Gransnet forums

Chat

Retirement

(99 Posts)
Disneyfan Fri 18-Oct-19 15:29:58

Retirement . In 3 short weeks I will have retired. I'm really looking forward to not doing 12hr shifts and getting up before 5 in the morning. The thing is though, people keep asking " what are you going to do?" Its panicked me a little as I've not decided on one particular thing. I would like to volunteer somewhere and try out something new. Is it just me or do others feel the same? Any advice on groups to look at for ideas? Thank you.

beautybumble Sat 19-Oct-19 09:44:42

As you've been so active with your work, I would 'very strongly' suggest that you plan an exercise program for yourself now, before your actual retirement day. I retired at 60, after a lifetime of very hard work. I was always very fit and slim, because of that, and then retired. I didn't have a plan except to enjoy my freedom. So I put on weight for the first time ever and hated it. You'll be looking forward to being free, but trust me you will be so glad you did this. Enjoy yourself now, you deserve it. Good luck.

luluaugust Sat 19-Oct-19 09:44:59

I think some people ask because they are aware just how difficult it is to stop when you have had such a set routine for years. I agree, take a little time perhaps a short/long holiday which makes a natural break between one life and another. There are clubs for every interest out there and sometimes joining just one leads on to other things. U3A very good as it can cover so many interests, WI should help you are friends. Volunteering can be hit and miss but don't let that stop you having a go. You are in charge now.

CleoPanda Sat 19-Oct-19 09:45:45

I absolutely adore being retired. Every day feels like a new day of possibilities. If the sun’s out I’m up and out. If it’s a rainy day I catch up with chores. I volunteer, but not for any charity or organisations, I dog walk for elderly neighbours, take others shopping or pick up things from town; occasionally take them to cafes etc. I sort out some unused, unwanted stuff each week and sell it on ebay. (I’ve sold ALL my smart work clothes, which I’m glad to see the back of). I browse charity shop for books and read a couple each week. I watch a couple of movies a week. I do puzzles; enter competitions. I garden, weather permitting. Meet up with friends for coffee and lunch. I cook from scratch, bake cakes; shop at leisure for ingredients. All things I had so little time for.
Seriously, having worked full time for 40 years; latterly in a high pressured, hectic and ultimately exhausting job, retirement is bliss. It always seemed so corny when people said that you wonder how you found time to work, but it’s true!

Nicolaed Sat 19-Oct-19 09:46:33

My retirement was "forced" upon me through ill health but only just short of my planned exodus from work. My advise would be don't rush to do something. There will be many things you wanted to do at home, in the garden, travel etc that work stopped you from enjoying. Take at least 12 months before committing to do any form of work be that charity or otherwise. Don't plan - Enjoy and go with the flow! ❤️

soos45 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:49:15

I never expected to adapt to retirement as easily as I did. After 38 years teaching, my routines were pretty solid. and I still find it hard to have a lie-in, but really enjoy the freedom of doing what I want to when I want to. As others have said...don’t commit to anything too quickly....I did that, to cover a school admin maternity leave....never again. You’ll find your own new routines eventually...enjoy, you deserve it!

Tummelthecat Sat 19-Oct-19 09:53:13

I’m retiring at the same time. Like you I was getting a bit thrown by the “but what are you going to do?” comments from the working folk. I was at a social occasion the other week where there were a lot of retired people, and everyone of them said it was great and how much I will enjoy it. It is a big change and we will need time to adjust. Good luck!

palliser65 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:53:57

When i was asked 'what you ging to do' I replied 'not come here'. That's what you do. You still live a life just not at that pace with those people. I've been retired 6 years and still luxuriaate in being able to go outside and walk on a beautiful day. You will slowly start to value allsorts of things and enjoy having life not dictated by someone else's schedule. Don't pressurise yourself to DO anything just yet. Enjoy owning your life for a while.

polnan Sat 19-Oct-19 09:56:53

I have been retired 20 years.. I am fortunate as have dh with me.
though he is .... failing, in hospital now, don`t know if he will come out.

but I have enjoyed my retirement years.
I can remember asking God if we could have 10 years together in retirement as we have both worked long..

and there we are,, perhaps at the end of the road now.. but we had 20 years... and pottered, and pithered, and volunteered, and I don`t know where the time has gone.

would do it all again. and we haven`t had much money either, but then we love our home, and never had expensive tastes with holidays etc.

april30 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:57:51

Hi
i was retireď on ill health end of July at the time i was devedtated. like you i done shifts certainly dont miss getting up at 4am!!feels like we on same page as this retirement malarky by all means pm me would be nice to chat to someone who understands as opposed to being told what i should feelsmile

Seajaye Sat 19-Oct-19 09:58:09

I am dreading being retired as I worry about the loss of my identity. I worked very hard building a career and know I'm going to miss it. However I am preparing myself by joining new groups and making time for new hobbies. I have found that there are lots of groups and in activities in the daytime, especially if you live in a town. I hope to step down from full time to part time in the next year or so in preparation. Im now my own, which may be why I dread the loss of routine and work environment, but I hope to establish a different lifestyle, which is time rich but cash poorer but sustainable.
Best of luck with your plans

optimist Sat 19-Oct-19 10:04:20

I agree, give yourself some time before deciding how to fill your day. I retired at 72 after a lifetime of full time work and people immediately tried to put me under pressure to volunteer in charity shops etc. but I resisted. Now I look after my body by doing aqua aerobics and Pilates. I look after my mind by doing art classes and joining a choir. I look after my grandaughter one day a week. And I have developed some lovely friendships something I barely had time for when I worked. Life is good.

Susieq62 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:04:26

I took early retirement at 58 from teaching! I have no regrets and at almost 70 I feel there is still much to be experienced and accomplished!
Give yourself time to adjust to not getting up in the dark! Make a cuppa, go back to bed with a good book or the radio!
Then think what you want to do! Join the library, go swimming, get walking, loads of volunteer experiences available! Join the WI! Lots of things are free or fairly cheap!
Not sure of your family situation but enjoy time out!! Look locally for things to be involved in! Use your bus pass, get a senior railcard, make sure your pension and finances are in order! Good luck and embrace it all ??

MawB Sat 19-Oct-19 10:05:17

polnan flowers
We had just seven years of increasing illness but Paw faced it with courage and patience. He saw the arrival of 4 of our 5 grandchildren, (sadly not the youngest,) but given his transplant back in 1998 we both knew he was living on borrowed time.
I would say do not dread retirement, make the most of it, live life to the full. That does not necessarily mean 2 cruises a year or expensive holidays but do what you can while you can.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Oct-19 10:09:26

I've been too busy with the families over the years I felt I hadn't retired. Wouldn't have had it any other way. Still at it now !

jennilin Sat 19-Oct-19 10:09:51

In my opinion it takes at least 3 months to settle into retirement . I remember the guilt of not rushing round the shops and taking time to visit a cafe etc. I got a dog who gives me great joy , lots of exercise and new found dog walking friends. I also decorated my house ( in my own time) and worked on my garden( in my own time, no need to rush these days) . My grandchildren also keep me busy. I love my retirement ..

EllanVannin Sat 19-Oct-19 10:10:43

You don't have time or the chance to feel ill with this family surrounding you as there's always something.

jenwren Sat 19-Oct-19 10:12:49

Disneyfan, First of all, you don't need loads of money to enjoy retirement. It is quality over quantity.

I retired in 2011 and like you worked all my life from when I left school. For the first few months, I felt a lost soul as most of my friends were still working. I was divorced and living on my own so quite isolated for a time. I did get myself a part time job BUT felt I was going backwards and defeating the object of retirement. After awhile I thought there must be more to life than this and googled friendships groups in my area WELL I would never have imagined what happened next. A lady in that group asked 'Did I play Bridge' No never I replied and she said if I learnt to play I could partner her. I again googled where I could learn to play and found an organisation called U3A for £1 per week I have learnt to play and although I am not a Grandmaster I have learnt to play at club level. It as changed my life completely because not only is it just a game, there are Bridge weekends Bridge holidays abroad and the solo client is very well supported and they supply partners if you go alone. People say 'Arnt they misrable people' No the game is changing as we baby boomers take on the challenge and enjoy it and even some laughter involved which probably never happened with the 'old school' Back to what someone said about needing lots of money to enjoy Retirement absolutely not, just to be still interested in learning new things and keep the brain healthy. U3A offers a multitude of hobbies for £10 per year ie history, craft, poetry, opera, learning a new language all for £1 or £2 per session. Look for the Postive of getting of the treadmill and enjoying your autumn years with things you enjoy doing.

I love being retired and after 54 years of working I am enjoying every minute of doing what I want do.

Enjoy

red1 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:12:52

retirement is different for all,some love it, some wish they were back at work! My take on it is that we have to have a purpose,whether that is meditating,voluntary work ,or paid work etc enjoy it!

Theoddbird Sat 19-Oct-19 10:13:34

I have read with interest as I have decided that I need to retire. Thinking new year. I think most. I know I do, about money. My income will be less than half what it is now. Someone mentioned a part time job...that sounds a good idea. Another mentioned volunteering in a school. I used to do that when my children were young....I listened to them read. I want to craft again...maybe sell online. Money though...I worry about that.

Flossieturner Sat 19-Oct-19 10:14:05

Everyone is different but the first thing I did, which took six weeks, was to go through every room in the house and see what was needed and what was surplus. It was really therapeutic tipping out cupboards and drawers. I wanted to cut down on cleaning and make every room a joy. I tackled the garden and the shed too. I got rid of clothes, ornaments all sorts of stuff. I put lots of stuff on Freely Wheely and met some great people.

I joined a knit and natter group at the library. This led me to becoming a volunteer at the children’s summer reading scheme.

I got rid of my car and determined to have 2 days out a month with the money saved. I became a member of English Heritage, V&A and the British Museum. Every Christmas I ask for a membership subscription as a gift.

Best thing of all though was to get a Rescue dog. I take her to the Forest everyday and both my physical and mental health has improved.

I like my own Company and find the freedom to do exactly as I please is amazing. I have friends who have very different approaches to retirement. Some like to take each day as it comes. Others have to have a plan for the week. One writes out meal plans, job tasks, visits and outings on a big planner which gives her a sense of purpose.

NannyC1 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:15:22

Give yourself time. It's so important. Go on holiday. Make yourself a list of what YOU really want to do,not others.Short term then longer term goals. Volunteer at the local hospital. They are always needed. But most importantly relax and breathe It's your time now. Xx

CrazyGrandma2 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:18:45

I was advised to make no plans for 6mths. Good advice. Enjoy not dancing to someone else's tune. I love retirement. Good luck.

RillaofIngleside Sat 19-Oct-19 10:18:46

I am having a wonderful life, having retired 2 years ago. I have joined our local education centre for classes in writing, and foreign languages. I go on all the interesting trips they arrange and have made great new friends with similar interests. I am learning the piano, and have time to practice now so am improving rapidly. I also dance and do pilates. To give something back I am on the governors of a local school and on our WI committee. I thoroughly recommend retiring, it is the best time of my life. I love everything I do. Go for it!

Madmaggie Sat 19-Oct-19 10:19:26

Take your time, adjust, do what makes you happy. My DH volunteered me (without asking me first) to join a ladies only group via a neighbour who told him they were always looking for new members, I was really put on the spot & he nagged me to join so I could make friends in the area. We had just moved here. I made a big effort to fit in, mucked in with projects and fundraising. Had to pay high annual sub plus very regular 'donations', it was a constant drain on my purse. The town is very small, the group knew each other from childhood and they would meet up for coffee but I wasn't invited. There were very definite factions within the group and I found that aspect difficult, stuck it for a year then left, several women came and went during that time. So, take your time to decide exactly what YOU want to do! If you're a keen gardener some schools have planted gardens and they usually need retired volunteers to guide the pupils although they will have to pay to have a CRB check on you (it's just routine).

Cotswoldslass Sat 19-Oct-19 10:22:41

Hi Disneyfan. Yes it is a daunting thought - especially so if you have worked for the majority of your life. I retired in March from a job I loved however felt I needed to make the break - and boy I have never, ever regretted it - there is so much to do out there that you will soon be thinking "how did I have time to work"? There are clubs and societies to join, most of them nominal fees, evening classes in the winter, meeting up with friends for coffee & cake, not to mention the luxury of visiting places mid week when there aren't so many crowds.........the biggest luxury I feel is having time - time to sit down and read a book if I want, time to spend in the house and garden, not thinking I need to get this done before I go back to work, time just to sit and (frankly) do nothing.......watch TV, soak in the bath, garden, hobbies, etc. Volunteering can be so rewarding and there is so much choice out there - from National Trust room guiding, Citizens Advice Bureau, driving people to hospital appointments, listening to children in your local primary school reading, taking dogs for walks at a local rescue. I picked volunteering posts that echoed my interests and it has been great. I have also revisited hobbies I had in my childhood & teens, before work and motherhood took over! The internet and your local library will be a source of inspiration......my only advice would be not to take too much on too soon, take some space and work out what you want to do before diving in head first!! As someone has already mentioned the U3A is a great starting point for making new friends and continual learning. Enjoy x