Gransnet forums

Chat

On thing you can't do......

(33 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 21-Nov-19 13:05:51

I just can not put on a cold cardigan. I have to rap over the radiator to warm it up first. The feel of my arms going into a cold sleeve makes me cringe!!!!! It doesnt bother me with any other garment just cardigans.

Bellanonna Sun 24-Nov-19 22:28:38

Hate being near balloons in case they pop

vena11 Sun 24-Nov-19 21:04:48

I can't have anything near my neck or anything around my face I can wear a scarf but it has to be loose, I can't stand a light or I cannot sleep and I cant go around round abouts if someone has not shown me twice what lane to go in , weird i know

Roses Sun 24-Nov-19 21:00:37

Can't walk on fresh snow as the crunch goes right through me, cotton wool used to be sold in rolls and I could never touch them for the same reason.

Grannybags Sun 24-Nov-19 20:55:01

I can't rub my eyebrows the "wrong" way.

Don't like to put on warm clothes straight from the radiator.

I'm another one who can't stand the thought of biting on a lolly stick and as for those wooden forks you get in chip shops.....aarrgh!

Suki70 Sun 24-Nov-19 20:52:05

I can't bear using sandpaper, it makes me shudder.

Sara65 Sun 24-Nov-19 20:46:51

Brunette
One of my daughters has the lolly stick thing, and so does someone I work with, I don’t get that one I’m afraid.

My personal one, which thanks to ring pull cans doesn’t happen often now, was my finger nail coming into contact with the opened edge if the tin. Oh, it makes me shudder to think of it!

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Nov-19 20:37:54

I'm the same, Brunette10. And the very thought of biting on a lolly stick makes me shudder.

BradfordLass72 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:52:35

This is an indication of just how differently normal we all are.

I have to have my duvet (or sheet in summer), up around my ears when I sleep.
I like polo necks too but not short skirts and never trousers or tights.

Can't bear anyone touching my back - I'm going goosepimply just writing this.

Where does all this come from I wonder?

After reading Ian Stevenson's 47 year research into past lives and how they affect present ones, it certainly bears thinking about.

sharon103 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:41:50

I can't bear a short fringe. It has to be just below the eyebrows.
I can't abide wearing full shoes unless it's really bad weather. I love my comfy flat black sandals.
I don't like full slippers either. Open toes and heels and bare feet even in the winter.
I don't like to wear a full length coat. I have jackets but do have a hip length leather jacket that I bought last year which I've worn just once.
Long sleeved tops and sweatshirts have to have the sleeves pushed up to my elbows.

Helennonotion Sun 24-Nov-19 18:30:17

I cant sleep without the bedroom window open. If I sleep in an unventilated room I wake up with a headache.

Brunette10 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:24:42

Can’t bear the feel of lollipop sticks, makes me cringe. If I have a lollipop in the summertime I have to wrap the paper around the stick. Yuk I can feel it now as I speak.

grannyticktock Sun 24-Nov-19 18:12:55

I hate having wet hair, unless it's hot and sunny. My daughters and granddaughters wash their hair and walk around while it dries, or even go out before it's dry. Not me. I like to get a hairdryer on my scalp, especially around my ears, as soon as I can - once my ears are warm and dry, I' m comfortable again.

MiniMoon Sun 24-Nov-19 17:43:49

I can't bear my fringe touching my eyebrows either DanniRae. Last week I chopped it off. I couldn't see properly without my glasses so it ended up being shorter at one side. I've just swept it to one side, it looks okay and nobody has commented ?.

I can't abide my arms being cold. I have to wear a jumper or cardigan, and if my jumper isn't warm enough I throw a shawl around my shoulders.

DanniRae Sun 24-Nov-19 16:22:27

I can't bear my fringe to be too long. Lately I have been walking round with it clipped to the side. I know it looks awful. I am going to the hairdressers tomorrow, thank goodness. Claudia Winkleman's fringe drives me crazy!

I also can't bear touching anything canvas or anyone else scratching their nails across it. shock

Bellanonna Sun 24-Nov-19 15:35:15

Can’t bear pop socks and can’t wear tights under trousers so spend most of the year with bare feet in shoes. When it’s cold I wear cotton socks with boots.

MamaCaz Sun 24-Nov-19 14:32:28

Oops, ignore the typo in my last sentence! blush

MamaCaz Sun 24-Nov-19 14:30:13

I can't bear to run my hand across velvet-type fabric. It has the same effect on me as chalk scratching on a blackboard.
When I was a child, a lot of people had suites covered in the stuff, and I couldn't bare to sit on them if my legs were bare.

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Nov-19 14:22:46

I can’t use wooden spoons or (shudder) eat from wooden cutlery. The feel of unvarnished wood just sets my teeth on edge.

Rainwashed Sun 24-Nov-19 13:44:55

I don’t like wearing knee high boots, or polo neck jumpers!

DoraMarr Sun 24-Nov-19 12:45:58

I can’t bear fingernails longer than the tips of my fingers. If I want to look smart I ask a manicurist to shape them and tidy the cuticles ( ergghh!) then put a clear nail polish on them.

AllTheLs Sun 24-Nov-19 12:34:49

My granddaughter is the same. She has a real problem with clothes against her skin. She refuses to wear tights, cardis, jumpers unless they are so soft as to be almost non-existent. She walks to school in this freezing weather with ankle socks and no school cardi under her (warm, but soft) coat. She worries me especially when she has a cough that has taken ages to clear up.

Greenfinch Sun 24-Nov-19 12:29:08

Standing near the edge of anywhere high even if it has a secure balcony. I always stand back as I don't like looking straight down.

Chewbacca Sun 24-Nov-19 12:26:36

Cannot bear to file or use an emery board on the 3rd fingers of my hands. All the other fingers are fine but even the most gentle of rubbing with an emery board on those 2 fingernails makes me shudder. Bleurgh.

EllanVannin Sun 24-Nov-19 12:21:25

Breaking in new shoes. My mum was the same as I remember wearing her new shoes around the house-----until her size 5's were too small for my size 6 as I went into my teens.

TwiceAsNice Sun 24-Nov-19 12:14:22

Can’t stand a polo neck either makes me feel too hot and restricted. Rarely wear gloves for the same reason