Gransnet forums

Chat

Yaris hybrid car

(13 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Sun 10-Nov-19 19:23:38

Anyone have one of these cars? Im wondering whether to buy a used one. Are they reliable and would you recommend them - any advice please? (I don’t do big mileage, maybe max 5000 pa, it will mainly for pottering around in.)

Alima Sun 10-Nov-19 21:00:00

Sorry Hooty, no idea, just bumping before your post slides off.

Elegran Sun 10-Nov-19 21:12:03

Somewhere I have seen an article about how to decide whether to get one, but I can't remember where. Try an internet search.
My daughter has one and likes it, but she drives some distance to work and back daily, so she makes good use of the hybrid facility. She buys very little fuel.

PamelaJ1 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:27:07

I haven’t but my friend does. All I can say really is that she likes it. Sorry not to be more helpful.

MawB Sun 10-Nov-19 21:35:10

You could try “Honest John” in the Saturday Daily Telegraph I have had good, impartial advice from him. You have to email.
I might be doubtful about second hand as I am sure the technology is improving all the time.
You would not be making any fuel savings for years with such low mileage.

Quercus Sun 10-Nov-19 21:54:10

I doubt if Gransnet is the best place for such advice. My second hand 2017 hybrid Auris is a lovely car, but not as economical as I was led to believe (it does under 50 mpg).

HootyMcOwlface Mon 11-Nov-19 12:57:39

Thanks everyone! I know Quercus, I just thought some of you on here might have one and might say you either loved it or hated it! I know nothing about cars and am dithering! Thanks again!

Esther1 Mon 11-Nov-19 13:29:09

We were all keen to buy one - secondhand not new, but were put off because it wouldn’t start in the show room for our test drive and the Dealer seemed flustered over charging it. We decided to wait until we upgrade our car next time in 3 or 4 years time when hopefully all teething issues will be resolved and there will be more charging points around - there are actually none at all in our local town car parks.

timetogo2016 Mon 11-Nov-19 13:31:12

My brother has one and he loves it.
Also he drove from Bristol to Sutton Coldfield in the west midlands and it cost him less than £12.
I will be buying one in the next couple of years.

humptydumpty Mon 11-Nov-19 14:03:49

I echo MawB's comment, Honest John gave me very helpful adviced when I emailed him with regard to having a broken arm and whether to get an aoutomatic - that was 14 years ago, I bought the car he recommended and it's still going strong!

Hithere Mon 11-Nov-19 14:07:36

I have a rav4 hybrid and I love it.
Granted it is not a yaris but Toyota's cars are always very reliable and their quality is outstanding

kittylester Mon 11-Nov-19 14:51:30

I think gn, is a good place to ask for real experiences.

DH has a Yaris which stalls a lot. Apparently, it's the way we drive!! confused

Franbern Mon 11-Nov-19 14:56:28

My son has one, (purchased nearly new) and absolutely loves it. He drives to and from work each day, mostly along a motorway, partially in town. It has cut down his fuel costs considerably.
Recently, he drove from Cheshire to me in East London, when I was in the process of moving, drove around there for two or three days, and when he needed to fill up cost him just £25.
One of my daughters also drives one, but a much older model. Again loves it. Only problem she has had with it is that the battery does not work too well, but she has overcome that by using a trickle charger overnight.
I would have loved to have a hybrid - but they cannot yet make these for small cars due to the weight and size of the batteries involved.