Gransnet forums

Chat

I Could Kick Myself

(27 Posts)
Brunette10 Tue 26-Nov-19 18:21:39

Just a wee moan as no-one else to share with. My DD sent me a link the other day showing a lipstick she would like for her Christmas. It was large brand name and no-one in our area stocks it so had no choice but to order on-line which tbh I don't have a problem with. I was so careful to ensure I had the brand, the right type of lipstick (there are so many these days) however once I found it I ordered through a large department store which was offering a good price through Black Friday. It's a price I wouldn't normally spend on myself but for DD Christmas I did not grudge at all. It came this afternoon only 24 hours after ordering it BUT I have ordered the wrong colour blush. After all the toing and froing I had to get it ordered I have made a schoolgirl error and not reading her request properly. It's the right enough lipstick just the wrong shade. To be fair the link she sent showed 001 pink but she was actually just showing me the brand and type of lipstick and had requested 006 berry which of course I hadn't read. You can't return cosmetics obviously so I am left with a lipstick which def does not suit me and tbh I did think it a bit strange DD was going for the 001 pink which is very pale as she likes darker colours for normal. £25 down the drain. I shall keep it and re-order the proper one this time and hopefully I will be able to give it to her at some point and hopefully she will get the use of it from time to time. End of moan. Silly me wink

Harris27 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:34:12

Oh now you’ve cheered me up! I’ve done similiar things on,y realised after going to the proceed button and remembered afterwards what I’d done! I will be careful in future but know I’ll do it again!

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-Nov-19 08:28:03

I ordered a presentation gift pack for a restaurant deal we’ve bought DD1 and DSIL for Christmas. It arrived yesterday. Quality cards in a vellum envelope, nicely printed, with my message which ends from your Secret Santa. And my name printed four times over the two cards and the envelope. I’m going to need some Tippex!

Auntieflo Wed 27-Nov-19 08:06:06

Not me, but DH forgot to send in the readings from the solar panels at sometime.
So now we just have had a small payment, instead of the nice large one that we usually receive in November.
Ah well, that's life!

ginny Wed 27-Nov-19 08:00:25

Received the gift I bought for Dd2 yesterday and have just had notification that it is on its way. Yes, I’ve managed to order it twice! At least I know the duplicate can be returned but still a pain.

Brunette10 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:46:17

Good Morning all and so nice to hear that I am not alone in fretting with online orders. I def can't return it as it clearly states on invoice no cosmetic returns. I know it's not the end of the world and it is only £25 but it was more my carelessness and lack of checking that bothered me. What does your teacher always tell you, read, read and read again. Yes I remember wink now. Anyway it's been nice to read all of your stories and confirms I am not alone. Thank you.

Sara65 Wed 27-Nov-19 06:56:39

I went to the paint shop and asked for 10 litres of white paint, popped it home to the decorator and went back to work, got home to cream ceilings! 10 litres of paint wasted, and a days pay for the decorator!

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Nov-19 01:05:51

Is it sealed? That is usually the sticking point with cosmetics.

ElaineI Tue 26-Nov-19 22:35:01

Are you sure you can't return it if it was online and £25 possibly?

NfkDumpling Tue 26-Nov-19 22:27:42

Like Tangerine says, save it for her birthday - which is hopefully in the summer when the lighter shade will show off her tan wonderfully!!

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 22:15:03

The last lot of net curtains I bought came back cream. I was sure I ordered white. Checked the online order and I had entered wrong colour. I don't like cream net curtains but I put them up and I'm living with them. Luckily it's only the bedroom windows.

Newquay Tue 26-Nov-19 22:13:36

I had a voucher for 20% discount for M&S. Placed for some towels-faffing about sizes, bath towel/sheet. Placed order and forgot to apply code!! Numpty! Had 1/2 hour to cancel order then start all over again!

Sillygrandma5GK Tue 26-Nov-19 22:07:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Nov-19 22:06:55

Looks like you are not alone Brunette! I get very anxious when trying to book online. There is always some sticky bit in the website which I don't understand. I much prefer speaking to a human.

Booking a cheap train ticket once, I filled in all the details online but the payment never quite seemed to go through and it was probably midnight when I called the helpline. The voice at the other end kept telling me to go to my bank!! at midnight. Right.
So I began again and bought another ticket but by this time all the cheap ticket had gone.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Nov-19 21:24:50

I booked a aeroplane ticket for my daughter and don’t know how but managed to add an extra letter on the end of her surname it was her first Christian name initial . She didn’t look at her emails for a couple of days then noticed the name was slightly wrong We went through quite a procedure to find out what to do eventually found out how to change a name it was Free to do in the first 24 hours (which we d well passed) after that £170 odd to change it I nearly had a heart attack After what seemed like hours trying to phone the airline we eventually found out that one letter wouldn’t make a difference Was I relieved but I still no idea how I managed to do that

Chewbacca Tue 26-Nov-19 20:14:37

I feel your pain Brunette. I ordered a pair of stud earrings for my DIL for her birthday. Clicked on what I thought were the right ones and paid extra for next day delivery. Wrong! Can't return them so I'm stuck with them until I can find another suitable recipient. And I've still got to buy another pair. ?

Tangerine Tue 26-Nov-19 20:07:40

Give it to your daughter for her birthday possibly. If it's too pale, she can mix it with something darker. All is not lost.

Sara65 Tue 26-Nov-19 20:03:36

I’m really cross!

I ordered some light fittings today, and forgot I had a 15% voucher code, could have saved £90.00!
I am really annoyed with myself.

MiniMoon Tue 26-Nov-19 19:58:44

DH did a similar thing as BlueSapphire's son in law. He booked train tickets for us to visit DD in Scotland, but the return date was the following month. We had to pay for single tickets for out return journey as they wouldn't change them.

BlueSapphire Tue 26-Nov-19 19:43:55

DD and her DH are going to Mexico on Boxing Day. DSil booked their tickets online and booked for the 26th November instead of 26th December. It cost them a fair bit to get it changed.

Brunette10 Tue 26-Nov-19 18:43:01

Feeling better already - it's an age thing I wonder wink or just plain carelessness.

halfgran Tue 26-Nov-19 18:39:54

That dratted autofill is a nuisance, booked hols for next year, we're taking our GD, it put her surname the same ad ours so had to ring next day to correct, luckily no admin charge made. The assistant did say it does happen quite often though so not just me.

grannylyn65 Tue 26-Nov-19 18:35:18

?

Urmstongran Tue 26-Nov-19 18:31:10

If it makes you feel any better Brunette10 I treated our eldest daughter at duty free on the way home in September. She asked for a ‘good eye make up remover, maybe Clinique?’

As they didn’t have any in stock I went more upmarket and for €27 bought her a Clarins one. Ouch! I wouldn’t spend that much on myself but like you I didn’t mind for daughter.

Recently she admitted she’d only used it once and then had inadvertently left it behind in the hotel bathroom in Barcelona.

?

Ilovecheese Tue 26-Nov-19 18:28:04

We've all done similar, at least you realised in time to order the right colour.

Pittcity Tue 26-Nov-19 18:26:55

You're not alone Brunette10.
I made a small error when filling in an online form for car insurance. It cost me a £30 admin fee to correct. I have paid Ryanair £80 to correct a similar error too.
In my case it was autofill that was my downfall.