Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you discover relatively late on in life that everyone else had known for years?

(193 Posts)
SirChenjin Sun 01-Dec-19 19:53:23

Come and confess at the Alter of How Did I Not Know This - no judgments made here! grin

1. I didn’t know that the Earth was tilted on its axis - I thought we just moved further away from the sun in winter and closer in summer, which of course makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

2. I thought gravity was a sort of magnetic force emanating the centre of the Earth that pulled every downwards.

3. I was fascinated to learn that Brazil nuts are actually seeds (that doesn’t make me sound quite so daft as the first two blush)

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:47:28

wink

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 19:46:49

And that there are some super quick witted people on here Cheers Callistemon

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:28:34

ah, but you have now learnt that moving house is not the same as having a new job and that short is not regular BBbevan
grin

See, we're never too old to learn.

And that two cakes are better than one

SirChenjin Thu 05-Dec-19 18:50:36

grin

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 14:56:24

Sorry folks. The last bit should have been on What I did today. I'm obviously having a bad day

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 14:53:59

Help ! I eat a lot of figs.

Went out for a quick shop. A neighbour is moving next week. so went to get a gluten free cake for a get together we are having before she goes. Got 2 small cakes ( I would have liked something a bit festive but not in free from). The card I bought says new job, and I bought a pair of jeggings to go under a tunic , short when I need regular. So back to the shop tomorrow. I will go early though as it was heaving by lunchtime today.

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 14:29:42

Bleurgh! I used to like figs, so thanks for that BradfordLass! envy (not envy)

Urmstongran Thu 05-Dec-19 14:05:15

I’ve gone off figs now ....
?

MissAdventure Thu 05-Dec-19 13:48:31

The figs, the figs!

I never knew that! shock

Sussexborn Thu 05-Dec-19 12:33:27

For years I prayed “Let the petrol light shine upon us”. Petrol/perpetual? My version made more sense!

MamaCaz Thu 05-Dec-19 09:27:14

When I got my first job after school, in an office, I was quite shocked to discover that the 'adult' women were as bitchy and fickle as schoolgirls. For some reason, I had always imagined that adults were above such things.
Naive, or what!

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 09:22:25

Now I know why I dislike figs.

My mother used to give me Syrup of Figs when I was young. It kept us 'regular'. All those wasps I drank!

SirChenjin Thu 05-Dec-19 09:17:48

BradfordLass72 - I’m shocked about the wasps and the figs envy <- not envy. A quick google check confirms that it is indeed true (not that I was doubting you...much! grin) I don’t think figs will feature on my shopping list from now on.

I was older than I should have been when I found out that Timbuktu was an actual real place.

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:21:16

It was only last year Purpledaffodil that even learned about Hassleback potatoes!
I always use chopsticks to prevent my knife completely going through.

I didn't know, until I started growing them a few years ago, that figs were fertilised by a wasp which, after laying her eggs, dies inside the fig.

Meaning every time anyone eats a fig, they also eat a dead wasp - albeit digested by enzymes in the fig.
Figs are not fruit but inverted flowers.
I didn't know that until quite recently either.

shysal Thu 05-Dec-19 07:28:23

When I was a child we used to drive past a sign which read 'LAYBY LAVATORIES'. For many years I used to wonder how anyone could pee when lying beside the loo!

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 06:07:52

Plant crossing, meant heavy machinery. Not greenery or the Welsh for children

fatgran57 Thu 05-Dec-19 02:17:03

That HAZCHEM signs mean hazardous chemicals. Had no idea until a few years ago! Really pathetic I knowblush

Grandma2213 Thu 05-Dec-19 00:33:25

Blodwen1910 Mice in Plicity! grin grin grin. I really want a rolling about with laughter icon!!

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 22:15:12

The recipe my mum used was the same as the BBC one by James Martin, Rufus

Can't do a link, sorry but google BBC recipes, easy bread sauce.
I hope it's the same as your Vera's!

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 22:11:39

grin yes!

Ohmother Wed 04-Dec-19 21:44:33

I learned that when new tribes were discovered in the jungle the explorers found out roughly how old the children were by getting them to put one arm over their head and touch the opposite shoulder. Apparently this is not possible until we are a certain age ( adolescent?).

Go on.... you’re all trying this now aren’t you? ?

Riggie Wed 04-Dec-19 18:48:57

Absthame mine is a french car and its in the right.....

Ninarosa Wed 04-Dec-19 16:49:37

And still learning: was told today that I can microwave a full skin on,turnip for twenty minutes on high. When done, just scoop the flesh out.No wrestling it to the ground to peel it.
Then maybe drown it in some of Rufus's bread sauce.

Rufus2 Wed 04-Dec-19 08:25:52

I was surprised when I found that our 2 DILs (Aussies) had never heard of "bread sauce" let alone how to make it until my darling Vera showed how; she made a wiz. sauce as learned from her mother who in turn must have learned how when she was "in service" as most were in her day.
Even today, Jacqui, one of my nurses knew nothing! hmm
I've already printed a recipe off the Internet for her return on Friday,but it's a bit commercial and probably won't be anywhere near as good as Vera's, but it will be a start.
And I'm hoping they all won't get uppity at being advised by a MAN; or will they? confused

BlueBelle Wed 04-Dec-19 08:08:21

Because of bringing three children up alone with little money I had lots of jobs cleaning, home helping, shops anything that I could work around then and I didn’t know until I was 40 what a CV was when I asked my friend and she explained it all to me (how’s that for dumbness)