Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you started...........

(21 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 20-Nov-19 19:42:27

I have, wrapping christmas gifts. My DH said why are you doing that now ????
They have no idea do they, it suddenly creeps up and you are faced with a pile of gifts to wrap label and sort into Christmas bags. Who do they think does it, Father christmas' elves!!!!!

Alima Wed 20-Nov-19 19:46:29

Me too travelsafar. Wrapped the presents for the DGC and daughters. Just have to do those for DH tomorrow when he is at bowls. Double lot as his birthday is the 23rd December, some people have no consideration!

SueDonim Wed 20-Nov-19 19:49:03

I should be wrapping presents right now instead of being on GN. blush They need to be posted to America asap.

At least my Xmas cakes are in the oven! cupcake

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Nov-19 20:07:20

No, I do it much nearer Christmas when I have bought the gifts. None bought yet. Stocking presents and secret Santa gifts are purchased in the few days before 24th when coffrets, small gift-boxed sets and the like, are reduced.

fourormore Wed 20-Nov-19 20:09:11

All pressies bought and wrapped, cards written and those to be posted addressed and stamped, parcels for posting outer-wrapped and addressed.
Aren't I always this organised?
No way!
Our house is a building site with a new bathroom being put in. No point in doing housework as there is dust everywhere! I can't sit around and do nothing so got cracking!
I must admit it's a great feeling but that feeling will soon go next week when I have to clean the house!
DH can write his name in the layer of dust everywhere at the moment! Isn't education a wonderful thing grin

cornergran Wed 20-Nov-19 20:09:16

Gifts are sorted into bags and the bags are labelled. Nothing is wrapped yet. I may subcontract some of the wrapping to Mr C, well he keeps asking if he can help, wouldn’t want to upset him by refusing his offer. grin.

Hetty58 Wed 20-Nov-19 20:09:31

Nope, the week before is fine with me. We just buy for the kids in our family anyway so it's all perfectly doable then.

Jessity Wed 20-Nov-19 20:12:35

Have bought cards. Not written any. Not yet bought anything.

Years ago I worked with someone who “had” to buy and wrap all Christmas presents the day her daughters returned to school in September.

Each to their own but for me buying and wrapping so far ahead would quite spoil everything but we’re all different.

grapefruitpip Wed 20-Nov-19 20:13:42

No, I get paid on the 15th December, so it will be last minute.

Sara65 Wed 20-Nov-19 20:27:12

Not yet, I hate wrapping! I set up a pasting table in a spare bedroom, get all my equipment together, and get stuck in, but it really is my least favourite Christmas chore.

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Nov-19 20:32:55

It's the 32nd birthday of one of my daughters on 25th so we usually have a post Christmas shopping/entertaining weekend away in a luxury hotel and then mine shortly after. ?️??????

BBbevan Wed 20-Nov-19 20:47:06

Got all but one,of the presents so started wrapping and putting into family boxes. Also started writing the cards. As DH says "You'll be ready next week at this rate".

Daisymae Wed 20-Nov-19 21:07:45

No not wrapping yet, but all ready. I like to do it in Dec to get into the swing of things!

mumofmadboys Wed 20-Nov-19 21:11:48

I have written the cards and bought some presents. Have made a Christmas cake and pud. Was never ever this organised when I was working!

Grammaretto Wed 20-Nov-19 21:20:53

The one year I was organised with cards written and parcels wrapped was when I was expecting on Dec 25th.The baby was 2 weeks early so I was very glad.

Never since. In fact I seem to have a paralysis until after the birthday. Not sensible but we have always managed.

I have to be in the right mood and Christmas spirit otherwise I am Scroogelike and say Bah Humbug!!

EllanVannin Wed 20-Nov-19 21:23:07

I was far better organised when I was working, it was the continual motivation I suppose but it won't take me long once I start.
It's the Christmas cards and the writing of them that is becoming the biggest chore as there are so many to do.

I have got one or two bits for the children so far, the two older ones can have money, they're 13 and I'm not sure what they like. The rest can have games and books and art sets.
I'm in no hurry.

AllotmentLil Wed 20-Nov-19 21:46:47

Have got some wrapped and some cards written but I like to leave some and have a little panic nearer the time!

Pantglas2 Wed 20-Nov-19 21:52:27

As my birthday is in early December I’ve never started Christmas before that date and I find that three weeks is more than enough time to buy, wrap or write presents/cards. Why do people complicate things?

Cherrytree59 Wed 20-Nov-19 22:01:33

Only buy for our three grandsons.

AC and partners we give money.

So back to OP question
Yes, I have wrapped up some presents for my 2 eldest grandsons.
I had a couple of days under the weather and was cooped up at home, felt I needed to achieve something, so out came the Christmas wrapping paper.?
Also the birthday paper as have three birthdays just before Christmas. ?

Even though I felt quite virtuous when I had completed the task, I can't help but wonder if l am the only one who actually feels a tad disgruntled when wrapping several gifts of different sizes and shapes at a time??

Even when sitting at the table
with everything to hand, my neck and back starts to ache.
I feel the same irk, when faced with a pile of ironing.

I have tonight done some internet shopping for youngest grandson, so will be wrapping again in a couple of days.

The joy on their little faces as they rip off the xmas paper, quicker than it took me to wrap it makes it all worth while grin

Witzend Wed 20-Nov-19 22:04:55

It's the Christmas fairies who magically do everything in our house. Thinking what to buy - food and presents and everything else - making lists, buying and wrapping it all.

At least, that's what my dh evidently thinks!
Though he does at least come with me (as porter) when we do the crack of dawn M&S turkey/fresh stuff shop on the 23rd.

Witzend Wed 20-Nov-19 22:10:52

And PS, no I haven't started. Sundry presents are sitting on the dining room table, but first I need to get our massive bag of wrapping paper/tags etc. out of the loft and see what's lacking. Usually have a lot left from the previous year.

I need to be in the mood, preferably with carols playing, but I don't let myself play carols until 1st December, so it might be a while yet.