Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry potter . Thank you MN.

(11 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Nov-19 16:39:30

I have just received a beautiful illustrated copy of the Harry Potter book The chamber of secrets .?‍♂️

It is a Christmas present for my 6yr old grandson who is a massive HP fan.

It was recommended (yesterday) on a Christmas thread over on Mumsnet.

The book normally retails at £30.
However at present Amazon are selling it at £8.

I ordered on Amazon using my prime membership, so I did not incur postage charges.

The illustrations are stunning.
They are by an award winning artist called Jim Kay.

sodapop Sun 24-Nov-19 17:25:19

Lovely gift cherrytree and what a bargain. Your grandson will be over the moon.

Iam64 Sun 24-Nov-19 17:51:42

Thanks - leaves granset to order a copy on amazon ( refuses to feel guilty for using the Evil Empire(

eazybee Sun 24-Nov-19 20:19:56

That is why bookshops everywhere are closing, because Amazon and the supermarkets are shamefully undercutting them.

Iam64 Sun 24-Nov-19 21:00:58

understood eazybee - hence my reference to the evil empire but yes, I use it occasionally, mostly I shop in shopsI spent a happy few hours in Waterstones with our small grandchildren yesterday and a fair bit of money.
We lost small private book store years ago

One of the major problems is children don't read in the way our generation did. Our grandchildren go to the library, bring books home from school and a bed time story is essential. The two boys are huge fans of Harry Potter currently and will be thrilled with these books.

Cherrytree59 Mon 25-Nov-19 12:55:33

Thank you Sodapop he will indeed be over the moonsmile.

iam I hope you receive your book(s) and no need to feel guilty.

eazybee I understand your point,, but...
I buy my 3 grandsons a 'toy' or game from their santa list, something to wear and a book or two.
My budget for the books does not stretch to £30 each!
We do not have a local book shop or a Waterstones, therefore I would have to add fuel and parking into the mix or postage.

The lady that delivers most of my parcels has a job.
There is an Amazon warehouse not a million miles away, that provides work all year round and extra employment at this time of year.

And I can give my little grandson something that he will treasure, that is not plastic tat.?

Iam64 Mon 25-Nov-19 20:54:30

My two illustrated hard back copies of the philosophers stone and the chamber of secrets arrived today. Beautiful books, great illustrations , they will im sure be enjoyed. I’m so pleased to have been able to give them something special

polyester57 Tue 26-Nov-19 02:47:39

Many years ago, when the Harry Potters first came out, I bought one for my son. When I brought it home, I realized that there was something wrong, some of the pages were repeated and the end was missing. I took it back to the shop and got a new copy. Just recently I was reading on the internet about how a mismatched copy was sold at auction for thousands of pounds. Silly me.

timetogo2016 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:26:08

I understand what you say easybee for sure.
However if the shops were more fare with there pricing I would shop on the high street.
But I have limited funds for gifts so it`s online all the way.

grannylyn65 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:46:27

‘Their’

glammanana Tue 26-Nov-19 16:11:49

grannylyn 'Their' ??