Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen

(134 Posts)
Dottynan Sun 24-Nov-19 18:30:31

Mr Corbyn considers when the Queen completes her reign it would be an appropriate time to call it a day and have an elected head of state.

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 09:59:43

Not you get

Younger royals! does anyone know how to take auto-correct off please?

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 09:58:36

Many Australians love the you get royals since they got their own home-grown Princess Mary (Crown Princess of Denmark).
Wills and Catherine, now Harry and Meghan.

They were bewildered by the antagonism towards Meghan.

grammargran Wed 27-Nov-19 09:32:13

Princess Anne for king! She’s the best of the lot!

Iam64 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:04:16

I've been asked about Her Majesty by other Northern Europeans who were also on 'city breaks' in other parts of Europe. German and Dutch groups seemed especially impressed by her public service, as well as the pomp and ceremony for special events. These were not conventional right wingers (no offence meant to any here who would describe themselves as conventional right wingers)

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 18:41:36

Well, that flies in the face of the fact that the Queen is the one of the most most famous people in the world, according to polls and surveys done Grammareto

Although some of the others may not be so well-known.

Anniebach Tue 26-Nov-19 17:17:07

I have never been asked about Mary Queen of Scots or Wallace.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Nov-19 17:12:18

I meet a lot of young people from all over the world and some have heard of the Royal Family but most haven't.
They are interested in our historic castles and figures (ie. Lochness monster and William Wallace) but they wouldn't know names of kings and queens apart from maybe Mary Queen of Scots or Princess Diana.
But they will "live on" as a magnet for tourists long after the RF are put out to grass.
In Edinburgh the tourists are flocking to the Harry Potter experience. Sorry but it's true.

Nanny41 Tue 26-Nov-19 17:01:37

I think Mr.C should keep his views to himself

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 12:19:11

The palaces and castles are going to be there long after the monarchy is judged to be outmoded.
They may not, of course, come the revolution.
Look what happened last time. Many castles are in a sorry state thanks to Cromwell.

moggie57 Tue 26-Nov-19 12:13:40

LONG LIVE THE ROYAL FAMILY. they good for our country and for the tourists..ok they old fashioned but so is britain we got history going back thousands of years ,ok i agree they could live on less money.and pay bedroom tax .lol...

Ginny42 Tue 26-Nov-19 12:10:31

Tourists don't see the royals, they visit the historical buildings with the trappings of centuries of privilege on display there. The palaces and castles are going to be there long after the monarchy is judged to be outmoded.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 11:57:23

Did you curtsey?
Or were your knees hurting, like mine?

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 11:42:42

Queen waved to me once. Just me. There was no one else there.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 11:00:49

They probably assumed that you do.

Especially in Dundee

grapefruitpip Tue 26-Nov-19 10:57:07

Callistemon, I have traveled a bit, Skegness, 2 nights in a Shearings Hotel in Dundee,a day trip to Llandudno. Nobody has ever asked me if I know the Queen.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 10:42:32

And even though they got rid of their monarchy, they kept their castles grin
And replaced their royal family with a series of emperors!

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 10:39:32

Yes, but look at their weather grin

Saggi Tue 26-Nov-19 10:25:37

Don’t know wether he said it or not.... but I agree with the sentiment. Oh and as for tourism... France gets more money from tourism than we do, and looked what they did to their monarchy!

Anniebach Tue 26-Nov-19 10:18:55

I don’t think there will be permanent damage. The public and the media haven’t expressed anger for the Queen as happened over Diana , the Duke of Edinburgh was accused of murder

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 10:18:48

What, wherever in the world you have travelled?

grapefruitpip Tue 26-Nov-19 10:12:34

Sorry no, nobody has ever asked me if I have met the Queen.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 10:11:31

Have you travelled much grapefruitpip?

One question is often 'Have you met the Queen'?
One place we visited revere Prince Philip
Australian mags are full of pictures and stories of the younger royals

grapefruitpip Tue 26-Nov-19 09:58:12

I have never, ever met anybody who struck up conversation with the words "Gosh, I envy you and your wonderful Royal Family"

I think Andy might have done permanent damage.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Nov-19 09:44:12

Where are these countries? Shropshirelass who envy our monarchy. I haven't come across any lately.

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 09:43:27

why do we need so many lesser royals

There are not that many now, Grammaretro and presumably, if their services were not required by various charities and organisations, there would be even fewer. Supply and demand!

There's one less now anyway! so as I said before, perhaps Harry and Meghan can pick up some of the jobs that Andy did.