Gransnet forums

Chat

Sunday food, not main meal

(19 Posts)
Cabbie21 Tue 05-Nov-19 09:00:56

Following on from the Sunday tea thread, what do you eat on Sundays nowadays, apart from the main meal, whichever time of day you have it?
We almost always have a roast around 1 pm, then something light around 7 or 8 pm, usually a ham or salmon roll.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-Nov-19 09:05:33

We have a late cooked breakfast (brunch?) sometimes at home and sometimes at a little cafe down the road.

Main meal, usually a roast around 6-7pm.

rubysong Tue 05-Nov-19 09:09:08

Egg for breakfast on Sunday. (Poached, scrambled or boiled.) Then maybe a small sandwich at lunchtime and whatever else at about 5:30pm. We sometimes have a roast, Yorkshire puddings etc. but by no means every week. This Sunday I made a vegetarian shepherd's pie and blackberry pie and custard as DS and family, who are vegetarian were with us.
Later in the evening we might have a bottle of wine and very occasionally crackers and cheese.

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 09:37:09

Broadly a 'nice' main meal at lunchtime, joints are impractical for 2 but I buy game birds and venison from a local Game Butcher and individual portioned lamb or pork 'products' from a local breeder/butcher. These are served with roast potatoes etc and a 'proper pud', fruit crumble or similar.

In the evening we usually have crumpets, muffins or similar served with a savoury topping, and a slice of home-made cake.

grapefruitpip Tue 05-Nov-19 09:39:20

Isn't this a thread about a thread.....be afraid, be very afraid, the GN police will be after you.

MiniMoon Tue 05-Nov-19 10:03:30

We have a main meal at about 1pm.
I sometimes make scones or rock buns for tea, to go with a sandwich of some sort.
This Sunday we had DGD for the day, and I made melting moments, pancakes and bacon with maple syrup.

Teetime Tue 05-Nov-19 10:46:09

We have a leisurely breakfast usually only eggs and toast, usually something on crispbreads with a big salad at lunch and then dinner about 6.30 - sometimes a roast but sometimes a paella or shepherds pie. We have taken lately to wandering down to the very good Indian restaurant for an early dinner - usually empty just us two beautiful service and food - bill this week £20!! Sunday is discount night.

Sara65 Tue 05-Nov-19 11:11:56

We have absolutely no routine on a Sunday, I haven’t cooked a roast dinner for probably twenty years or more, husband sometimes cooks if we’re home, but we often go out.

He does always cook himself a cooked breakfast though.

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 11:16:12

Always a Sunday roast. Then toast with cheese for tea about 6 ish.

I lay on a bit more, including a homemade cake, if family are visiting.

tanith Tue 05-Nov-19 11:20:54

Cereal and fruit for breakfast, I’ll eat dinner, I’ll only do a roast every couple of months so maybe a chop or steak and chips about 4pm, sometimes cheese and crackers about 8ish.

Mapleleaf Tue 05-Nov-19 13:34:21

Nothing is set in stone in our house. Some Sundays we might fancy a roast, but it's very rare, other times it could be fish, casserole (various meats, depending what we fancy), lasagna, spaghetti bolognese, steak, etc. We tend to have this meal early evening, and just something light mid day, for example, soup. Occasionally, we go out instead.

BBbevan Tue 05-Nov-19 13:38:38

We have a lovely late breakfast. Banana and peanut butter pancakes are a current favourite.
We have 'tea' around 5. Curry, fish, salad, pasta. Anything really that we fancy. Sometimes just crumpets and a cup of tea.

Sussexborn Tue 05-Nov-19 13:50:29

We quite often have croissants from Lidl on Sundays especially if we are having a roast dinner.

Unfortunately more people have cottoned on to this and you need to get there just on 10am or the basket is empty.

You would think that the powers that be would cotton on to this and supply more.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 05-Nov-19 13:57:03

Sunday are like most other days of the week for us. Our work outside can't stop just because it's Sunday We grab the occasional day / part day off and escape the pull of our land.

I love to do a roast though. I buy a big joint and either portion it up and freeze most. Or cook it all and then portion and freeze them.

I do like a slow roast brisket, my roasties and at the moment sprouts.

Curlywhirly Tue 05-Nov-19 16:50:21

Bacon and egg on barm cakes or toast at about 10.00am. A small snack about 2.00pm (sandwich or pate/cheese on crackers) then at about 6.00pm roast dinner or sometimes chicken in a sauce (red wine/creamy mustard/mushroom - all homemade) and always with roast potatoes, wouldn't be Sunday without roasties! Sometimes have a dessert or sometimes settle down to watch TV with a cuppa and some Aldi dark chocolate with hazelnuts, which is divine!

BlueSapphire Tue 05-Nov-19 20:09:15

Even though I am now on my own I still keep to the similar routine that DH and I had; I find it comforting. A late cooked brunch, usually sausage or bacon butty or a boiled egg and toast. Then a roast dinner about 6.30ish. DH and I used to go to the pub at lunchtime for a drink and a packet of crisps, but I don't do that now. I will sit at home and have a drink and crisps early afternoon if I am in.

Witzend Thu 07-Nov-19 18:44:53

We will usually have a roast, but not until the evening. If I have a big lunch I just want to sleep afterwards!

Dh always gets his own breakfast and lunch - mostly the same sort of healthy-ish things. I'm never hungry first thing so will have whatever I fancy around 10 or 11, maybe a poached egg on toast. Sunday makes no difference there.

We will usually only have a good old fry-up breakfast if we've got guests - we do really enjoy it then, though.

phoenix Thu 07-Nov-19 19:02:07

"Brunch" either sort of "English" breakfast,bacon,eggs, black pudding, or paninis, around 12, than main meal at approx 6pm.

ginny Thu 07-Nov-19 22:10:09

No routine here. Depends what we are doing, who is here and how we feel.