Gransnet forums

Chat

London’s Bleeding

(23 Posts)
paintingthetownred Fri 25-Oct-19 14:07:35

nontanan

Yes, it can be anyone's child as the charity called Anyone's Child would say.

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 23:17:22

Such behaviour must be directly due to the breakdown of families where kids no longer have respect for or even fear of their elders.

It is not just kids from dysfunctional families! Its kids from loving homes too!

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 22:53:19

Not all gang culture is about drugs though as the programme explained.

Dysfunctional families, disenfranchised youths who group together as ‘bro’s. to make up for their lack of love and support at home. Frightened boys who look up to tougher boys for protection and hoping to find a place in their world, a poor, scary, sad environment. Heartbreaking.

Ellianne Sun 20-Oct-19 22:50:43

It is really worrying that we are now seeing such events on a daily basis in London. There have been stabbings at our tube station in daylight hours and only last month a city worker was tasered at 7.15 am by youths wanting his watch and phone. A colleague's school boy son was beaten up on the tube and had a can of drink poured over him. Such behaviour must be directly due to the breakdown of families where kids no longer have respect for or even fear of their elders.

paintingthetownred Sun 20-Oct-19 22:35:37

Wondering what the 'sigh' is about lemogrove?
Gang culture nowadays is county lines. There are loads of educational things out there

Film released in London at the film awards of the same name.
Yes, it is not about the Krays thing anyomore.
We need to understand it, work together with the agencies and act accordingly.

Not sure what the sigh is about.
At my end this was an 'education' I didn't choose to have. But I know about it now thanks to others who have worked on it.

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 22:33:11

I’ve just watched it lemon 7 stabbing sin 5 days ‘a quiet week’ at The London Free.

As I thought, ‘disrespecting’ an individual, black on black (NOT my words - a black medic) said ‘carrying’ (a knife) was endemic. Social media.

One boy a white lad aged 16y was stabbed, needing 2 hours of surgery for a punctured liver and stomach, after being set upon by some lads who wanted his phone and pushbike. (For County line runs maybe as paintingthetownred says?)

It’s a complex and scary situation.

I think more Police on the streets and ‘stop and search’ would help.

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 22:30:36

Bad as that is ( gang stabbings about drugs) it’s more the ‘I don’t like the look of you’ stabbings, the casualness of it all.

Which is part of gang culture and it suits the gangs purposes to encourage it!

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 21:58:06

I’m planning to watch it on catch-up lemongrove
I agree, there seems to be a lot of anger and ‘disrespecting* face saving about. Social media plays its part I expect, egging one another on, winding things up.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 21:56:44

Sigh!

paintingthetownred Sun 20-Oct-19 21:54:58

It's about child exploitation. Check out the NSPCC website on County Lines.

Gransnetters and co need to wise up on this one.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 21:43:38

Yes Doodle exactly.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 21:42:48

Bad as that is ( gang stabbings about drugs) it’s more the ‘I don’t like the look of you’ stabbings, the casualness of it all.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 21:41:05

It’s not all about drugs!
Did anyone watch this programme?

petra Sun 20-Oct-19 21:38:36

For obvious reasons which I won't go into many of us here in Southend on sea knew what was happening with county lines
at least 2 years ago. For whatever reason, not a lot happened,? although things are changing ?

I have witnessed 2 incidents in Southend where please have 'apprehended' the low life.

Just this last week my grandson was witness to one of his classmates being threatened with a knife outside the school gates. At least one good thing came out of that: he now believes us when we ( the whole family) tell him he can't go to places in town with his school friends ?

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 21:06:32

painting is correct. London knife crime IS intertwined with county lines drug distribution. You really cannot separate the two. It suiys the big bosses to have the kids stabbing each other, creates diversions and keeps services busy.

paintingthetownred Sun 20-Oct-19 21:03:53

And now they ship their gangster out into other areas and exploit kids. Check out county lines. We are all together in this one. ..

Doodle Sun 20-Oct-19 21:02:39

I agree nothing like the Krays that is totally different. These are ordinary kids.

Doodle Sun 20-Oct-19 21:01:47

Years ago if they had a grudge with someone they may punch them. Now they have a knife in their pockets, they get angry for some reason, out somewhere the knife and before you know it lives are ruined.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 20:55:27

This is entirely different to ‘firms’ like the Krays etc, They were all men and into protection rackets and crime.These boys are young and out of control and very violent for often the most flimsy of reasons.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 20:52:33

This programme is about London.....hence my thread title.

Not always drugs BradfordL the reasons so far are various,
Giving a look that ‘lacks respect’ (!) wanting to steal another’s phone, or another’s push bike.

paintingthetownred Sun 20-Oct-19 20:47:58

Not just London. Check out County Lines. Needs far more than a simple solution. London is exporting it's issues to towns way further afield. And those of us who have teenage grand kids need to wise up on it.

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:46:36

Drugs?

London will survive. It always has: invasions; plagues, fires and gang land murders. Remember the Krays? They look like pussycats compared to what happens now sad

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 20:43:58

Just watching this programme on the awful rise of knife crime in London.The surgeons and doctors at the hospital are treating so many young men day after day, stabbed ( sometimes fatally) for the most obscure and ridiculous reasons.