Gransnet forums

Chat

Sounds at night

(47 Posts)
Esther1 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:06:05

Laying in bed I can hear an owl hooting outside, otherwise everything is completely silent. What do other Gransnetters best at night?

craftergran Tue 12-Nov-19 09:53:47

The occasional car and sometimes cats fighting

BlueSapphire Tue 12-Nov-19 09:07:03

Absolutely nothing. But I forgot, I have the radio on all night, it helps me sleep and keeps me company.

Auntieflo Tue 12-Nov-19 08:22:33

Sussuration
I think that must be one of my favourite words DoraMarr

Riverwalk Tue 12-Nov-19 08:15:46

I sleep with the window open so do hear the first flight overhead around 04.20 if awake - it's not loud enough to wake me up.

Other sounds are the dawn chorus, foxes, emergency sirens, and the BBC World Service which is on overnight.

Lovely thread smile

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 22:06:56

Adding to mine, in summer we have few hours of total darkness, maybe four, and we often hear oyster catchers making their mewing noise. They really are the silliest birds. Although not as daft as pheasants.

If I'm awake around 1:30am I hear the mail plane going over at height, on its way to London.

Dottydots Mon 11-Nov-19 18:11:48

Triple glazed windows and quiet area, so I hear nothing.

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-Nov-19 17:48:12

I live in London but I am not on Heathrow's flight path (yet) and once the firework season is over- absolutely nothing.

Daisymae Mon 11-Nov-19 17:41:19

Nothing is the general rule. We have no traffic noise, no road front or back with passing traffic. Have heard owls in the past but not for several years now.

DoraMarr Mon 11-Nov-19 17:30:52

Sussuration of cars on the major roads, wailing of emergency vehicles, and occasional shouts of revellers from the hospitality suites opposite. I miss the sound of birds, owls and foxes from when I lived in the suburbs, but not enough to make me want to move back! The arrival of the dust carts in the small hours used to wake me when I first moved, but I sleep through it now.

timetogo2016 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:28:34

Snoring from one end and you can guess the other.

ninathenana Mon 11-Nov-19 10:59:35

In summer I hear the dawn chorus and the foxes that breed under the shed in the field at the bottom of our garden. Occasionally a flock of Canada geese honking as they fly over.
In winter it's virtually silent but we do hear the fog horns of the ships in the estuary.

henetha Mon 11-Nov-19 10:12:40

Owls mostly, sometimes a fox. It's very quiet with no traffic where I live.

gmarie Mon 11-Nov-19 08:27:18

So odd that I read this tonight. Last night I heard an owl outside of my window for the first time and I've lived here for 16 years!

Oopsminty Mon 11-Nov-19 08:23:15

Very quiet here

All I get to hear is my little dog snuffling and snoring

MamaCaz Mon 11-Nov-19 08:16:24

At this time of year, the occasional car passing until 6-ish, when the number picks up.

Random animal noises, the ones which bother me being bumps, scratchings and grinding noises from the loft above me.

Eerie, ghost-like howlings from the 'new' windows that were (badly) fitted two years ago.

Water pouring from the gutter and landing noisily on the water butts below our bedroom window when it rains.

Much of the year, heavy, noisy farm vehicles racing through our village at all hours of the night.

Rural life, eh! grin

sodapop Mon 11-Nov-19 07:33:44

Cats, owls and foxes here too. The cranes have been flying south, we heard them last night. Don't know if its unusual for them to fly at night.

NannyJan53 Mon 11-Nov-19 07:28:44

As I take my hearing aids out when going to sleep. Nothing, except for my Tinnitus

kittylester Mon 11-Nov-19 07:26:03

The grandfather clock in the hall. It has Westminster chimes so is rather like Jura's church bells but inside. It has been part of my life for over 50 years so I dont hear it unless I'm awake.

DH has Sleep Sounds on Alexa to mask his tinnitus so I can hear that.

First thing in the morning I can hear birds in next door"s tree and, as we live on one of the roads out of the village, more and more traffic until about 9am.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Nov-19 05:52:40

Seagulls and my radios

BBbevan Mon 11-Nov-19 01:59:48

Wind in the trees and the roll and thunder of the sea. Just now someone was throwing buckets of water at the bedroom windows. But they have gone away now !!

Fiachna50 Mon 11-Nov-19 01:04:51

I hear boyracers in the early hours, particularly at weekends. Occasionally, if it is quiet I hear the train. Usually it is quiet at night where I stay.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 00:21:56

Like others, owls, mainly. There's not been a sound outside for hours this evening. There will be some cars on their way to work in the early morning and tractors going to and fro.

I stayed in a hotel down south recently and was delighted to hear the church bells ringing on the Sunday morning. I lived near a Catholic Church as a child and the chiming of the hours was a background soundtrack to my life.

Tangerine Sun 10-Nov-19 23:31:19

Constant traffic. Visitors wonder how I can sleep through it but it doesn't worry me.

I have lived in big towns most of my life so perhaps that's why I am used to traffic noise.

I moved to a village once for a few years and noticed the early morning birdsong but it didn't take me long to get used to it.

MiniMoon Sun 10-Nov-19 23:28:39

Rain on the windows tonight.
Usually vehicles on the main road, an odd car passing my house.
I also hear owls hooting in the distance.
When there has been heavy rain I can hear the gushing burn at the bottom of the hill.

merlotgran Sun 10-Nov-19 22:56:12

Sometimes owls, often the strident warning call of a pheasant because a fox might be about.

Silence.

The 5am goods train will be the next sound but we're so used to it we'll be fast asleep.

In the summer my favourite sound is the distant gentle thrum of an irrigation engine.

We live in a field. grin