Gransnet forums

Chat

Leather skirt

(31 Posts)
Lilypops Sun 10-Nov-19 12:36:25

I have bought a nice faux leather black skirt, I have wanted to wear one for a long time , so first question is am I too old at 72 years but I think I am trendy and try to keep up with fashion , secondly what is the best way to style this and still look classy , it's a pencil skirt and sits just below my knee, Any tips please

Lilypops Wed 13-Nov-19 23:00:19

Thankyou Leyla .Jennifer E, for your kind comments on my faux leather skirt .looks real leather by the way , I think a below knee pencil style will look ok , I will have a look at Snag tights , I have never heard of that brand, I learn something new everyday on GN .

Lilypops Wed 13-Nov-19 22:53:13

Glammanana, I also live on The Wirral but grew up in Liverpool in the 60,s great time , great fashions ,

Fennel Wed 13-Nov-19 16:23:52

I saw some imitation leather skirts in Tesco this morning and thought they looked nice. Buttoned down the front. But very narrow at the hem, like 'hobble'skirts.
I do like the look with polo, beads and pencil skirt so
definitely try it (OP not me!)

Yehbutnobut Wed 13-Nov-19 13:14:54

No way .....at whatever age.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Nov-19 13:07:58

I think a black polo with a black skirt sounds less appealing than a coloured jumper to match same colour tights?

glammanana Wed 13-Nov-19 11:59:40

Lilypops Yes you are right I am from Liverpool area (The Wirral in fact) but spent a lot of my youth in Liverpool where we where known for our up to the minute fashion.
Talking of coloured tights my DD wears a leather skirt with mustard coloured and burgundy coloured tights,mind you mustard seems very popular this year so you just wouldn't go far wrong.

dragonfly46 Wed 13-Nov-19 09:01:42

I don’t wear skirts but I do have two pairs of —fake— leather trousers!

JenniferEccles Wed 13-Nov-19 08:58:11

I also have a leather skirt Lilypops !

Mine is a knee length pencil skirt, black.

I wear mine with black opaque tights and either a cashmere jumper (I have a variety of lovely colours) or a more evening type top.

I think the skirt is a classic which won’t ever go out of fashion.

Oh and it doesn’t squeak!

DanniRae Wed 13-Nov-19 07:19:30

If I was to buy a leather skirt it would be longish, full skirted and a nice brown. It would have pockets and I would wear it with a lovely soft, polo neck jumper of maybe a caramel colour. I can't visualise what boots I would wear but I would definitely stand around (posing) with my hands in my pockets, looking very stylish.
Sorry - not very helpful but I enjoyed my leather skirt fantasy! grin

leyla Tue 12-Nov-19 23:31:24

Lillypops have you discovered Snag tights? Fab colours and v comfy. I got my skirt to wear with my Snags! Hope you enjoy yours too!!

Lilypops Tue 12-Nov-19 22:57:58

Layla, coloured tights sound good , I was only planning on wearing black but,, now you have me thinking colours, I hope you enjoy wearing your leather skirt,

leyla Tue 12-Nov-19 22:38:31

I just got one today but mines above the knee. I plan to wear with coloured tights and a long sleeved tee shirt or maybe a jumper. I might wear long boots but probably chunky shoes.

Lilypops Tue 12-Nov-19 16:32:01

Hetty I do hope I don't look odd wearing my leather skirt , if I did I know my daughters would soon tell me, although I Am 72 don't look old or feel old , I shall wear it with class and style, and I hope look edgy , ? Gallusquine Thankyou I may post a pic but prefer to remain anonymous
Glammanana I had in mind my ankle boo tor my Mary Janes And black opaque tights , ooh so much excitement my leather skirt has generated !! I thought I read you were from Liverpool is that correct? If so same tastes ,

annodomini Tue 12-Nov-19 09:58:37

In the 60s a friend, tall, slim, sensational legs, had a tan leather mini which, as I recall, she wore with cowboy boots! I lost touch with her, but do hope that she has changed with the times!
Sorry - irrelevant, but OP aroused some memories!

glammanana Tue 12-Nov-19 09:44:02

Lilypops Wear it with a black polo neck topped off with any bright long scarf tied loosely around the neck maybe finished off with a chunky bracelet.
I would wear ankle boots with black tights but not the thick ones or a nice pair of Mary Janes.
I loved my leather skirt in the 60s I lent it to a friend and never got it back ?? some friend.

gallusquine Tue 12-Nov-19 09:28:02

Hetty58 The OP told us that her skirt was faux leather so no issue there.

Lilypops I congratulate you on you sense of style. I hope you post a pic of you wearing said skirt with panache.

Pantglas2 Tue 12-Nov-19 09:27:15

Lily pops did say it was faux leather.....

Hetty58 Tue 12-Nov-19 09:17:54

Maybe it's just me but I think leather belongs to the young. They look edgy/smart/sexy wearing it. Old people wearing leather just look very odd to me. I wouldn't wear it anyway, being vegetarian!

Lilypops Sun 10-Nov-19 23:21:36

Maddyone, Thankyou , Your satin skirt sounds lovely worn with different tops you will get lots of wear out of it,
We are going to a "do" on New Years Day and I will wear my leather skirt as a change from the usual black trousers,
I hope you enjoy your break over New Year,

Lilypops Sun 10-Nov-19 23:17:39

Shel miss if your mum can wear one at 82 years old I think I could pass muster at 72 and am told I don't look it,
Gagajo, yes it can be a young look and may not be flattering as you say ,but,am hoping that the way I will wear it will be flattering , which is why I asked for tips on GN,

Fiachna50 Sun 10-Nov-19 15:19:55

I wish I had the figure for a skirt like that, sounds nice.

GagaJo Sun 10-Nov-19 14:44:14

1) I think if you love it, you should wear it. 100%

2) I also think it IS a young look and possibly won't be flattering.

Mostly, we should say f**k the world, and wear what we want.

Shelmiss Sun 10-Nov-19 14:41:46

My mum wears a leather skirt and she’s 82! She looks fab in it, so I say go for it!

maddyone Sun 10-Nov-19 14:40:17

Lily, it sounds lovely. I have a satin black skirt, pencil style and just below the knee. I usually wear it on formal nights on a cruise, it teams up with a variety of tops I’ve got. I don’t tend to wear it otherwise, though I may this New Years Eve as we’re having a two night break in a nice hotel this year.
Enjoy wearing it, and no, you’re not too old.

Lilypops Sun 10-Nov-19 14:27:58

Pantglas that made me laugh , a squeaky skirt, mine is faux leather and it seems silent , it's a decent length so hopefully it will look ok , with the right accessories , I don't want to look like mutton etc etc !!