Gransnet forums

Chat

Environment and 'Ok Boomer'

(163 Posts)
WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 13:59:35

There appears to be increasing substantial bad relations between generations on social media, generation Y seem to blame Brexit, high housing costs,the high care and pension tax burden, the environmental and financial difficulties on the W - Baby boomer generation rather than the older V generation. There is also an increasing appetite for associated death for the elderly amongst the younger generation.

Do you find this situation happening in real life or is it mainstream and social media lead during a time of reduced resources?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/27/climate-emergency-world-may-have-crossed-tipping-points

RandyWhite Fri 16-Jul-21 11:50:26

I partially agree with your view on this situation. I can also say about the differences in view on the ecology. The modern generation because of the internet see all the ecological problems and methods of how to solve them and at the same time, the elder generations don't understand this, because they are concentrated on smaller everyday problems. I am sure that in this sphere it shouldn't be important how old are you and what status do you have and organisations like MyImpactPower prove this fact. They create different kinds of ecological projects using NFT tokens and I believe that such methods can really help our planet.

Lucca Fri 16-Jul-21 08:31:16

Er….. this thread is two years old!!

MatsukenDG Fri 16-Jul-21 08:26:32

To be honest, I don't think that it is actually so. I think that the real is a little bit different

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 15:49:53

History (or Physics, or Literature, or any of the traditional subjects that rarely lead to a job in the subject) are 'useless'?

But they aren't. Members of my family have made very successful careers, based specifcally on their degrees in History and Phsice and so have a number of friends.

Remember how big the heritage industry is in this country. not just the National Trust and English Heritage. There are countless museaums and attractions based on heritage assets. Not to mention conservation bodies and advisors. They employ a lot of historians.

Ditto physics there are commercial and academic research centres and high tech manufacuters in everything from medicine to space technology employing physics graduates.

I do not know any one with any kind of literature degree, but I doubt it is much different.

Doodledog Sun 01-Dec-19 22:42:08

I think that if more people studied the media, politicians of all persuasions would have less chance of hoodwinking people. I also think that the denigration of Media Studies degrees is because politicians don't like people having the skills to see through the way they (the politicians) use the media. I think it was Margaret Thatcher who coined the term 'Mickey Mouse' courses, but I may be wrong.

I didn't study Media Studies, but I did take a Sociology A level back in the day, and as part of that we looked at studies by the Glasgow Media Group, and it really did teach me to look at News stories very differently. I would be surprised if Media Studies courses didn't do the same.

In any case, for a lot of jobs, the subject is not the important thing. Management training schemes, for instance, take students based on their degree results and performance at interview, rather than the discipline.

How many people with History degrees go on to be historians? A few will become academics, more will become teachers, but the majority will use their skills of analysis, research and synthesis in much more general ways.

Is anyone suggesting that a degree in History (or Physics, or Literature, or any of the traditional subjects that rarely lead to a job in the subject) are 'useless'?

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 22:31:09

Perhaps they should have given it a different name

M0nica Sun 01-Dec-19 20:37:37

Media Arts degrees have come in since DD's day. then it was Media Studies - or Media Studies.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:18:54

There are two kinds of Media degrees - Media Studies and Media Arts. Media Studies study the media.

Media Arts students learn the how; the creativity, eg film making, documentary making, website design, post-production skills, communication via different types of media all of which is the future.

M0nica Sun 01-Dec-19 19:00:49

doodledog when people talk of 'useless' degrees. I do not think it is about the quality or standard of the degree as how easy it will be for someone to get a job after completing that degree.

Some years ago it seemed that every university offered degrees in Media Studies, far more people were graduating with this degree than there were jobs in the industry. DD was working for one of the major television companies at the time, her degree is NOT in Media Studies, and she said there were very few people in her company, who did have a media studies degree because there was very little demand for them, what was wanted was people with skills, like website design or content writers. Media studies only taught you about the media, not any skills the industry actually wanted.

I think this is what is meant by 'useless' degrees. The student graduates but finds it very difficult to get a job because their subject is either oversubscribed or only training for a very narrow range of jobs.

rosecarmel Sun 01-Dec-19 15:53:14

For U.S. options, check out: the car crash detective . com

Didn't want to post a link that might get deleted ..

But she provides extensive information on makes and models of both autos and carseats-

A sedan is environmentally friendly-er than an SUV- However, since SUV sales have increased, some corporations are phasing out/reducing sedan production -

muffinthemoo Sun 01-Dec-19 14:49:58

I am a millennial and a parent. Re car seats: there are only about two or three cars for sale in the UK currently that have three ISOFIX points across the back, and two of them have list prices above 70k.

It is possible to fit three car seats across the back of a limited number (about six) of saloon/estate cars if the seats have a three point seat belt restraint system, I.e. you belt the seat itself in and then belt the child into the seat.

You need to be careful to pick the narrower seats on the market.

I manage three under fives seats across the back seat of a 2 series BMW estate.

There’s also the Multimac which entirely replaces your back seat and bolts on directly to the chassis. I am considering a move up to this in a year or two when youngest is old enough to face forward.

www.multimac.com/home

Doodledog Sun 01-Dec-19 14:31:24

Well, I still don't know how you know that some degrees are 'second rate'.

I have worked in FE, and also in 'post-92' and Russell group Universities, and I know first hand that standards are maintained by rigorous Approval procedures and quality control in both types of institution.

My experience is not of enough different institutions to be able to talk of patterns, but based on the places I have worked and where I have been an External Examiner, I can honestly say that the idea of a second rate or 'useless' degree is nonsense where I have worked, and the same procedures apply across the piece, so I have no reason to assume that standards differ elsewhere.

As I say, their scarcity value has dropped, and they are no longer a path to a guaranteed 'good' job; but if that has opened up opportunities to more people, then I think that is a good thing.

I agree that FE has become a Cinderella sector, which is a shame, as it had a valuable role. When I worked in FE I managed HEFC courses designed to get people without traditional qualifications into HE, and they really did change lives, particularly for women who were looking to get back into work after having children.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 10:41:36

janea auxiliary nurses, now known as healthcare assistants are a much ,lower grade and much less qualified than the old State Enrolled nurses. I believe they coukdmadvance to Staff Nurse but not Sister, nurses needed to be State Registered to advance to sister and beyond.

The SENs I came across seemed caring and extremely competent and not above carrying out practical nursing to make patients comfortable something which seems sadly lacking these days.

CoolioC Sun 01-Dec-19 10:17:22

Working in my early years at a further education college, it was wonderful to watch builder, plumbers, carpenters, tradespeople go through. After 1982, saw the decline in these colleges to become the Cinderella of education. Higher education colleges that delved out HND’s turned into Universities that still to this day give out second rate degrees.

I understand that employers can cherry pick the best as they always have but now choosing from 1st rate Universities and second rate. This for students as some have written about on here must be truly crushing. A life of debt? I wonder how many 18 year olds when getting their A level results realise along with their parents that employers grade Universities? I find it a sad reflection that parents etc are so set upon getting their child into University they cannot see that it’s the child that will be saddled with debt.

I left Further Education as it became clear that there was just no point. Import knowledge and hands on from other countries where some countries produce “jack of all trades, master of none”.

Doodledog Sun 01-Dec-19 01:41:53

CoolioC I think you are talking about the past, though. There were jobs around then for people without degrees, but even so, it was a lot easier for those who had them to get decent salaries and job satisfaction.

The expansion of higher education has meant that whilst it is true that not everyone who has one is guaranteed a good job for life, far more people have a chance to make a career, rather than a job.

In the days when fewer than 10% of people went to university, a degree in anything would lead to a profession, or a managerial job, whilst people with fewer qualifications had a much harder time. Now that more people have degrees, the privilege that used to be given automatically to graduates has gone, and I sometimes wonder whether there is an element of resentment about that.

I also wonder why people think that some degrees are not worthwhile. How do they know? All any of us have is experience of what we have studied, and who has studied countless degree subjects?

It may be that people can't immediately see the value of some courses, but unless they have seen the validation documents, or sat in on the countless meetings with QAA, external examiners etc that are required simply to make changes to modules, never mind propose a new degree, they really aren't in a position to judge.

Anything else is simply prejudice or anecdotal 'evidence', surely?

CoolioC Sun 01-Dec-19 00:34:28

Nothing wrong with SEN’s. Healthcare assistant sound like Auxillary nurse to me.

CoolioC Sun 01-Dec-19 00:30:47

I agree Doodledog. Degrees do let people apply their theories etc. The problem is, that some of the degrees are not worthwhile. Families want their children to go to Uni to obtain a degree that really is not worthwhile, saddling the person with debt for something that is useless.

The top two classes at school went on to A levels, mid classes went on to Tech to do plumbing, carpentry, nurses, admin etc. The bottom two went on to hairdressing, factory, shopwork. None of this work was not seen as noble? Nowadays, the child has to have a degree, why? Why saddle an underachiever with debt? I have watched a relative go to Uni against his wishes, achieve a 2/2 and now work in the capitol. His friends went to college, did an old fashioned apprenticeship via their father and earn a lot more and own their own home in their latter 20’s than my relative in the capitol in some sort of bedsit! Snobbery and Jones, I believe.

janeainsworth Sun 01-Dec-19 00:20:31

families don't need SUVs, they can fit 3 children in the back seat of a sedan

Rosecarmel in the U.K., health & safety regulations make the use of age-appropriate child restraints mandatory. You can’t fit 3 child car seats across an ordinary sedan(saloon) car. Children need these restraints till they are about 8, so many families need SUVs.

CoolioC Sun 01-Dec-19 00:18:40

Sorry janainsworth, disagree with you regarding nurses and police officers.

People and their bodies have not changed from when nursing’s started, we are the same. Degrees are not required, the public have been led to believe that you need to be more clever to do this work. The same with policing. You cannot enter in the middle or the top and expect respect from lower ranks to those who have never walked the streets in their lives. Degree entrants come into the job and issue orders without really knowing what they are talking about, no wonder the forces are in such a state.

janeainsworth Sun 01-Dec-19 00:13:15

Callistemon The healthcare assistant role is an option for someone who wants to work in hospitals with patients, but who doesn’t want to take a degree in nursing.

rosecarmel Sat 30-Nov-19 19:57:01

notanan, it came up during a discussion about the choice of vehicles and environmental impact- My take was families don't need SUVs, they can fit 3 children in the back seat of a sedan- The use of it (ok boomer) of course sparked laughter and derailed the discussion-

It's a numbers game trap Boomers do create choices, qualifications and legislate- By design the game is set up to entice spending and generate profit for boomers When millennials over-spend which the game is designed to entice them to do the earth itself also pays-

I'm not saying millennials are the only generation to practice over-spending- I'm just stating a fact-

Callistemon Sat 30-Nov-19 19:06:53

I do think that bringing back the SEN or equivalent is a good idea for those who want to go into nursing but not take a degree.

SENs were wonderful

Callistemon Sat 30-Nov-19 19:04:16

Buffybee am I your daughter?
No, silly question, but her life sounds like mine 35 years ago.
Plus having an elderly disabled mum to care for.

How did I do it?
Actually, some of them were couples today, lucky them, DH used to avoid the shopping as he wasn't home much. He likes food shopping now!

The older the person, the more polite they seemed to be.

Gonegirl Sat 30-Nov-19 18:55:58

The more degrees about, the better. Education is all.

Doodledog Sat 30-Nov-19 18:52:03

A degree may or may not be necessary for a particular job, but it teaches students to think critically, to apply concepts and theories across a range of areas and to be independent and able to mix with a range of different people.

I feel sorry for young people who work hard towards their degrees, only to have them 'rubbished', either by people claiming that they are easier to get now than in their day, or by those who didn't get one and claim that all degrees are useless.

It's not surprising that some young people lose patience with the older generations, really.