I think the advocate is the way to go.

All the best Annie.

GabriellaG54 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:40:23

Anniebach has previously mentioned that she has a dog walker who collects the dogs from her front door.

grapefruitpip Mon 14-Oct-19 20:36:00

I dunno? Don't you have to let the dogs out somehow? Maybe that could be used as some sort of leverage.

annep1 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:32:12

Actually Benenden paid but what I mean is I had to do it privately.

annep1 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:30:10

Physio doesn't always help GabriellaG54. I was sent for physio for arm pain in our health centre and ended up in agony for weeks. I had to pay for a scan to make sure nothing serious was wrong. Next time I have arm pain I will use painkillers.
Why will you not get a walker that you can use outside Anniebach.

GabriellaG54 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:11:38

You don't mention it being a tea trolley AnnieBach just a trolley with two layers, which one would assume to be a type of double layered walking aid, not a tea trolley.
Your response is very negative about GP surgery, hospital, council, not being able to use Fred, not being able to go out (agoraphobia) not wanting to do exercises.
I'm sorry but there must be some positives in your life and I was partly endorsing what others have suggested and adding my own suggestions,
I had read about the council measuring path etc and wondered if your daughter would intervene as I'm sure she or your other family members, GD DB etc are concerned.
I wish you all the best and at least your therapist and GD visits, however irregular, bring you into contact with a bit of the outside world.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 18:35:27

Dear Anniebach, I hope care and repair have made a nice handrail for you by now.'
You are wise not to continue with exercises if you feel that will increase your injury whatever it is. Wait till the consultant sees you. If its osteoarthritist that can safely wait.

Have you a proper walking frame with two wheels and two legs that stop the thing when you stop so it supports you?These have useful trays so you may still carry stuff a ound on it.

Anniebach Mon 14-Oct-19 18:01:25

You are all so kind, I am going to start speaking out/up, I had a letter today, just opened it, from Care and Repair asking me to fill in a form giving my views on their work/service for fitting the rail !

Will phone them in the morning and will also phone the appointments office at the hospital and ask if I am still on the waiting list to see the consultant, i am now concerned they didn’t keep on on the list , I had to cancel last week and explained why, I don’t trust them, I could be listed as ‘not turning up for the appointment.

trendygran are you able to leave your flat ? I am concerned
you too are coping with isolation

GrannyGravy13 Mon 14-Oct-19 17:15:37

Anniebach I hope when Age Concern visit you if you explain all your concerns to them as you have done so clearly on here that it will lead to some solutions for you.

I so wish I was closer ????

pinkquartz Mon 14-Oct-19 16:55:19

Anniebach you are being treated very badly. I am so sorry that all these people are being so bad a their job.

Regarding possible falls I think you should send an email to the GP and to Social Services/OT dept saying you are afraid you will fall and then it will be more expensive for all involved as well as painful for you.
I have found it can be useful to mention money to councils as they are afraid of being sued.
If you have put your fear into words in an email then they are being negligent if they do not help you. The missing promised handrail is them being negligent.

I agree that you should ask for another GP appt and start again almost.

i understand your fear of going to the hospital but it really should not come to that.
The council are there to help and they have NOT done their job.
Please do follow this up. They will leave you at the back of the queue if you do not say anything,

I hope the help you needs comes soon. flowers

trendygran Mon 14-Oct-19 16:16:53

Anniebach, .No ,you are not being stupid.. I have just been given a diagnosis of ‘severe arthritis’ in my hip ,which radiates down the whole of my right leg.I live on my own in a first floor apartment ,where it is difficult to make friends.The steps are becoming increasingly difficult and there is no lift.My daughter could be a key holder, but she and her DH are busy nurses with two young children,so could not always be available. I do worry about falling and I’ll health ,as had a major operation last year ,which has a lasting effect on my life.