Gransnet forums

Chat

Turning the clocks back

(73 Posts)
watermeadow Sat 26-Oct-19 20:50:23

Hurrah! As an early riser I prefer light mornings to evenings.
Do you alter your clocks when you go to bed tonight or when you get up tomorrow?

timetogo2016 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:42:51

I change ours in the morning.
But was pleasantly surprised to find my mobile changed by itself.

LadyGracie Mon 28-Oct-19 09:05:06

I forgot to adjust the time clock on the cat, he woke me at 5.15 this morning pussyfooting on my chest.

Harris27 Mon 28-Oct-19 09:01:34

I normally do it before I go to bed but forgot this time so I had to change them all this morning. I like the light mornings hate the dark nights I fin work at 5.30 so it’s Dark coming home.

sodapop Mon 28-Oct-19 08:30:36

Our dogs were the same yesterday watermeadow waiting impatiently for their walk and dinner an hour early.

fizzers Mon 28-Oct-19 08:29:02

Apart from one little manual clock, everything altered itself automatically, my cats on the otherhand.....

NanKate Mon 28-Oct-19 06:51:06

Awake bang on 5.00 this morning because my body thinks it is 6.00 what a thorough nuisance, I’m not a happy bunny ?

Namsnanny Mon 28-Oct-19 00:18:00

All I can say is I look forward to the 21st Dec.

Grannybags … mine too, and yes very annoying grin

NfkDumpling Sun 27-Oct-19 21:14:03

Surprisingly I do better travelling long distance with a big time difference than I do with this hour change. I think it's because on holiday I'm out of my routine in strange surroundings.

My body is a creature of habit. I wake at around six (five this morning) Breakfast at seven (six this morning), lunch at twelve (stretched it to half eleven by which time I was ravenous). I really want to go to bed now.

watermeadow Sun 27-Oct-19 19:45:56

My animals’ dinner time is 6pm. Well, it once was but they’ve pushed it earlier and earlier. Today it was 4 o’clock because they thought it was 5. If I’m confused I can’t blame them.

Fennel Sun 27-Oct-19 19:45:33

Living up north I find the quite sudden difference between summer and winter difficult to adapt to.
The further south you go the less the difference.
I prefer autumn and winter, to those long summer days when I fell like it's never bed time.

ginny Sun 27-Oct-19 19:29:41

I hate the clocks going back and the dark evenings.
I can’t believe anyone could be jetlagged just because of an hour !

MawB Sun 27-Oct-19 18:45:00

Putting the clocks back?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 27-Oct-19 17:14:19

I changed the downstairs clocks during the afternoon and then the upstairs clocks at bedtime. It doesn't take much to confuse me. Thankfully I found the mobile phone altered itself as I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, also the clock in the car works on the same principle.

phoenix Sun 27-Oct-19 17:06:34

Oliver Sprout has just arrived in the kitchen, and seems pleased that he has turned up at the right time (6pm) for his supper.

Err, no, you're early, wait for the "bongs", "yes, I know that they will be late, but you have been (sort of) bong trained, so let's just stick with that, shall we?"

Sigh, we have this problem every Autumn, yet curiously the mogs adapt pretty well to the Spring time change! smile

Calendargirl Sun 27-Oct-19 17:05:15

One good thing about darker nights. Not feeling you have to be busy doing jobs all the time. I shower earlier, pop on my pyjamas, dressing gown,slippers, and watch tv, read, look things up on my I pad, just chill out really.

SueDonim Sun 27-Oct-19 16:43:28

Regarding clocks in cars, we made an expensive error one year when the clocks changed. One of our cars changes the time automatically, the other doesn't. We came back from a trip to the US, jet lagged with the 10 hour time change, and drove home from the airport.

We were astonished to receive a letter a few days later issuing dh with a fine for driving in a bus lane during prohibited hours. confused We eventually worked out that it was because we hadn't twigged there'd just been a time change in the UK and the car didn't change automatically so when we'd thought it was 4.05pm, it was in fact 5.05pm. Expensive lesson!

humptydumpty Sun 27-Oct-19 13:13:03

I'm with you Grandma70s - why can't we have a referendum about keeping the clocks the same all year (BST)? Elainei, I'm not sure actually that the stats are in favour of lighter mornings, because the effect of the dark evenings means accidents are transferred to that part of the day. This from the charity Brake:

"During the week, casualty rates peak between 5pm-6pm for adults, and 3.30pm-4.30pm for children. There is another peak in the morning, 8-9am, but the afternoon peak is higher for all ages. These times coincide with the morning and evening rush hours and school runs, which are already dangerous due to the volume of traffic, and even more so in the winter months when the evening journeys are made in the dark."

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Oct-19 12:33:24

I am less keen when my boiler decides to take a holiday- thankfully not today.

Gonegirl Sun 27-Oct-19 12:31:42

I prefer winter, especially when the sun is shining in through my window like today.

Not too keen on it when it gets wet and dreary.

GrannieMigs Sun 27-Oct-19 12:21:44

ayse; I know. I was being somewhat ironic. This was all supposed to have been agreed at the International Meridian Conference in 1884. The USA had already adopted Greenwich, and was very much in favour of continuing to do so. Twenty three of the 26 nations represented agreed. San Domingo (now called the Dominican Republic) voted against; France and Brazil abstained. France didn't actually adopt the Greenwich Meridian for time-keeping until 1911 - and even later for navigation. I understand that the Paris Meridian is still shown on some modern French maps. Plus ca change....

sodapop Sun 27-Oct-19 12:08:40

I'm with the love winter minority. Love the cold weather, Autumn, winter etc. Nice to be cosy by the fire with a book or GN. I hate the hot weather with a vengeance.

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Oct-19 12:00:20

I reminded a friend of mine at least three times to move her clocks one hour backwards but no, dillydaydream moved hers forward an hour. Her husband did not notice- he follows instructions. I give up.

whywhywhy Sun 27-Oct-19 11:54:44

Roll on March and the light night are on the way back. Grrrrr I hate the dark nights and stupid Halloween. Oh and don't get me started on C! x

mcem Sun 27-Oct-19 11:47:48

I own nothing that isn't changed automatically.
Today will not be disrupted in any way.
Hated going to work and then coming home in the dark but that is no longer an issue.

ayse Sun 27-Oct-19 11:34:16

GrannieMigs, we had that particular disagreement in the 18th century but I’m not sure if that is correct. Anyway it’s already been resolved