Gransnet forums

Chat

Traveling With Sick Child

(15 Posts)
NanaDiana Sat 30-Nov-19 04:36:14

My son and daughter-in-law have a four month old baby that is in the 2nd percentile for Weight for his age. He recently was sick with the flu and was hospitalized overnight due to his low weight. The child nutritionist is working with our daughter-in-law to help him gain weight. They have had a trip planned to fly from the US to England to visit friends the second week of December. The baby is going back to the doctor every four or five days to check his progress on weight gain. I gave my daughter in law a ride to the doctors office and on the way home she mentioned their trip to England. I was certain that they would be canceling the trip but it sounds like they still plan to go. I can’t imagine that their doctor would think it would be okay for him to travel under these circumstance. I am so upset in what I consider to be such a lack of judgment. I have not said anything but I am so worried with such a long flight and him being away from his doctor. This is shocking to me because they have been so protective of him that this seems to be such a contradiction. I am just worried And feel helpless as his grandmother. Any advice?

Summerlove Sat 30-Nov-19 04:53:02

While this sounds crazy to you, they have discussed with their doctor, and likely have a plan in place.
Thankfully there are many doctors in America.
Sadly for you, you’ll just have to trust them.

BradfordLass72 Sat 30-Nov-19 06:24:50

As the flight is from the USA to England, I am assuming they know people there who have access to a doctor who could see the baby in the event of problems?

Even if they don't, I'm sure no UK hospital would ever turn away a baby in an emergency, however bad the NHS has become.

Your dil has all the information necessary to feed the baby appropriately and now that he is not actually sick any longer, the doctor probably feels he can travel safely.

Please try not to worry; he will be with his Mummy and Daddy who clearly take his health seriously.

Growth charts which give percentiles are based on averages and are not an indication of any serious issue.

If it helps, Dr Paul Young says: "don't get too hung up on your child's percentiles. The most important thing is that your child is growing at a steady, appropriate rate, not that he's hit some magic number."

Witzend Sat 30-Nov-19 06:51:30

I do hope your worries will be needless, OP, but I do understand how you feel.
My little grandson was in and out of hospital with bronchiolitis, the first time at only 4 months - more than once he was in intensive care. Despite complaints about the NHS he always received the most excellent care - we were so very grateful.
Assuming he is not going to be in the back of beyond, with no medical help anywhere near, do please try not to worry too much.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Nov-19 07:26:13

Please don’t say however bad the NHS has become bradfordlass we still have an excellent service and yes of course the baby would get treatment if he became ill in U.K.
Many of our children’s hospitals are still second to none and although the cities are overrun I can only speak of my local hospital which gives brilliant service under a huge strain The NHS is still a wonderful service
Although you are scared for him nana they sound good parents and I m sure they will have discussed this thoroughly with their own paediatrician in US and be guided by him/her
It’s amazing how some tiny born babies become strapping big kids
Try not to worry he is even more precious to them and they won’t do anything to harm him, perhaps the trip will even do him good
Will they be back for Christmas ? If so concentrate o that x

M0nica Sat 30-Nov-19 07:32:43

The NHS is at its best when dealing with emergencies. A very young underweight baby would get instant treatment. I assume they will have full medical insurance.

Hetty58 Sat 30-Nov-19 07:34:43

When you look at the situation logically it seems OK. The baby is seeing the doctor every 4 or 5 days so an 8 hour flight shouldn't be a problem. Presumably, they have followed their doctor's advice, have made plans and can access NHS help if needed.

EllanVannin Sat 30-Nov-19 08:41:02

I can't see there being a problem. While flying to Oz one time there was a 6 week old baby in a bassinette opposite to where I was sitting and his parents sitting next to me.

The family were Australian and on a visit to the UK when this little one had decided to arrive while they were here. After a stay in hospital they were eager to go home and this tiny little thing travelled with them and was fine with mum feeding him every couple of hours all he did was sleep.

A much longer flight but no harm was done and all was well when we landed with the new grandparents overjoyed as they'd met them at Sydney. A lovely time for all. Parents and baby were allowed off with the first class passengers to avoid any hassle.

sodapop Sat 30-Nov-19 09:12:55

I can understand your concerns NanaDiana and I would feel the same way. I'm sure the parents will take advice from their doctor in USA about travelling. Their friend should check out the availability of local Drs etc should it be needed. I assume they have all the necessary insurance in place.

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 30-Nov-19 10:29:56

My D is now 25 and has been considered underweight all her life. However, she’s fit, healthy, a triathlete and now works as a paramedic after leaving the Navy. I was put under all kinds of pressure during her early childhood but a sensible paediatrician asked me to bring what would have been her normal lunch. He sat and watched her eat it, then discharged her. Now she ensures she eats properly and regularly - but at 5ft 8in still struggles to remain over 8st. Some people just don’t fit the expected.

endlessstrife Sat 30-Nov-19 12:14:35

I hate all this ‘ percentile’ business. It’s saying we all have to be the more or less the same. My DIL was told the other day by her Health visitor, that her 10 month old son was fine, but not tall enough!! How tall was he meant to be then? My DIL is 5’ 2”, but my son is 6’ 4”, so hopefully all is not lost. I’m sure your GC will be fine, as are so many more people who despite everything, manage to get through to adulthood.

Summerlove Sat 30-Nov-19 12:22:49

I’m sorry, I did read it backwards.

The theory of my comment still applies.

Hithere Sat 30-Nov-19 12:23:53

Don't worry, I am sure they have talked with the doctor and it is safe to go.

As for percentiles, it is important the child follows the same growth trend, not hitting certain numbers.

M0nica Sun 01-Dec-19 20:58:30

It is not where in the distribution of heights, weights etc, but whether the child is thriving at whatever point on the distribution they lie.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 22:02:15

NanaDiana my DD lost a lot of body weight quite quickly when she had bronchiolitis as a baby but regained it very quickly when she started feeding again.
I assume he is being breastfed which is the best defence against catching anything else. He is too young for solids so all your DIL can do is feed on demand and stay relaxed so she has plenty of milk for him.
Babies usually (not invariably) sleep and travel well at that age.

They could register as visitors at a surgery when they arrive here.