Gransnet forums

Chat

Black Friday

(20 Posts)
EllanVannin Sat 30-Nov-19 12:35:54

Nope, I'll stick to Ebay. Even the high street shops who are on Ebay are cheaper than being physically inside the store when you think you're getting a bargain. Shops always add-on because of the overheads so there are no bargains to speak of, not now anyway.

jo1book Sat 30-Nov-19 11:47:23

John Lewis had 20% off my make-up, which I needed to buy; well pleased.

glammanana Sat 30-Nov-19 11:38:34

I just haven't noticed any reduction in prices its all just hype imo.
In September I bought the gifts for my GGCs from Mothercare toy range all at 50% discount and all where on my list,the same gifts are not showing any discount to their original rrp on line so I 'm happy.

Curlywhirly Sat 30-Nov-19 09:35:30

Yes, went to a shopping outlet and got a few Christmas presents, all with 20% or 30% off the usual outlet price.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Nov-19 08:36:54

NOOO

Witzend Sat 30-Nov-19 08:26:44

I made the mistake of going Christmas shopping yesterday - not for any BF deals - just looking for inspiration and a few things already on my list.
The town was absolutely heaving!
I can well understand anyone in want or need of a particular item taking advantage of BF, though - as long as the deals are genuine.

Humbertbear Sat 30-Nov-19 08:20:52

My daughter found a website that tells you the previous price of an item for sale on Amazon. So I didn’t buy the magnetic bracelet on sale at £18.99 which had been £13.99 the previous month. She did, however, buy a new pair of headphones. I do think the trick is to have a list of items you want / need and stick to it.

Chewbacca Sat 30-Nov-19 01:24:52

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you Bradfordlass but everyone ones that Sunday is palest pink. Purple indeed! As if!

BradfordLass72 Sat 30-Nov-19 00:40:23

Maybe it's because I'm from Yorkshire, or perhaps because I'm just a cynical old bat but if someone tells me I can save 60% on the previous price, I immediately think they were previously charging was 60% more than the item was worth.

I don't like profiteering whatever colour the day is.

BTW, Friday is red, not black.

Just as Saturday is white, Sunday purple, Monday maroon, Tuesday pale blue, Wednesday willow green and Thursday dark, British Racing, green.

M0nica Fri 29-Nov-19 12:44:09

No

ninathenana Fri 29-Nov-19 12:43:09

I've bought on line today saving a total £100 on 3 items I intended to buy anyway.

JenniferEccles Fri 29-Nov-19 11:59:46

It seems to go on for over a week now. I’m also not convinced that the bargains are that good.

I hate the thought of manic shops too.

Sara65 Fri 29-Nov-19 11:41:01

Oldwoman

Like you, I assumed it was last week!

Nonnie Fri 29-Nov-19 11:29:52

I have a list and if what I want is on there and cheaper I buy it. Mostly online. I love a bargain but always check that it is.

hazel93 Fri 29-Nov-19 11:20:24

Of course, most discounts are a con. this is the first year I have ordered on Black Friday.
Wooden train set for GD and scented tea lights from John Lewis both of which I know are a good deal and on the list anyway.
If it ain't on the list it ain't a bargain !

merlotgran Fri 29-Nov-19 10:52:49

I've just bought a SatNav from Amazon (Black Friday deal).

DD2 is moving to north west London today so despite DH thinking he is the world's answer to SatNav (he isn't and we always get lost) I'll put up with his travel anxiety/insistence that he knows best/yelling at other drivers/telling me I'm in the wrong lane when I'm not so that I can arrive calm and sane and not a pale faced gibbering wreck. grin

Putting a bag over his head would be a cheaper option but I doubt he'd agree.

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-Nov-19 10:41:22

No, I buy things when I either have to or want to.
I’m trying very hard not to want much these days.
Ellianne, there will probably be better bargains in a week or two. I think that’s it’s been reported in many places that Black Friday is a bit of a con.

Ellianne Fri 29-Nov-19 10:29:58

I can't resist a good shopping expedition! This week I checked out several items in the high street stores hoping they would be reduced today online. No such luck, so will just order them anyway before they all sell out in the rush the hype generates!
I guess it's different for working people who get their last pay before Christmas today. The staff have an inset day at DG's school today and I'm sure it's to enable the teachers to go Christmas shopping!

tanith Fri 29-Nov-19 10:29:13

No

Oldwoman70 Fri 29-Nov-19 10:15:59

Does anyone plan to go to the Black Friday "sales"? It holds no interest for me at all - in fact I thought it was last week because of all the emails I had received declaring how much money I could save! (hint - I can save 100% by not falling for the hype!)

I doubt there will be many real bargains available, just a few headline grabbing ones.