Gransnet forums

Chat

Sex after Hysterectomy

(18 Posts)
KpNoodles Wed 23-Oct-19 08:04:14

Hi, next month I am having a laparoscopic total hysterectomy for painful, heavy periods. I have heard that after having a hysterectomy sex won't be as good and your body is less sensitive. Has anyone who has had a hysterectomy experienced this?

Harris27 Wed 23-Oct-19 08:33:19

Yes. I did go off this and tried hard to come back to this. Dryness and lack of interest was my problem. 12 years on and my advice is to take it easy and not expect too much too soon. Good luck.

KpNoodles Wed 23-Oct-19 08:37:58

Harris27 thanks for you message. How old was you when you had your hysterectomy, was it laparoscapic and did you have your ovaries removed? Do you regret having it done?

kircubbin2000 Wed 23-Oct-19 09:12:17

As they cut sensation will be lost.

sodapop Wed 23-Oct-19 09:24:06

I had a hysterectomy 26 years ago, it was the best thing I ever did. No more dreadful periods, no more pain. It took a while to get back into a regular sex life and a bit of patience but after that things were great. Don't worry about it, take your time and all will be well. Good luck.

PurpleIris Wed 23-Oct-19 09:25:52

Morning KP.Noodles,
I haven't had a hysterectomy but have had both my Ovaries removed(bilateral oophorectomy?) Due to huge tumours on them.I assume by total hysterectomy your Ovaries will be taken too.I was 40 when one was removed and 46 for the second.The sudden loss of hormones hit immediately and also lack of sexual interest.I had to go on HRT after the 6 week recovery as I was strongly advised to due to breast cancer in the family,I'm a risk with hrt and a higher risk without.My husband still has a high sex drive and I have to make an effort.Ive lots of friends who have had hysyerectomy's and they are similar.Its all hormone related so things will be a little different.I wish you well with your surgery and recovery ?

Teetime Wed 23-Oct-19 09:33:36

I have two friends who have had laparoscopic hysterectomies this year and after a short recovery period both have resumed normal activities and both looking very well. Good Luck.

mcem Wed 23-Oct-19 11:08:33

Similar op at 45 with ovaries left.
Huge improvement in the bedroom!

KpNoodles Wed 23-Oct-19 11:36:08

mcem, thanks for your message. What was the reason for your hysterectomy? Has it improved as you aren't in constant pain or it has just generally improved?

KpNoodles Wed 23-Oct-19 11:37:53

Thanks for all your messages. PurpleIris, my ovaries are staying. Did you friends all have their ovaries taken out? Sorry to hear you had problems after your ovary removal x

PurpleIris Wed 23-Oct-19 14:08:16

Thankyou KP.Noodles,
I've friends that still have Ovaries and they have had no further problems.Your hormones will still be functioning and you should return to "business as usual" lol post Op.
Good luck with everything.No periods is a blessing ?

KpNoodles Wed 23-Oct-19 14:12:52

Thanks PurpleIris, all the best

GrandmaJan Wed 23-Oct-19 15:07:10

KpNoodles a total hysterectomy is removal of your cervix as well which is normal now. I had a total hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy and after the usual recovery time things in the bedroom went back to normal without the worry of pregnancy (I was 38 when I had my operation) and no periods!! Sometimes the ovaries can start to atrophy some time after a hysterectomy so you do need to be aware in case you get peri menopausal symptoms. Good luck and your recovery will go well I’m sure.

KpNoodles Wed 23-Oct-19 15:19:12

GrandmaJan. Thanks for your message, I'm glad things went well for you. Good to hear all the positive messages

mcem Wed 23-Oct-19 16:57:05

Since my ovaries were left I didn't have to cope with a sudden onset of menopause which was a blessing.
I'd had a very unpleasant prolapse for quite a while and my doc believed that the repair-type op's almost always resulted in a hysterectomy later so suggested dealing with it once and for all.
I had severe discomfort rather than real pain.
Recovery time is important - follow the advice very closely. No lifting, bed-changing, hoovering etc for 6 weeks . I recovered so quickly that I felt a bit of a fraud and while relaxing at home, I had to admit I felt guilty about not being at work!
This was all 2 years post divorce so having a nice new man around was very encouraging!
Absolutely no problems and a new lease of life.

Liz46 Wed 23-Oct-19 17:46:29

I had endometriosis and had my ovaries removed as well so I immediately started dramatic hot flushes. I had to wait for a while and then started HRT patches - wonderful! I am on the lowest dose now (about 30 years later) and also have oestrogen cream. No complaints or problems. My OH says 'use it or lose it'.

GrandmainOz Thu 24-Oct-19 06:40:56

I'm about to have a total hysterectomy - cervix, ovaries, the lot. In reference to your question about sex, it's worrying me too
(*TMI warning*)
as I find the uterine contractions intrinsic to the experience of orgasm. So I'm concerned about what'll happen without a uterus!
I'm going straight onto oestrogen patches as I'm not menopausal yet either, but having ovaries out as Mum died of ovarian cancer last year.
I go in Monday.
Best of luck to you kpnoodles

KpNoodles Thu 24-Oct-19 15:20:51

mcem, thanks for your reply. I'm really glad it worked out well for you.
Liz46, thanks for your message.
GrandmainOz, I hope all goes well with your op on Monday and I wish you a quick recovery. I'm sorry to hear about your Mum, I can understand why you want your ovaries removed. All the best to you