Gransnet forums

Chat

Any butterfly lovers ?

(5 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 31-Oct-19 14:27:49

thanks everyone
It’s going into a shoebox in my attic room and I ll keep an out on it when weather warms up

PamelaJ1 Thu 31-Oct-19 12:11:36

Remember to let it out next year!

Fennel Thu 31-Oct-19 11:36:45

Lucky You! and good advice fromMinimoon - I didn't know that.
When we lived in the countryside around springtime I noticed that nettles along roadside ditches were covered with sticky black stuff. Eventually this turned into masses of black caterpillars. Not sure but I think the next stage is the pupa, from which emerges the peacock butterfly.
Nettles are so abundant, ideal food for them.

MiniMoon Thu 31-Oct-19 09:37:30

It's a peacock butterfly. It will have come in looking for a place to hibernate.
The following is from the Scottish butterfly trust:

The best thing you can do if you see a butterfly flying about in your house in the middle of winter is to relocate it to a cooler spot. Put it in a cardboard box for a while to calm it down and then put it in your shed, garage or some other suitable location.20 Nov 2013

BlueBelle Thu 31-Oct-19 08:05:54

This morning I decided to turn my bed mattress as I flipped it over I brushed off what I thought was a piece of thin black plastic carried on making the bed turned round and there was a very large beautiful butterfly on my pjs on the floor
I carefully put it in a small dark box but witching 2 minutes it was whizzing round the room
What do I do with it I ve left it alone in the bedroom door shut but it won’t survive will it ?
I presume is a peacock although there’s no red or other colours just all black or very very dark brown It’s a large good looking chap