Gransnet forums

Chat

Why are you not convinced ?

(18 Posts)
Hetty58 Wed 22-Jan-20 11:44:25

And still the detailed replies go on. People read the post, ignore the pages of replies, (maybe just read the last few) then blindly dispense their 'advice', repeating over and over the things already said.

Is the OP writing a book, doing research - or desperately trying to 'generate traffic' for the site?

Hetty58 Wed 22-Jan-20 11:25:01

People change their user name and post a new fake 'problem'.

You would think that, at least, they would make an effort to vary their writing style, the phrases they use and the (fake) scenarios they post - just a little. Then they wouldn't be identified quite so easily. But no, the same old stuff is regurgitated!

It's sad to then see the detailed replies that kind people have taken the time to (and made the effort to) post.

trisher Fri 08-Nov-19 17:54:55

rosenoir have a look at the specifications for media GCSEs. The students need to demonstrate on-line knowledge of media outlets aimed at different age groups. It's not just a bit of fun they are actually studying us. But we take it all in good part.

Specky Fri 08-Nov-19 12:39:03

Gallusquine... I think we have been looking on the same posts as i also asked why someone was questioning the thread but didn't get a response from the person concerned... This only served to deepen my 'looking over my shoulder' feeling...it's all very James Bond.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Nov-19 12:14:21

rosenoir you are wrong I m afraid I don’t know that there are any or at least hardly any posters on here who are afraid of sexual content we have gone past the ‘fainting ladies and smelling salts stage’ and I m sure most of us have showed more than their ankles through their lives and most also are quite able to take and give as good as they get, however sometimes it becomes very obvious that someone is taking the pee
And whilst I can’t judge that any of the posters are teenagers we have had teens on here asking for help with school/college projects, so they do come on here contrary to your beliefs

I can’t remember all the details(someone else may) but a while ago there was a thread from someone very distressed about feeling or seeing their dead mother (I think it was) presence they were many helpful posts and some people got quite upset with their own memories coming to the fore This was then found to be a complete windup and removed but not before it had upset a number of people
We have also had people writing books and trying to get ‘free’ stories
It’s not always exactly what it seems

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 12:00:11

Ladymuck, I’m sure you’re right, any number of threads are created that are simply and purely designed to cause conflict and argument. These threads are normally found under the News and Politics section. But none the less these are genuine threads, just posted by disingenuous posters. There are probably some fake threads started, although it’s difficult to know what fake means since all posters must join Gransnet and create an account. I have seen one or two strange/questionable threads though.

rosenoir Fri 08-Nov-19 11:48:57

The posters that accuse teenagers of making fake posts know some rather odd teens. I doubt any of them have heard of gransnet and certainly would not bother making a fake account and posting just to wind up a few old ladies.

The posts that have any sexual content are usually the ones that are accused of being fake,being reported by those who do not think sexual content should be disscussed.

ladymuck Fri 08-Nov-19 11:19:01

I'm sure there are people who deliberately start a thread which they know will cause arguments. They must feel very smug when they see everyone at each others throats.

I'm curious about posts being removed. Do the posts only get deleted when someone complains? I have seen some posts deleted when others haven't, even though they have been very similar.

gallusquine Fri 08-Nov-19 10:10:17

I will continue to be intrigued,educated, amused and delighted by posts and responses.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond

Grannybags Fri 08-Nov-19 10:03:24

I've been deleted for suggesting a post was a wind up too. And don't mention an all-in-one garment....!

trisher Fri 08-Nov-19 10:02:04

The answer is "yes" and I think we became aware at some point that we might be the target of some bored individual in the school hols or a bit of research for some project, Hence the uniform. On the other hand the threads became quite amusing. I miss them grin

Gonegirl Fri 08-Nov-19 10:02:02

some of the threads where this has happened have been mildly sexual in nature

Well, that will always be met with screams of horror and requests for deletion. hmm

Urmstongran Fri 08-Nov-19 09:59:51

Many weird deep family issue posts pop up during the school holidays gq and a few kind hearted grans start to give advice. Then I notice the OP reels them in with further whacky scenarios and some posers, bless them, continue to respond. They usually fizzle out when some savvy grans post some one liners as a hint to all, but GNHQ won’t allow us to use phrases such as ‘is this a wind up?’

When I was new a couple of years ago, I posted such a response and my post got deleted and I received a slap on the wrist by the moderators. I rarely post now if I have my suspicions!

Nonnie Fri 08-Nov-19 09:57:17

Oh yes, there are a few scams, a few 'researchers' and some from Mumsnet who simply want to sound off or get confirmation that they are 'right'. You get used to them and reach the stage of wondering if we will ever see a new poster again when their thread dies a natural death.

I think we like to keep our identities secret become some of us have been stalked by unpleasant people. Of course some are happy to reveal who they are because they don't have a bad experience.

As in RL it takes all sorts........

ninathenana Fri 08-Nov-19 09:42:26

Unfortunately MawB is right. I do note she says most
BTW watch out for threads regarding school uniform or Shoezone shoes wink

Sara65 Fri 08-Nov-19 09:14:39

Gallusquine.

I’m relatively new, and it never occurs to me to be suspicious of anyone, I usually feel quite stupid when I eventually catch on!

MawB Fri 08-Nov-19 09:12:10

I think the answer to most of your questions is “Yes” smile

gallusquine Fri 08-Nov-19 09:05:01

I'm a newcomer to GN and have noticed posters questioning if a thread is genuine and others agreeing that they are sceptical too.

Is there a history on GN of fake posts ?

Do the doubters think these posts originate from within the GN system itself to stimulate discussion ?

Do the posts originate from made up profiles. Why would anyone do that I wonder, some of the threads where this has happened have been mildly sexual in nature, are fake posters getting a kick from these posts ?

Or is the suspect a disgruntled ex gransnetter being mischievous ?

I find it quite intriguing.