Gransnet forums

Chat

Lol

(87 Posts)
annsixty Wed 13-Nov-19 11:53:00

Does anyone else hate this abbreviation/ expression ,whatever as much I do?
I realised it is used by many people to express many things but I really dislike it.
It was posted as a form of ridicule towards me yesterday, perhaps partly justified in others eyes but it didn't go down well with me .
I am not asking for comments about that situation, just ,do you use it?

Daisyboots Fri 15-Nov-19 19:34:25

I am not bothered by LOL and have never seeen iit ised as an insult. I use it sometimes when messaging friends and find it so much better than the row of smiling crying emojis people use that isnt in the GN emojis. That seems over the top. I cannot stand 'whatever' plus 'you guys' especially when directed to women.

threexnanny Fri 15-Nov-19 13:32:15

I think people have been using abbreviations for a long time. My parents used to use PDQ (pretty damn quick) if something needed to be done in a hurry and an earlier generation thought TTFN (tat tar for now) was very smart.

humptydumpty Fri 15-Nov-19 12:33:15

paperback I've never heard of holibobs!

Gonegirl Fri 15-Nov-19 11:52:42

Drop the 'h'. Which makes it even worse.

Amagran Fri 15-Nov-19 11:49:19

Chrimbo?! CHRIMBO??!! Is that supposed to be Christmas? That is horrendous. Makes lol seem quite tame.

I don't think I will ever shop in Currys again!

leyla Fri 15-Nov-19 10:32:45

I use it all the time. I think it's a useful abbreviation and can often be popped into a text to ensure that the recipient knows that you are being light hearted.

Shropshirelass Fri 15-Nov-19 10:29:47

Aepgirl. Yes, I once used LOL on a reply to a very old male friend, we had been childhood playmates, nothing else. My other half saw it and took it the wrong way! Oh dear, the balloon went up then I showed him what it meant.

Paperbackwriter Fri 15-Nov-19 10:18:31

I hate hun, hubby and holibobs. All of them are twee and make me feel queasy. As for LOL, I've never used it myself because if someone's telling you something is funny, it rarely is!

Aepgirl Fri 15-Nov-19 10:05:22

I really dislike these abbreviations/acronyms. I won’t even use the shortened versions on GransNet.

As for LOL, so many people think it means Lots of Love, and is often used inappropriately.

TBH (to be honest) is another one - very often it’s just a way of saying something very hurtful.

Shropshirelass Fri 15-Nov-19 09:08:04

I hate Chrimbo too, it is on the Currys P C World advert and I hate it! Also late Laters. Also should of instead of should have, I could go on and on - becoming a grumpy old thing!!!!

Redactrice Thu 14-Nov-19 22:40:47

you’re, that is!

Redactrice Thu 14-Nov-19 22:40:25

I much prefer lol to haha as a way of indicating that your laughing.

grannyactivist Thu 14-Nov-19 22:19:42

I don’t think I have ever used lol, but I have no real objections to any text speak.

Language has always been dynamic and neologisms pop up constantly. More confusing is when words change their actual meaning and it takes a while for society, and therefore dictionaries, to catch up. So the words ‘dirty’ ‘wicked’ and ‘sick’ now can all mean ‘good’ for instance. It’s confusing, but not a new thing at all; did you know that the word ‘nice’ used to be the word for describing a person who was stupid or foolish?

When writing letters (in the distant past, before email and text were ubiquitous) I also used tee hee to indicate something humorous annepl. Now we have this little chap to do it for us. grin

NanaandGrampy Thu 14-Nov-19 21:51:24

I use it, I like it , I don’t care if I’m crass ( I’m definitely not uneducated ) ?. It’s quick, easy and I use it as a signifier that I am a) not serious and b) I find something amusing .

There are plenty of other phrases I find far more crass and uneducated !

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 20:08:52

I'm not sure why a lady wearing a duster coat and petalled hat in the 1950s should be vinegar faced Rosina!

I have a lovely photo of my mum at my uncle's wedding wearing such a coat and hat and it was probably about 1963?
I had a duster coat too, very fashionable at the time
I was about 17.
Mum was beaming.

Saggi Thu 14-Nov-19 20:04:07

I don’t use it...emoji’s are much better. Although of course they are not available for all!

MawB Thu 14-Nov-19 20:01:30

Oh Rosina Jane Austen was never a Jayne.

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 19:57:41

I've seen posters on here use meh and didn't know what it meant. It sounds as if it's a donkey braying.

EllaKeat Thu 14-Nov-19 19:21:11

I have to confess to liking 'meh'. It is so expressive I understand immediately how the poster feels.
LOL is overused and can be passive aggressive.
However, overall, I am a bit meh about it all ?( is that a lol)????

grannylyn65 Thu 14-Nov-19 19:18:56

Certainly not enough to post

grannylyn65 Thu 14-Nov-19 19:18:27

Really don’t care

EthelJ Thu 14-Nov-19 19:14:18

I don't like it either annsixty

Lindaylou55 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:32:35

The first time I encountered LOL was years ago and a young man in the office used to put this at the end of his email. I caused great hilarity when I asked one of the younger girls why he was sending me "Lots of Love" .

4allweknow Thu 14-Nov-19 18:05:01

Never use it, end of.

annep1 Thu 14-Nov-19 17:05:17

My best friend who died two years ago used to write tee hee.