Gransnet forums

Chat

Help

(20 Posts)
Hildagard Mon 14-Oct-19 10:13:50

I woke up this morning with a physical deadness in my chest. As if all the worries of the world were on me. Never felt like this before, been out with the dog, still there. I have nothing to complain about in my life, it I just feel dead, no emotion? Has anyone else felt like this

KatyK Mon 14-Oct-19 10:21:19

Oh yes Hildagard Many times. Hopefully it will pass or you may need a visit to your GP if it continues. flowers

Ginny42 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:34:19

Yes, I have felt like that. I began to wonder if I'd suddenly lost all empathy and love for everyone, even my most beloved people. I was emotionally dead. Yes, it was after a massive shock almost amounting to PTSD. However, I think the best things I did were, to seek help and to force myself to be in the company of people who helped me feel positive about myself. I'll describe what I did in the hope that just maybe it will help. Talking about it is a therapy in itself, so coming on here and telling us was a huge positive step.

I had counselling which I paid for because the waiting list was something like 3 months and I knew I didn't have that long to try to turn it around. Fortunately she was excellent. I had acupuncture twice a week at first to restore a sense of calm and wellbeing.

I tried to reward myself with some small treat for getting through a few hours without that feeling of dread. A coffee in a coffee shop with people around me although I have a wonderful coffee machine at home. I joined an art class. I forced myself to accept invitations to things even though I wanted to leave after an hour or so. I put on a cheerful telephone voice to friends so they wouldn't worry about me. It took a while, but I did it with help.

It's a horrid, empty feeling and if you don't begin to feel more positively fairly quickly I would seek help. I'd be happy to reply if you wish to PM me. flowers

silverlining48 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:34:55

We all get days like this but hope tomorrow will be better Hilda. In the meantime do something you enjoy today, maybe ring a friend, talking does help.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:40:22

Hildagard A couple of times over the years.

I've had counselling. My GP referred me and I started it really quickly. That one to one support is so beneficial.

She recommended a notebook for those times of 'rock bottom' moments that will not shift. Write down all your feelings.

Luckygirl Mon 14-Oct-19 10:50:00

Me too! - having that sort of day today; but I am able to understand the cause/s. Life has been crazily stressful all this year.

I am going to try and get out in the garden to plant some violas - I feel more like crawling under the duvet TBH,

Please don't let this drag on - help is out there.

It is a weird feeling isn't it? And so hard to understand if it hits you with no explanation.

I am holding your hand here. flowers

Hildagard Mon 14-Oct-19 14:09:47

Thank you it just feels so physical! Maybe it is just the weather, rain rain and more rain. I am going to start working on my family tree, maybe that will help. I know that it will pass, I have tried talking to DH but he just feels I am getting at him, when I say how I am feeling!

gt66 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:48:53

Sorry you're feeling so dead Hildegard. I do know how it feels; happened to me after a run of bad luck. Got to the stage I felt what's the point in life, but it will improve after a while. In the meantime do start on your family tree. No need to pay for Ancestry. The following are free to search:-

www.freebmd.org.uk and www.familysearch.org

cornergran Mon 14-Oct-19 15:42:06

Me too, a feeling of dread and an unnamed fear for the future. It arrived yesterday, still with me. Foul isn’t it?

Luckygirl Mon 14-Oct-19 15:47:59

Hand holds heading your way one and all - it is really rotten when this happens.

Hildagard Mon 14-Oct-19 17:41:19

Thank you all feeling a little better, felt the warmth and friendship from you all x

Hildagard Tue 15-Oct-19 07:16:37

Up early this morning, not raining, hurrah. Feel back to normal, going to to some gardening, wouldn’t believe the difference a day makes?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Oct-19 07:49:45

Hikdagard, pleased that you are feeling ok today.

Ginny42 Tue 15-Oct-19 13:21:08

That's good news. Now you know you just have to hunker down and wait for it to lift should it happen again. Have a lovely day!

silverlining48 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:25:55

There you go, told you so. Here’s to tomorrow. sunshine

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 17:56:29

I feel like the OP most of the time these days. I don't think it will go away now.

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 17:58:36

I'm glad you are feeling better Hildagard. smile

Hildagard Tue 15-Oct-19 18:33:44

Still feeling ok, thankfully x

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Oct-19 23:59:24

Oh, Gonegirl really?
That's awful for you. Do have any idea what's causing it?
Sending hugs and flowers

Gonegirl Wed 16-Oct-19 15:02:04

Thank you BradfordLass. Very kind. x

I think I'm just not very good at handling the getting old thing. Can't do the things I always enjoyed - walking, cycling, heavier gardening. That, and the fact that there doesn't seem a lot of purpose to life anymore.

Just feeling sorry for myself. So bad.