Gransnet forums

Chat

what wouldnt you wear?

(109 Posts)
petunia Wed 16-Oct-19 11:35:25

Is there anything you wouldn't wear-for any reason?

I'll give you my example.

I recently spotted a lovely, cosy padded jacket in a gorgeous purple velvet. They had my size. Should I or shouldn't I? Could I justify adding it to my wardrobe? Where would I wear it? These thoughts rushed through my head but I dismissed them all. I loved the colour, it was warm and super cosy. Its felt divine. I took out my bank card, went to complete the purchase.

Then the thought hit me. If I wore this jacket, (I'm fairly well endowed in the bosom department by the way) I would look like a blueberry on legs. So I didn't buy the jacket.

Evie64 Thu 17-Oct-19 19:36:58

OMG! There is so many things I wouldn't/couldn't wear:

Shorter skirts, anything clingy in fact, see through clothing, sleeveless tops, trousers or leggings without a long top to cover the belly and bum, high heels, floor length dresses/skirts (they just look wrong, I look like a tent). Oh well.......... Those were the days.

Just thought, listen to us lot all putting ourselves down! Hang on a minute, we've all had children, all lived until past middle age, all coped with life's ups and downs, and still able to chat on GN with people and have a sense of humour about it all. You know what? We're bloody gorgeous, all of us!

Parklife1 Thu 17-Oct-19 19:09:32

I wouldn’t wear a bikini, a mini skirt, anything see through, animal print, cold shoulder top, high neck anything, Hotter shoes.

I do wear leggings, sleeveless tops in summer, heels sometimes, padded coats, trainers. I have black, grey, multi coloured and pink trainers. But I mostly wear them at my exercise classes. I have knee high boots and ankle boots.

newnanny Thu 17-Oct-19 18:22:08

I would not wear anything see through or too short.

callgirl1 Thu 17-Oct-19 17:59:29

Any advice about possible alternatives to tights, I can`t put them on anymore, but don`t feel dressed up on special occasions with bare legs.

Norah Thu 17-Oct-19 17:43:26

Leggings, trainers, crocs, sleeveless are not for me.

GinJeannie Thu 17-Oct-19 17:20:26

Thongs are the work of the ? Devil, obviously male!

narrowboatnan Thu 17-Oct-19 16:36:19

I love my Crocs! Wouldn't wear them other than tatting around the garden and walking the dog though. Oh, and on the beach because I can paddle with them on.

I love my leggings too. Especially the fleecy ones that I wear in the winter, they are very warm.

What I wouldn't wear now that I am no longer slender with legs up to my armpits are stockings and suspenders, high heeled shoes, pencil skirs or any sort of tailored look.

Or pyjamas. Can't stand the way the bottoms creep up and into places they really didn't aught to be!

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 16:31:07

I disagree about cold shoulder tops.
Larger ladies often have lovely shoulders, (better than scraggy ones!)
Good for them if they want to show them off.

Davida1968 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:28:06

Good grief!! It seems to me that some GNs posting here are being somewhat "judgemental" about what they think other people shouldn't wear...... (The poster - petunia - asks simply: "Is there anything you wouldn't wear - for any reason?")

Daisyboots Thu 17-Oct-19 16:28:01

Jaxie oh how I agree with you. Those cold shoulder tops must be one of the worst fashions ever especially as every outsize fashion shop seems to sell them.

sarahanew Thu 17-Oct-19 16:07:23

If I'm in doubt whether to buy something or not, I would leave it and then if I find myself still thinking about it and wishing I had got it, I go back to the store at a later date and if its still there I'm meant to have it. More often than not I end up happy I've not wasted my money

annodomini Thu 17-Oct-19 15:39:47

High heels - they give me backache
Sleeveless tops - bingo wings
Pussy-cat bows - think Thatcher!

mothertrucker52 Thu 17-Oct-19 15:03:11

Crocs, elasticated waists, bows at the neck or anything beige grin

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 14:56:29

Rosina grin

LondonGranny Thu 17-Oct-19 14:52:30

Correction. I have one dress that could be described as patterned. It has a beautifully embroidered yoke. It didn't when I bought it but I found a lovely piece of embroidery on blue linen in a charity shop that had clearly once been part of a dress so I stiched it onto a turquoise dress and it looks lovely.

LondonGranny Thu 17-Oct-19 14:47:40

My big clothing mistakes were all made before I had kids, thankfully. I tried to wear fashionable things whether or not I felt confident or comfortable. By the time I'd had children my first thought was will it machine wash? Does it have pockets? Is it comfortable? Can I move, stretch and pick up a wriggling toddler while wearing it?
By the time I was in my mid-forties I'd found my style and I just stick to it. I feel comfortable and confident. The acid test is whether my youngest son compliments me (he's usually pretty unobservant). I don't wear patterns except for scarves. When I die I expect my scarves will become known as The Southwark Scarf Hoard and be exhibited in the Museum of London!

NanKate Thu 17-Oct-19 14:47:32

Thanks Chestnut they look great.?

missdeke Thu 17-Oct-19 14:12:19

Ankle grazer trousers!! They look like the wrong leg length has been bought! The most unattractive look in my opinion, either full length or 3/4 length looks better.

Hellsbelles Thu 17-Oct-19 14:06:07

I wouldn't wear shorts anywhere except for gardening in my back garden.
Don't wear high heels anymore.
Don't wear low , cleavage showing tips .

Esspee Thu 17-Oct-19 14:01:07

Crocs, leggings and tights, pyjamas/nighties, short skirts, beige..........

Canalboatgranma Thu 17-Oct-19 13:58:06

Chestnut, I saw the link and now I have bought a pair of boots from Hotter!!

Rosina Thu 17-Oct-19 13:44:37

AN armchair - oh my typing.

Rosina Thu 17-Oct-19 13:43:40

High heels. I stagger about like Dick Emery
Anything shiny (I saw a beautiful, elegant cream satin top which made me look like an iceberg)
Sleeveless clothes
Patterns - make me look like a armchair with a loose cover.

Jaxie Thu 17-Oct-19 13:23:30

PS: I'm not an overweight oldie with tattoos, although I have no waist to speak of.

Jaxie Thu 17-Oct-19 13:22:41

Bare shoulder tops: ok for the young and slim but overweight oldies with tattoos flaunting those daft sleeves with holes, Nooooo.