Gransnet forums

Chat

Comfort food

(119 Posts)
Roses Tue 26-Nov-19 21:04:41

Tonight I made sausage and mash for my tea ,it was delicious and just right for a rainy cold night,my ultimate comfort food
What is yours?

Chewbacca Wed 27-Nov-19 17:51:33

Oh Callistemon, we had that for tea last night and it was delish! The GC like to make them. Its messy but they eat up every scrap!

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 17:47:48

I still like leftover mashed potato fried in a little oil with a fried egg on top - easy comfort food.
blush

Patsy70 Wed 27-Nov-19 17:42:33

My Nan used to make mash potato with a soft boiled egg on top for my tea sometimes - I loved it. Also, she used to give me left over Yorkshire pudding with syrup on! I've moved on since then. smile

Sussexborn Wed 27-Nov-19 16:59:23

Offal is not very popular with the younger generation according to our butcher. The liver can go in pate but not sure what happens to the unwanted kidneys.

When our children are coming to stay they request their Dad’s liver and bacon but just eat the mashed potatoes, bacon, sausage and onion gravy and we eat the liver!

Purplepoppies Wed 27-Nov-19 16:54:47

Toad in the hole , mash and beans with gravy. Always my choice of meal for my birthday as child (and adult if I was at my mums).
I love a good beef or lamb stew, in the slow cooker. Or a roast , normally pork, with crackling! Yummy. Now I'm very hungry and I'm off to make dinner..... pork chops with mash tatties I think ?

agnurse Wed 27-Nov-19 16:54:47

Hamburger soup (not nearly as gross as it sounds; you brown the mince first and then add it to the soup pot) made using my grandmother's recipe, especially when accompanied by a nice ham sandwich (ham off the bone, not processed ham) with mustard on thick homemade bread made with the bread maker.

This was a standard lunch at my grandparents' place when I was a child. YUM. (Grandma was an outstanding cook. Fortunately we still have many of her recipes.)

Damdee Wed 27-Nov-19 16:52:37

Rice pudding - but not any old rice pudding, and certainly not from a tin. It has to be made to my mother's recipe and made by me (as she is no longer with us).

Urmstongran Wed 27-Nov-19 16:49:27

Mashed potatoes. With loads butter.
Fried eggs optional.

Food of the gods.
Definitely.

Bijou Wed 27-Nov-19 15:58:41

Steak and kidney pie. Why is it so difficult to get kidney now?Also liver and bacon with brown tomatoey gravy. And mash potato.

Sandie58 Wed 27-Nov-19 15:56:23

Mum's steak and kidney pie mash and Swede sadly not had for a long time?

Calendargirl Wed 27-Nov-19 15:21:46

We’re having shin of beef in the slow cooker, with carrots, green peppers, onions, garlic, plus Savoy cabbage and mashed potatoes.

helgawills Wed 27-Nov-19 15:03:05

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Musicgirl Wed 27-Nov-19 14:38:41

Shepherd's pie or stew and dumplings. My mouth is watering at the thought of them.

Sheilasue Wed 27-Nov-19 14:14:28

Having sausage and mash tonight. Last night was roast chicken legs with mini roast potatoes carrots and peas. Yum.

Nanna58 Wed 27-Nov-19 13:46:06

A nice fresh ? salad. Nah- only joking, beef casserole and dumplings. Interesting that the most calorific foods the most comforting- definite design fault there Mother Nature!

Sussexborn Wed 27-Nov-19 13:24:34

Third message to vanish in the last half hour when previewing.

In brief:

Jacket potato with a little sea salt and ground black pepper. Knob of butter, grated cheddar cheese, lardons and mushrooms!

For a quicker fix heated tinned rice.

Apologies for any errors. Not risking preview again. My commerce teacher would be appalled!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 27-Nov-19 13:23:38

Wonderful mashed potatoes with plenty of butter and salt with some grated cheese and a soft boiled egg in the centre.

ayse Wed 27-Nov-19 13:22:16

Cheese, fruit cake and dark chocolate

Greengage Wed 27-Nov-19 13:18:58

Heinz baked beans on toast for me. I lived in the happy ignorance that this was everyone's number one comfort food!!! How wrong could I be?!

Conker Wed 27-Nov-19 13:12:17

Dippy egg and soldiers ?

GeorgyGirl Wed 27-Nov-19 12:51:41

separately, not altogether !

GeorgyGirl Wed 27-Nov-19 12:51:09

Toast with best butter, porridge oats and chocolate.

Craftycat Wed 27-Nov-19 12:40:22

I cook all our food from scratch- I love cooking but my comfort food is a fish finger sandwich!! I keep a packet in freezer for those days when nothing else will hit the spot.

Gonegirl Wed 27-Nov-19 12:31:02

MawB Hattie is so gorgeous. ?

JackyB Wed 27-Nov-19 12:16:00

Most of the above.

- marmite on toast
- rice pudding
- crumpets
- anything on toast actually

- also I did bangers and mash the other day. If I'm on my own

- a bowl of semolina