Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Andrew

(917 Posts)
Lilypops Sat 16-Nov-19 22:42:02

Having just watched the interview with Emily Maitlis, I just cannot make my mind up about him , I find it strange that he could not recollect having that photo taken with the girl with his arm around him , I thought he was very cautious with his answers, What do you all think ?

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:05:19

Oh, my son calls me Mummy. Even though I told him not to when he was sixteen. hmm

I quite like it now.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:06:42

Younger daughter calls me Ma. Or uses my Christian name. Loudly. In shops.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:07:58

I agree moggie. I think there is more love there now though.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:09:05

I think Epstein killed himself. Couldn't stand the thought of years in prison.

Anniebach Tue 26-Nov-19 13:19:12

Photographs can talk ?

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:19:46

Eh?

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:20:44

Ah. See what you mean. Did they just shake hands? Bet they did. Weird.

Anniebach Tue 26-Nov-19 13:44:20

Not at all weird, 66 years ago and surrounded by the press

merlotgran Tue 26-Nov-19 13:49:40

trisher. You don't have to like your comrades in order to fight alongside them.

It's true Andrew was not popular but that wouldn't have made any difference to the way they behaved in combat.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 14:10:52

It is weird. They were still child and Mum.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 14:41:35

We have close naval friends who were serving when PA was. PA, in the navy, was not that different from the PA we know now: arrogant, with an overweening sense of his own importance, not the sharpest knife in the box and not much liked. Driving a boat does not call for the same interpersonal skills that Prince Harry needed when he was in Afghanistan. Anyway, PH is a naturally more empathetic person.

I called my parents mummy and daddy to the end, I was 64 when my father died. DD us calls mummy and daddy, DS has changed to ma and pa.

grapefruitpip Tue 26-Nov-19 15:10:20

" driving a boat" grin

I call my mother something unrepeatable.

Oopsminty Tue 26-Nov-19 15:12:19

We are Mummy and Daddy to our three.

To be honest I thought they'd change it to Mum and Dad as they aged but it never happened

Anniebach Tue 26-Nov-19 15:44:17

I called my parents Mammy and Daddy until they died, still refer to them as this.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 15:54:15

driving a boat grin
or chaffeuring a helicopter
Love it.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 15:57:05

DS hasn't called DH Daddy since he was about 5; usually it's Dad or Pa
I get called all kinds of other things as well.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 15:58:30

Ps boats are submarines in RN.

Davidhs Tue 26-Nov-19 16:06:22

“Driving a boat”

PA was Helicopter pilot during the Falklands War, in the front line and would have been at risk just like any other serviceman. As for comments from other colleagues, that is normal, some you get on with, some you don’t.

That aside he’s still a fool for getting involved with Epstein

Eloethan Tue 26-Nov-19 18:37:08

In 2005 the Telegraph reported:

People have chosen to take sooziewoozie's comments as a slur on every man who has ever served in the armed forces, which is obviously ridiculous and I don't think it was what she intended. She is entitled to her opinion without it being demanded that she apologise. There is some validity, I think, in what she says:

Telegraph 2005

Quarter of Navy women 'sexually harassed'

"Sexual harassment in the Armed Forces has reached unacceptable levels, [*what is an acceptable level*?] the Ministry of Defence said yesterday, as statistics showed that nearly a quarter of women in the Royal Navy had complained about it...............

" "Sexual harassment is all too often dismissed as a bit of fun or harmless flirting," said Jenny Watson, the commission's acting chairman. "But it can range from indecent remarks, the circulating of obscene material and requests for sexual favours, to stalking, sexual assault and rape."

"The commission wrote to the ministry a year ago expressing concern about the frequency and persistence of sexual harassment of women. It later emerged that more than 2,390 servicewomen had made complaints in 2002, the latest year for which figures are available.

"In the Army, 12 per cent of women said they had been sexually harassed. Nearly half of all officers and a third of all soldiers were unhappy with the way their complaints had been handled.

"The figure for the RAF stands at nine per cent, with 40 per cent of women dissatisfied with the time taken to resolve their complaints..............

.........."Mr Reid [the then Defence Secretary] said that sexual harassment was "corrosive" and could undermine the operational effectiveness of the forces.

"He said he was aware that there was a discrepancy between the number of women who claimed harassment and those who made formal complaints. But that was because they feared that making complaints would affect their careers or the morale of the people they were working with.

"*The commission said .......... the figures were all the more significant because women made up only nine per cent of the personnel."[my emphasis]

Perhaps a very unwise combination - a male whose only experience of life is of people kow-towing to him and acceding to his every wish - coupled with entering , in later life, a heavily male-dominated institution that is behind the times in respect of its approach to sexism (and racism).

Eloethan Tue 26-Nov-19 18:41:34

My apologies, I should have referenced trisher's post re Andrew and the Royal Navy, not *sooziewoozie".

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 18:43:19

Not at all acceptable I agree Eloethan

But they were not children.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 18:46:03

trisher's post listed the stages which she believed led to Andrew's present problems, ie his friendship with a convicted paedophile who trafficked chi,dren.
One of those stages was serving in "^the Army^ (sic)

There is no getting away from that statement, no excuses for it.

grapefruitpip Tue 26-Nov-19 18:55:19

Nobody knows do they, what lead him to make such terrible choices. A combination of power, wealth, good looks,charm and being surrounded by yes men I suppose.

Did his role in the armed forces contribute to his mindset? Its all a bit strange, the way he was allegedly madly in love with Fergie, then more or less absent after they married.

Pantglas2 Tue 26-Nov-19 19:01:33

Regarding your post, grapefruitpip, it could apply to all three of the Queens sons but only one has turned out dodgy.

Anniebach Tue 26-Nov-19 19:01:39

Not at all strange, he was in the Navy, members of the armed forces do marry and leave their wives st home when they return to duty